Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2014
The Broken Circle Breakdown (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

I don't own any bluegrass music but yet I have had this on loop in the car ever since it arrived 13 days ago. I am not exaggerating when I say this is one of the most sublime collection of songs I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The voices are superb, the music is first rate and the production is faultless. I fell in love with the film all the more for the music, but you do not need the film to guide your fall into this heavenly album. There are too many standalone tracks for me to single out just one. Buy it for the best rendition of 'wayfaring stranger' you will have ever heard, and 'if I needed you' is heart-breakingly beautiful. There are also bouncy perfection including 'country in my genes', and a couple of unexpected stunning instrumentals. This is music for living to; it is real, substantial and I would go as far as to say healing. The circle is truly made perfect!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 February 2014
I'm not a genre admirer of bluegrass music, but this CD might make me think I could become one!

Hooked into it on the back of the Belgian film which this is the soundtrack from The Broken Circle Breakdown [DVD] I headed over to buy this pretty instantly, worn out by having to go to YouTube, again and again, in order to play trailers to hear tracks again.

So now the music is merrily (and heartbreakingly) playing, and dissociated from those stunning performances in the film where the tracks are in a different, progressive order and each track is telling the story of what is happening for Elise and Didier, I can settle to form a musical relationship with the CD.

Within the film itself my focus was on vocal performance from Veerle Baetens and Johan Heldenbergh. Baetens has a sweet, fragile voice working particularly well on the stick a knife into the heart tracks, though there is a lovely openhearted freshness in her rendition of bouncier numbers like Country In My Genes, whilst Heldenbergh has more textures in his voice, rich, full, even a little rough and burly on the Bruce Springsteen number Further On Up the Road,and lighter, more tender, without the grit in his duets and accompanying numbers with Baetens, as befits the way the music is used to explore their relationship as individuals who sing love songs with each other.

Divorced from the film, it is the quality and texture of the marvellous musicians that I'm now drawn to engage with: the weavings, the riding a horse trot and bounciness of the rhythms of the faster numbers, trotting, cantering galloping Yeeeee ----Haaar! so that sitting to listen is hard, the listener forced to toe tap, arm shake and finally give in and jig and skip. Finally (because of the different order of tracks in film and CD) you are allowed to rest, catch your breath and and hear how tender and soulful Bjorn Eriksson's guitar, and the viols or mandolines of Geeart Waegeman and Nils de Caster can get.

The purely instrumental tracks are a wonder and delight of flying, flirty weavings, call and response, back-chat and breathless virtuosity

Within the film itself the movement of the music is one of steady darkening, the fizz and ebullient, show-off daredevil champagne tracks occurring earlier, and the steadily painful tracks of loss and despair and loneliness inevitably charting the sad journey of the film.

The CD mixes this up , and this is indeed a much better arrangement for a stand alone.

Who knows, I may find myself wanting to don that cowboy hat and become a country gal after all!
on 29 December 2014
Beautiful bluegrass music, sang by Belgian actors/artist. I didn't even know they could sing like that! I listen to this cd quite often. The music is pretty, clear and the vocals are perfect. Some songs make you smile, others make you feel sad.

I also recommend the movie itself.
on 12 April 2014
after watching this stunning film of emotional ups and downs, of an insight in human relationships, of despair and of the healing effect of music, I knew I had to have the soundtrack.
I am not normally a country/bluegrass fan, but listening to the pieces on this cd, I am once again transported back to the emotional rawness of the story.
I know that listening to any bluegrass music, anytime, anywhere will never be without the memory of a film that touched me to the core of my soul
on 1 July 2013
Blue grass is a great sound, and this album matches traditional with some more modern takes on the style with ease. I bought this for my husband who loves bluegrass, and was a little surprised to find that I loved it too!
on 1 July 2016
Fantastic movie, fantastic soundtrack. The music is easily good enough to stand alone without the movie, but I'd recommend watching the movie first as the music will resonate with you even more as all of the beautiful scenes are brought back to you :)
on 12 January 2014
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2014
Great music from a memorable movie... Mesmerizing, calms you down and travels you to a dreamy world... Recommended to anyone that loves good cinema music...
on 1 February 2014
It's amazing music. Energizing, making You feel optimictic, inspiring. It is good to start with this rhytms. Eden ta 5 o'clock a.m.
on 8 October 2014
Heartbreaking film, beautifully played by the cast. Soundtrack to match and which takes me back straight into the film whenever I play it. Just wish there was more of it !