on 16 January 2013
This book sells itself as a fully comprehensive guide to independent education. It does have a directory of independent schools by county, details of entry requirements, scholarships, bursaries etc, all of which is useful. However the more in depth section looking at individual schools simply includes marketing blurb by the schools and doesn't offer any more probing opinions. This section also only includes some schools - many are omitted, which suggests that the schools have to pay to be included.

All in all, it's fine as a shop front for schools, or a directory, but don't expect a more in depth guide.
on 21 October 2013
Sadly very disappointed.

If you are new to the Private School System, then I don't think that you will find this book at all useful. You would get more assistance from the internet.

We have put two children through the system and at the time, 30 years ago, I found a similar book very useful, but have since handed this book onto other parents.

I am now looking at our Grandchudren's education and although our children have a fair idea of where they are going to send our grandchildren, I thought the book would be of interest to them.

I have given it to our children, but they both agree it was not of great assistance.

Sorry about this - I have never given a bad review before but,new parents might fnd the review useful.

Thank you.
on 17 November 2013
New to the field of private education I took the advice of a friend and read this guide. I found it easy to understand, very informative and certainly of value to anyone contemplating this form of education for their children.
on 21 April 2015
If you are the parent of a child whom you are considering sending away to boarding school you owe it to that child to go to boardingschoolsurvivors.co.uk and/or look up "boarding school syndrome" on Google. There is growing and convincing evidence that sending children away from their families to boarding school, and especially children under the age of 13, can do lasting psychological damage.

How do I know? I am one of those damaged children still struggling with issues of trust and intimacy at the age of 50. Many boarding school survivors are loath to admit to their problems, but their spouses or ex-spouses will confirm the symptoms.
on 24 June 2013
No help in trying to choose a school gives none of the detail or information you would require, wished I hadn't bought it
on 21 November 2013
The Independent School Guide was really helpful when choosing a prep school for my son a few years ago. Now I am considering options for senior school, I thought I'd buy the up-to-date version. I wasn't disappointed. The layout has improved - as entries are now arranged according to school type it was simple to locate the seniors.
on 27 October 2013
I really don't know what to say. Perhaps I just picked the wrong book and had all the wrong expectations. The book is incomprehensible but perhaps that's what it sets out to achieve.
on 11 November 2013
My daughter had a very bad experience at the local community school, so we decided to look at other options. This guide provided a very good initial read in terms of finding out about private education and sources of further information and advice. I thought it was a helpful starting point and good value for money.