on 19 June 2013
As a digital marketing professional, I have shelves full of books on the subject. This one is top of the pile.

Other reviews will tell you what's in the book. What makes it different is the clarity with which Valuable Content Marketing explains the why, what and how. Why content marketing is so critical and effective to businesses, the types of content to produce, and the how to do it in ways that work.

This is the absolute best book on content marketing that I have ever come across and the authors have indeed created a book with remarkable content themselves. If you're serious about making online marketing work, this is the book you need. Extremely highly recommended.
on 11 January 2013
I left a big management consultancy last year and set up my own business servicing a completely different market - small businesses. For a relatively new professional services business like mine entering into a new market, it's hard to know where to start with marketing. There are so many options - social media, SEO, my website - I wasn't sure how to focus my efforts. This book has been a real eye-opener. It's full of tips that are easy to implement, and a programme of work that feels really do-able. I would thoroughly recommend this book whether you're starting a new business or marketing an existing one.
on 12 January 2013
This Book organises thoughts that you have probably had at various times, and in random order into a coherent whole. It is just Common Sense - to the extent that you have to resist the temptation to say to yourself "I do not need to read this". Eventually however, the way in which the fabric of the marketing strategy woven by this highly readable story emerges as something that will add quality and style to your organisation, whether it is in manufacturing, services or the charity sector.
on 11 January 2013
This is no boring, heavy-going business is enticing to read, beautifully set out and bursting with brilliant advice. A vital read for any business - large or small - and for anyone who has something to say and wants to be heard!
on 3 January 2013
This book is a great resource for any marketer or business owner who wants practical support in getting the word out and the sales in. I particularly like the guidance on creating a 'valuable website' and the quiz at the back is a great ready reckoner for anyone who's new to content marketing. Have this to hand and you'll never be stuck for stuff to say - moreover, you'll never be stuck for something to say that people actively want to listen to, engage with and use. And, when that happens you'll see the results as bigger, better and more sustainable customer relationships.
on 22 July 2013
I read this book because it was given to me by someone I respect. It isn't an area I thought I needed input on, as very few leads are generated for my business through on-line material. However, I was amazed at the common sense of the core messages about communication. Whilst clearly targeted to online media, the simplicity of the message applies in almost any situation. A lot of the ideas are at face value, just common sense, the problem is that common sense isn't all that common!

I can certainly see the relevance for the on-line aspects, and it has changed significantly my view of the importance of this form of communication, regardless of whether i expect to win business through it. In fact it has convinced me to recruit someone into my business with the specific objective of improving our communication in all the areas covered by the book, and specifically our social media output.

It was an easy read, and well worth a read by anyone in business that values the way it communicates with customers, targets and even its own employees. The world changes at tremendous pace and this book will help you keep up.
on 24 June 2013
This isn't just a book about marketing. This is a book about a new way of doing business.

If you own a business, and do any online marketing, you've probably realised that things have changed in recent years. You can't just plonk your phone number on a website and expect people to phone you. You can't just buy adverts. You need to offer potential customers something valuable, which they'd appreciate. Only then can you overcome buyers' cynicism and attract the kind of clients you want to work with.

This book should be a bible for business owners. It has lots of actionable tactics about how you can create the right kind of content, get it to your right audience and attract buyers. It also shows how you can get your sales team to use content as an effective prospecting/lead generation tool.

Valuable Content Marketing is a very valuable book - definitely worth reading. And if you're a content marketing novice, I'd also recommend talking to Sonja and Sharon on Twitter (@sonjajefferson and @sjtanton) and reading the content on their website ( - they're excellent people to work with!
on 24 April 2014
Get beyond the cover and I was delighted to find this is a really great book, especially for small and medium sized businesses. Where other books blind you with theory, this is packed full of really useful tips, easy to digest advice and case studies from other businesses who've actually deployed the techniques listed and seen the results it can bring. At last! There is something for even the most seasoned content professional (I like to think I know a thing or two about content marketing but we all need reminding how to stay at the top of our game!) So get your pen and stickies out and get scribbling as it'll give you lots of ideas, just as it did for me!
on 28 January 2013
In my life before kids, I was a UK-based corporate marketing exec. Ten years ago, I forecasted this shift toward content marketing. (The scale of the influence from social media is the only thing that REALLY took me by surprise.)

As an American ex-pat, I've watched the growth of content marketing in the US and wondered if it would properly catch on in the UK. I wasn't sure if it would ever gain the necessary traction until I started reading Sonja and Sharon's blog. Then, when I got my hands on their book, I was 100% certain.

Marketing has moved on. Thanks to the Internet, the whole way the world sells and does business has moved on. This book is an easy to understand blueprint for engaging your audience and demonstrating your company's value proposition efficiently and effectively in this new age of marketing.

Valuable Content Marketing has become my new marketing Bible and I'd recommend it to ALL students, marketing professionals and businesspeople. I have been so inspired by Sonja and Sharon's thought leadership and signposting of UK companies through their Valuable Content awards, that I've started my own content marketing consultancy this year.
on 7 March 2013
In the last ten years, our buying habits have changed. No longer do we want to be sold to, and we want to buy at our own pace, doing our own research as we go through the business development process. As a consequence outbound marketing techniques such as advertising or telemarketing just doesn't work as well as it once did. However, Inbound marketing where you attract your clients to you by being genuinely helpful and sharing valuable content, is getting more and more effective.

However, he lies the problem for my companies. Providing valuable content. What to do I write? where should I share it? How do I get started to switch from outbound to inbound marketing? How do I plan my content? What types of content should I share? How should my website look if I lead with my content?

This book answers these questions and many more. This is the reason why the book is on our recommended reading list and we buy a copy for most of our new clients.