Top positive review
22 people found this helpful
Great product - is Roughneck my new 'best friend'?
on 18 March 2016
Right from the start, this product has given us pleasure as it came in a box marked 'Fragile'! I bought this with a 6.5lb Spear and Jackson splitting maul to split logs from a felled tree. I am no expert, unfit and pushing 60, yet after a few tries can use this with relative ease. My first attempt at splitting was full of doubt and frustration, so I thought I was doing something wrong. I watched some films on UTube and saw that even the professionals often needed a couple of strikes before the log split and they mostly split in half. So if you are buying one of these, my top tips are:
* watch a demonstration film
* make sure your wood is dry and seasoned
* find where the wood is beginning to crack in the middle and place the wedge there
* don't worry if it takes more than one strike - trust the physics - the log WILL split as the wedge pushes it apart
* avoid large knots - they are very hard to split through
* use your maul to split smaller log wedges from your half log - they split off very easily
* let the weight of the maul do most of the work
* some wood is denser than others, so may take more work to split
Splitting logs is enjoyable, therapeutic and good exercise, so get in touch with your inner lumberjack and happy splitting!