Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.07

on 6 February 2013
If starting with windows 8, this is an excellent reference book to help along the way. I got this within a day or two of getting my new windows 8 laptop. At first windows 8 was so different, the book seemed to have only limited appeal because what it was saying was almost as puzzling as windows 8 itself. Then little by little it got clearer and easier to use, and the book opened and expanded on what I had found. To me, now having lived with XP then Vista (no Windows 7), it gets better everyday. Now each time I refer back to the book, things fall in place and it shows you how you can expand on what you have learnt. All I can say is that it takes time. Be patient, keep at it, and you should find it to be a very good operating system, especially with the help and tips within this bargain of a book.
on 25 January 2013
Being new to windows 8 and not having a clue what to press click or download once I had turn on the computer, I bought this book in the hope it would enlighten me as what to do with windows 8. Having read this book cover to cover I'm now pretty good at the basics of windows 8. A great Book to start you off using Windows 8.
on 19 July 2013
Looks like most folk find getting started with Windows 8 quite difficult. It's quite a different way of working, especially if, like me, it's on my laptop rather than a tablet. This book is reasonably logically laid out, and I found more than a few tips to provide more efficient usage. I doubt if I would have found several of them without looking specifically as a result of reading that section of this book. I don't need all the "bells and whistles" of the capabilities of any Operating System, and while the book does eventually cover some of the more complex techniques, it covered the basics very well indeed. It keeps a clear distinction between how you use Windows 8 on a tablet or using a mouse, and what can be quite hard to describe finger or mouse movements are described well, such that you very soon learn how to perform the various techniques. It certainly got me through the first period of "Aarrgh! Give me back Windows 7" reaction. Not that it has entirely gone away either, but that's not the fault of this useful little primer!
on 16 June 2013
Just got a new windows 8 pc, been looking everywhere for a book to ease me through it and found this little gem. As its on me kindle i can have it on my desk without the pages turning over themselves. 'Happy Days' . Now just gotta learn how to use the pc :-). Revised 30th July, Even better now Ive got used to it, open the Kindle Ap from your tiles & snap it in place Left or Rt of the page you need help on then you can read the advice you need without using your kindle or a book, :-) , it does sound a little difficult but if i can get my head round it anyone can.
on 27 December 2012
I do like the book I just personally don't think it was detailed enough for me
but in fairness I like to be intensive for a normal customer the tips are excellent.
on 17 April 2013
So pleased with this book, simply explanations on how to use windows 8. As a silver surfer find it invaluable.
on 9 November 2013
I have also programmed computers since before dos. Win 8 with its 60 or so keyboard short cuts, many of which are the only way to access commands, is surely more complicated to use than dos ever was. This book explains many of the problems of using the new Gui. It does not tell you how to set up GMail as your default mail application, so that clicking send (from Word) will send your file by email. All other email services seem to be covered except GMail. Can Firefox be installed on Win 8? How does the illogical file system work? The book is great as far as it goes, but having watched an intelligent teacher struggling with this hard to use Os for hours today, I reckon that it needs another hundred tips to make it complete.
Buy it as it will help a lot.
on 16 May 2013
REALLY GOOD GUIDE THIS! I FOUND IT VERY USEFUL, BECAUSE WINDOWS 8 IS QUITE DIFFERENT FROM WINDOWS 7. IT HAS LOTS OF USEFUL HINTS AND TIPS TO HELP YOU ALONG! SIMPLE DIALOGUE, AND NO COMPUTER JARGON, AND COMPLICATED WORDS! JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND, GREAT WRITTEN BOOK!
Having been a long term and very satusfied user of Windows 7, I found the transition to Windoes 8 quite traumatic. Gone was my well organised desktop, and where on earth was the start button that was my entry to the system.

After stumbling along for a few days, I decided that help was necessary and I checked out the Kindle Store for something suitable. This book seemed to fit the bill, so I downloaded it; and it was just what I needed. It would not be sufficient for a new user but, for somebody like me, it was the answer to my problem.

I still hate Windows 8, but at least I can use it with some confidence.
on 14 October 2013
This was a sanity saving buy for me. My old xp laptop died so I had to go out and replace it which meant windows8 was my new operating system. Yikes!! What are all these square things? Where is my desktop? The new system looked interesting but didn't behave at all well. All down to operator error of course.

Being on the verge of publishing a book on Kindle Direct Publishing for the first time ever I needed to get to grips with windows8 fast so I downloaded this hoping it would help me find my way round my new laptop. It fitted the bill perfectly guiding me step by step through all that is new and I have to say but for this manual I would probably hate windows8 but instead I'm learning to love it.
You know how, with a new system it's so easy to make something happen that you don't want, don't understand and can't rectify? Have no fear, get this, read it and then get going. Once you've read the whole book it's easy to refer back to work out where you went wrong or find out how to do what you want.

The book is clearly written in a logical, conversational manner. I recommend it as a good purchase for anyone no matter what their level of expertise. For the expert pc user it will give a good basic overview and for those like me who are not so pc savvy it's probably the only windows8 book you will ever want or need.

I succeeded in publishing my book on a laptop with a new operating system that I'd only had for a week. Top 100 Tips for Windows8 helped me to do that. Well worth purchasing. Highly recommended.