on 21 January 2014
I like this author and I have defended him against complaints of bad punctuation, grammar and syntax, but this book is just a step too far. Whole batches of the text are missing and this gets worse as the book progresses.

I was actually expecting it to be another of the excellent Inspector Rase novels but it is completely different. Basically, it recounts a Britain some three months after the nation's entire power has been irreparably wiped out by a freak magnetic storm. As a story, it does have potential but unfortunately, not to the extent that I was prepared to persevere having to guess what might be missing from the text.

I got to 42% and gave up.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 April 2017
I loved the sentiments of the book; the coming together in times of adversity; overcoming overwhelming odds. However, there are parts of the book which were a drudge, while other parts were scant on detail, or had big jumps between scenarios. Given all of that, ultimately, I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it as a worthwhile read to anybody else. Hope this helps.
on 7 March 2015
This is a bit of a problem, some of the text is misspelt and jumbled, it is a meaty read however it is a great story, well written and thought out. It feels like a draft almost as it could undoubtably have been edited better or even have added background at certain parts to increase the depth. But his is a great book, reminiscent of an early Wyndham novel or even earlier books like, the back room. It seems to capture that it was written now, but now can be any period over the last 70 years or any time in the future, really enjoyed , will follow the author again,
Great read
on 5 November 2013
The opening and middle chapters were very good, had me involved all along, were well written and exciting etc.. The big "let-down" was the ending. In the book, the main character has a short time to "write-up" a journal before he has to leave. I think that the author did the same, the ending is flat and quite boring, and is totally different from the main part of the book. It wanders all over the place with no "bang" of a finish as I would have expected, more of a fizzle that left me disappointed. I feel it could have had a much better ending to make it a "very good" book instead of "It's okay".
on 10 November 2013
This is a well written book with a twist on the many tales on the market. Where instead of there being the coming of the apocalypse and the protagonist being alone in this new world he is instead forced among desperate people and faced with a hugely difficult task. The characters are easy to relate to even though the situations they are found in could not be further from our own lives.
on 10 September 2014
A gripping story from start to finish, a glimpse into what might happen if the way we live comes to an abrupt end. Reliance on unsustainable energy is not a good idea in the long term anyway. I might be sentimental but I can't help thinking when I was a lad and lived off the land everyone seemed to pull together for the common good. Yes I am old haha
One person found this helpful
on 3 May 2014
Good as long as you have plenty of time to read. Once you get into it, without being distracted, it is very easy to not want to put it down.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2014
As we are currently in the winter months, with cold winds, dripping rain, not to mention the floods it is always good to have a good read at your disposal. This book deals with what could happen when the power goes off? Interesting thought!
on 18 March 2013
Fairly good tale of what might happen if the lights went out, told by a soldier sent to help get things back to normal. I've read better post-apocalyptic thrillers (eg Alex Scarrow's 'Last Light' and 'Afterlight') and this wasn't as good as them. Still a good read on Kindle though.
on 21 September 2013
A entertaining and gripping story, with plenty of action & love interest that keeps you enthralled, the only criticism is at the end, to many unanswered questions which I won't go into for risking spoiling the story for others.