on 28 January 2015
Will NOT pass or decode Dolby True HD audio.
on 30 March 2013
This is only a quick opinion really about this media player.
I am not quite sure about the negative reviews this player is getting.
I have had the Western Digital and the AC Ryan media players (which are both good players) & decided to try this one.
I must say it is by far a superior player.
Good solid build, nice to look at & the UI menus look great
I plugged it in (after installing the internal hard drive, bought separate) updated the firmware & good to go.
Its fast & smooth to scroll through.
The picture quality is a little sharper than the other media players I mentioned & full support for DTS HD Master audio.
All in all a great little player.
on 3 July 2013
I have had to pleasure of owning one of these players for several mths now and have nothing bit praise for it. Once hooked up to internet (home network) you are ready to go, update to latest firmware. Have no idea what other reviewer is on about, this streams full bluray iso/files without zero shutter and numerous other forms of media files i.e mkv, DivX, avi, mp4......very easy to navigate the menu to access app's iPlayer, YouTube etc. Would recommend to anyone looking for a hassle free media player.
on 29 December 2013
I spent a lot of time researching a media player and this one was the one that I went for and I am very satisfied with it.
on 12 November 2015
Still #1 for picture and audio quality (compared to a vast array of other media players, BluRay players, etc) mostly streaming a variety of lower res media files (mostly DVD ISO's and MKV rips) off my Diskstation NFS share.
Apps still leave a lot to be desired though: I've ditched Plex (mostly my Plex server's fault, not the PCH-A400) and now just have shortcuts to key folders. Application support for other devices (including built in TV apps) is far better elsewhere, with the obvious omission being Amazon Prime.
Very interested to see the dual-Boot / hardware performance of the A-500 on Android as that feels like it could be the best of both worlds!!
on 14 August 2014
I've previously owned the A-110, A-200 and A-210 so when upgrade time came around, this seemed like the obvious choice. Big mistake. It's over a year now since this unit was released and the firmware is still a buggy mess. It's slower than it's predecessor (the A-210) by a considerable margin because it's bogged down by a horrible Adobe Flash driven UI. It freezes frequently when left paused or on the Jukebox screen. It's main, probably only, selling point above the older model is it's 3D playback and that's still pretty flaky. 3D ISOs will often crash the player or cause a reboot.

I've sold a couple of my older PCH devices to friends when upgrading in the past but I would feel guilty taking any money off any of my friends for this so the A-400 is now in my loft. The A-210 remains in service in the bedroom as it's a far more capable and robust model. The main player in the living room is now an i3 Intel NUC running XBMC and that wipes the floor with this.
on 20 April 2013
I bought one of these hoping it would be better than the QNAP-NMP 1000P, but it isn't.

It will stream DVDs and low definition Blu-Ray ISOs, but many modern Blu-Rays are over 40GB and ISOs created from these fail to stream and they stutter.

The whole point of getting an NMP was to stream my films, and this it fails to do properly. I should wait until they fix the problem before buying.

I've contacted the manufacturers and no reply from them despite raising a case. Since them, I have bought a Lenovo Q190 for a similar price and have installed XBMC and all media, including HD Blu-ray ISOs play flawlessly.

I wish I'd never bought either the Popcorn Hour or the QNAP.
99 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2015
I have nothing but the highest praise for this item & the company,thank you ******
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2013
Brilliant - plays everything including blue ray .iso

Worth every Pennie, we have a cinema at home and this just works fantastically.

We back up our blu rays to hard drives.
on 7 September 2013
It took months of firmware upgrades to produce the icing on the cake but a sheer determination on the part of "Popcorn Hour" has made this media player the Rolls Royce of players. It was knowing when to jump in at the right time and this was it. I am very pleased with my choice, more than pleased in fact. I cannot fault it. Coupled with my NMJ App for my tablet this is a "State of the Art" combination and their competitors know this. Go on, treat yourself, buy one.