Customer reviews

Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year (Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard|Change

on 30 November 2012
Certainly one of the best games I've played in a while. I purchased Arkham Asylum a few months ago but I decided to wait for the game of the year edition of Arkham City to come out before I got the sequel. I was surprised it was released at such a cheap price considering all the DLC it has loaded on to it. I'd definitely recommend the game to anybody, whether they're a batman fan or not.
66 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 April 2016
‘Arkham City’ is the second entry in the Arkham series of videogames, and serves as a direct sequel to ‘Arkham Asylum’. The story takes place about a year after the conclusion of that earlier game.

You play as the Dark Knight, in a third-person adventure – involving lots of action (fighting) as well as strategy, detective work and puzzle solving. For this game, part of Gotham City has been sectioned off behind fortified walls, serving as a huge prison to house all sorts of criminals and other undesirables – and it’s here, in what’s known as Arkham City, that you must work out what’s going on, figure out who’s behind it, and stop them from completing their evil plans.

This is a vastly expanded world to play in, and there are lots of enemies to fight ... from Bane to Poison Ivy, from Mr Freeze to the Penguin. The 'big' villains are the Joker (with Harley Quinn), Hugo Strange, and Ra's al Ghul. And, throughout the game, there's lots of puzzles to solve and death traps to survive as created by the Riddler. Arkham City is an open world environment, and you have total control over Batman – who is able to demonstrate amazing free-flow combat, as well as an arsenal of gadgets.

It's a game involving fantastic graphics, a great soundtrack, wonderful voice acting, and an interesting story (written by Paul Dini). It is rather more diffuse as a plot as compared to the earlier 'Asylum', but the world in this game is far more immense and allows for multiple stories to be developed. If you enjoyed ‘Arkham Asylum’ (or any of the other games in this series), you’ll like this one.

This is the 'Game of the Year' edition - which comes with many extras: Harley Quinn's Revenge, Arkham City Skins Pack, Challenge Map Pack, Catwoman Pack, Nightwing Pack, and the Robin Pack.

I thoroughly recommend this game.
on 30 January 2014
I purchased this game because I played the previous Arkham asylum game and loved it, they are both great games, and the best "grown up" Batman games. This sequel is set in a bigger more open world and looks amazing, with lots of extra side quests to get involved with and lots more to collect. The main story is great, I seemed to clear it quicker than what I was expecting even though I went off doing side missions/collecting, but the story was still enjoyable. I would say the game adds to the story of Arkham asylum but its the size of the world and extra content that makes this game a great sequel...more Batman Fun either way.
The ability to be Catwoman and Robin for example improves on Asylum (Included in the game of the year edition free)

*The main thing that is amazing about this game of the year edition and makes it the must have version to buy!..is that it includes all the downloadable extra content on a bonus disc to install for free (over £20 worth atleast)
Harley Quinns Revenge (Extra mission playing as Robin and Batman)
Arkham City Skins Pack (Loads of extra outfits for batman and alternatives for catwoman, robin, and nightwing)
Challenge Map Pack (extra unique stealth and combat challenges including the freight challenge)
Catwoman Pack *** (The ability to use Catwoman in the main game, extra catwoman mission and in all challenges)
Nightwing Pack *** (the use of Nightwing as a character in all challenges)
Robin Pack *** (the use of Robin as a character in all challenges)

This content was not included in the original version and had to be downloaded at expensive prices in my opinion, and was the only disappointment about the original game (non game of the year edition)
Mainly because you had to pay to be able to use Catwoman which people expected to be allready in the game.
But this game of the year edition makes up for that, Its great! It is well worth paying a little extra for this edition, and I purchased my copy pre-owned aswell.
Hope my Comments helped
on 16 August 2017
A big, ambitious game featuring many of Batman's notorious 'rogues' gallery' who will all test your skills in a variety of ways.

Simple but rewarding combat system.
Accessible and playable.
Lots of bonus content and side quests.
Quirky and interesting cameo appearances from other Gotham alumni.
Will keep you busy for ages.
on 3 January 2018
playing this as I want to play all games in the series; a step up from asylum; still fun even if I am also playing knight
on 4 July 2016
Not as good as Arkham Asylum but in my eyes that takes a lot to do. How do you improve of near perfection? You don't. This game made me feel rushed, to get Batmans vaccine then when I got it, it felt like the story was about to start but no that was it, it finished. So I was left expecting a lot more not just one story arc. The game is still brilliant it just did not seem as they had as many ideas as they did with Asylum. The riddler puzzles are brilliant as usual and the riddler side quest was a really good idea to put in the game. There is plenty to do after you complete the game. The best bit about this game is Catwomen you get to control not only Batman but Catwomen as well. With the game of the year edition it is really worth the money even though it was already. Seriously good game but Asylum is better, the only thing that puts this down for me is the story but I guess that is just my opinion.

Graphics - 8
Story - 5
Gameplay - 10
Replayability - 10
Overall - 8.8
on 2 April 2016
If you played Arkham Asylum, you know what to expect.
This game moves on and improves the original in almost every department. Bigger. More enemies. More bosses. More moves.
This time you have an open world so can choose the order you clear areas in. The difficulty is pretty standard, enemies get tougher as you upgrade but are still fairly easy once you know how to beat them.
The only area they could prove on is the guidance. Sometimes you're not quite sure how to get to where you need to go. If you can overlook this part.
on 12 August 2017
was broken on arrival
on 26 April 2013
I can remember in the days of the Commodore 64 badgering my mum for a Superman game for Christmas. When I got it I was so disappointed we took it back to the shop.

Then later I played one of those Ocean movie tie ins - Batman based on the Tim Burton movie. It's heart was there but it was just held back by the technology at the time.

Now we have Batman. Really and truly Batman. Within a few minutes of playing you really get into it. You can fight like Batman, glide like him, you build a belt full of Batman gadgets - I suppose the only downside is you don't get to drive the Tumbler.

I'd played Arkham Asylum to death so this was a must. I have read that others first impressions were not good, but I felt it exceeded the first game within a few hours. You get a lot of freedom and once you have finished the main game you need to actually set your own agenda (collecting Riddler trophies or solving his riddles) or you can end up wandering around.

You get to play Catwoman in seperate but linked missions and Robin appears in Harley Quinn's revenge.

I bought the GOTY edition even though I already had the 'ordinary' version as it was just simply cheaper to get all the DLC. The DLC comes on a seperate disc and interestingly it will only work with the game disc that comes with it - by that I mean you can't use the other version thereby stumping anyone who wants to pass the DLC disc round to their mates!

At under £15 this is a bargain and a must for your collection.
on 25 January 2017
Awesome game, great price !
A really good deal. Not much more to say. It's batman! Come on.