on 23 April 2015
Having changed our side door to open outwards, we had not anticipated a couple of problems. First, if opened too far, the hinges hit the edge of the wall. Second, our side return is a bit of a wind tunnel, so even if we opened the door only a little way, the wind would catch it and force it wide. Add in children that throw every door open, and forget to close them, and it was clear the hinges were not going to last long...

This door restrictor will hopefully save the day, and the door. I ordered from Truely PVC Supplies, and it arrived with instructions, so only took 5 minutes to install. When installing, there are a couple of points to watch. Firstly, the instructions say to use a posidrive bit, but the supplied screws were Phillips. Second, you fit the restrictor locked at its widest opening. This means that two of the screw holes on the sliding channel are covered by the restrictor arm. It is impossible to close the restrictor before it is fully screwed in place (and I suspect you will damage the door or restrictor if you try!), so you need to disengage the restrictor arm from the frame pivot plate to get at the screw holes. Sounds complicated, but is pretty obvious when you are doing it if you have a little common sense.

The restrictor works well for the purpose we wanted it for - stopping the door opening beyond 90 degrees. It is also supposed to allow the door to stay open at an angle between 0 and 90 degrees (assuming it is not too windy), but I suspect the single screw that controls this will just gouge a channel in the metal of the slide channel before too long.
on 28 June 2017
Arrived very quickly. Extreamley easy to fit although the pictures in the instructions aren't fantastic. Engage the lock open feature by pushing the 'spear head' into the clip inside the rail then simply measure along top of door as per instructions. Fit the long arm in first (door), open door to appropriate angle (for me 90degrees) and fit the small arm to the frame as far away from hinge side as possible whilst maintaining the desired lock open angle (90). Pour beer/Wine > High fives all round.
on 18 September 2013
I bought three for a two-door french window and a second uPVC door. Arrived promptly with all necessary parts & screws. Instruction page is a little vague & poorly printed but, to be honest, these are pretty easy to fit in less than five minutes each. Note you will be required to drill guide holes for the screws though. Fitted as per the instructions, the doors will open about 90 degrees but there is some leeway on the placing of the stay base to increase the opening angle somewhat. When fitted they work well and stop the door opening too far or catching the wind and slamming back on themselves. Dont rely on them to work in a gale though, they would not be strong enough. For the price, they are just the ticket.
on 22 October 2014
We recently had our 2 of our UPVC doors replaced and on impulse asked the fitters to fit a restrainer on the one on the Garage. It worked so well that I decided to get some more and ordered 4 of these. The first was a bit of a problem because I didn't check the door would close before I put all of the screws in but that is easily resolved by putting the door part into the door and finding the minimum distance from the corner for the frame fitting which would allow the door to close. After that the whole job, 2 French doors, back door and garage door were done in about 10 minutes. The latch arrangement works nicely so everyone is happy and the back door no longer bashes the fridge. In fact, from ordering to fitting was less than 36 hours.
on 16 June 2017
Just fitted, seems to work very well where a normal door stop wasn't practical. While the instructions give the positions of the two parts for fitting, I managed to work out how to adjust that slightly to give a specific maximum door open angle (we could only go to about 85 degrees before hitting the skirting). Worth noting that if you have a lentil above the door, you may need to purchase a low profile offset screwdriver to insert the screws in the door!
on 2 September 2016
This will not be the same dimensions as the one fitted to your door so you may have to drill a couple of pilot holes in the PVC door frame for the screws supplied. I bought one for the back door to hold it open to allow the dogs to wander in an out on a breezy day without having to open the door to their barking. Works a treat. A metal "finger" engages in a heavy spring and holds the door open at 90 degrees. There is a friction adjuster to slow the door from slamming it the wind does manage to overcome the spring. The door should stay in position except if the wind gets very gusty. I will be buying some for the patio doors!
on 20 May 2017
After a couple of door operations the arm detached from the hinge bracket. The pivot pin of the arm is held in by a sprung u-shaped wire loop which is not strong enough for the job. Pulled the ends of the wire loop closer together to increase the spring tension on the pivot pin. Maybe a solution which will last, but should not have been necessary.
on 29 June 2017
BRILLIANT!! We moved and bought a property in France two years ago. It has inward opening PVC windows with no means of regulating the opening. If it is windy they just flap back against the internal walls. So we have needed to regulate the breeze with the external electric shutters........NO MORE!
Thank you for a speedy and brilliant postage rate (the same flat rate for 4 items) and for delivery to France in less than 8 days!
As they conform to EU standards they fit a dream on all of our windows. SO CHUFFED! Now planning to buy some more!
Thank you very much.
on 2 August 2014
This is great for the price. I installed it on my back upvc door in around 5 mins and it is very easy to adjust the resistence.

I was expecting to need to tighten it periodically as I thought that it would work loose with repeated use, but it's been in plae for 3 or 4 months with regular use and is the same as day one.

The lost star is because the way I read the description, I thought that you could lock the door open. You can't, so I have the resistence set pretty high. Looking at the mechanism, I don't think there is a way that any device this cheap and disceet could lock a door open, so perhaps I'm being harsh.
on 12 March 2017
I bought this adjustable friction door stay to replace the original one that broke. This was perfect and nearly the same as the original one but in my opinion this is better quality and very easy to install with instructions to make life easier. It arrived in the post very quick in all very happy with this purchase.