on 10 January 2015
'I stood there and shivered, rubbing one of my feet against the opposite calf. "Take off your clothes," he ordered.' ~THE END~
dam should have guessed it would end at a good bit.... I give it 4.5 or 5 not sure... I really enjoyed this the characters were funny witty and so randomly weird !! MUST READ PART 2!!
review image
on 7 January 2016
Great 1st book
on 3 September 2014
Don't bother, a real waste of time. Went nowhere.
on 14 February 2013
Twenty-two year old Mary Deupree has inherited a sex-shop from the mother she never knew. Having been raised by her strict and religious father and grandmother she has no experience when it comes to sex or sex shops, but enough curiosity to make the journey from California to Florida. Shortly after arriving in Hollywood, Florida, Mary meets the two men who played important parts in her mother's life. John, a scarred veteran from Afghanistan lives in the apartment over the Fetish Box and Max the Irish bartender with whom Mary now co-owns a bar. Much to her surprise Mary discovers that she reacts strongly and sexually to both men. But while Max seems to promise a night of wild abandon, John offers Mary the opportunity to experience everything she's been fantasising about as well as learn all she needs to know to successfully run the business she has just inherited.

Before I go of on what will sound like a bit of a rant let me say that I did enjoy reading this story. It is written in a nice and easy, at times chatty, way. I enjoyed that the reader gets to see the story from Mary, Mike and John's perspective. And I liked what I saw of the main characters so far, even if the two men seem to be stereotypes; exactly what an Irish man and a wounded veteran are supposed to be in romance novels.

I have a few issues with this book though. The biggest one being that this isn't actually a book. It is the start of a story and it stops before it really begins. All we have here is an introduction of the main characters and hints of potentially interesting and sexy things to come. I don't know or understand why it is suddenly okay to publish instalments and call them books, but it seems to be wide-spread these days. This is, of course, a review copy so I didn't pay for it. But I don't think I would want to pay for it either. I don't mind paying for short books provided they give me a completed story. And that is not what I found here.

The rest of my issues are much smaller. First of all, Irish men don't really sound the way Nicole Camden writes it. They do not use "yer" instead of "you" all the time. And I should know; after living in Ireland for 15 years and having been married to an Irish man for even longer, I've got a pretty good idea what they sound like. In fact, this particular Irishman sounded more like a Scot a lot of the time. Secondly, how likely is that that a girl who has stayed a virgin for 22 years would suddenly decide that she wants to sleep with not one, but two men she's only met for the first time that day? And if that seems unlikely, don't even get me started about the fact that she willingly agrees to have one of them introduce her to the ins and outs of BDSM. I mean; really? Finally there was one wardrobe malfunction that bothered me; Mary went from wearing a skirt to wearing jeans and back to wearing a skirt without ever changing her clothes.

This book didn't contain a lot of explicit sex. There is some breast play and a quick and casual encounter in a bar but other than that the reader only gets hints at what may be to come. I really don't think there is a lot, if anything, in this book to offend anybody although the story seems to suggest that that may change in future instalments.

And that leads me to the big question; will I be reading the next book in this series. As I stated above, I don't like paying money for what I feel are unfinished books. On the other hand I did like this story and the characters enough to want to know what might be happening next. There were enough hints about future events in this story to make me curious about how it will all play out. So I guess the jury is still out on this one. I will have to wait and see if my curiosity is stronger than my opposition to books published in this way. Only time will tell.
One person found this helpful
on 17 March 2013
**Provided by Netgalley and Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books for an honest review**

****Warning**** Explicit sex scenes

A very short book, but the writing brings the reader in.

The ending is very abrupt and the book feels too short, it would have been better as a full sized novel.
on 20 February 2013
2.5 stars

Okay I nearly stopped reading this book at 18% when a stranger who's just introduced himself to the main character (Mary - who happens to be a virgin!!), goes up grabs her, kisses and fondles her breasts.......... Call me odd but I'd kick him in the balls and slap him, regardless of how hot he is.

I carried on anyway and it did improve sort of, Max the gropper stays in the story, we also have John, who I have to say I rather liked him, even so what he propositions her with over lunch was ludicrous.

General background, Mary has inherited her mums house, Half a bar and a sex shop, Mary is a 24 year old virgin, who is in to art, she moves across state to take over the business. Everything happens with in half a day, and she just goes with it lol.

The story moved to quick for me, I will read part 2, as it ended so abruptly.

*i received this book for an honest review*

(less)