Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

3,349
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 31 December 2013
A book without much substance and in desperate need of proofreading. So many inaccuracies especially when referring to ages and years.A great deal of grammatical mistakes too.A mixture of styles that confuses the reader about the setting. Is it set in the US or in the UK. A very disappointing ending that made me wonder why I had bothered sticking with it. Absolutely no interest in reading the sequel. I have given this 3 stars because to be fair it wasn't so bad that I didn't finish it and if I was a teenager I would provable have really enjoyed it.
44 Comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2013
Enjoying the story, however, whoever proof-read the kindle edition should be fired!! Full of errors: extra words, misspellings and poor grammar! I got the impression that someone had checked the first couple of pages and then given up.

I also found it somewhat frustrating as I couldn't initially determine whether it was supposed to be set in the UK or US as it is full of what I consider to be americanisations (sweet sixteen party, diners etc) which completely threw me (I didn't consider myself to be that out of touch with today's youth culture as I'm still the right side of middle age) For me it wasn't a true representation of English youth but that could just be my experience
55 Comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2014
This book spent far too much time on anxious "does he/she fancy me?" hand-wringing and not nearly enough time on any plotline than an adult would be interested in reading; only the first and last 5% have any substance. The concept is alright but the execution is lamentable, and I agree with other reviewers that there seemed to be some confusion as to the setting - the names and preoccupations of the characters had a very American feel to them. It was also off-kilter how untroubled everyone was about selective mutism and evident internal turmoil in a 16-year-old, and the way the unsurprising "reveal" was handled was underwhelming, with it not even being delivered by the girl but from the viewpoint of her saccharine lover.

I did finish it (and got to enjoy the bizarre and incredibly rushed-seeming ending) but only because it was a very quick read.
on 29 January 2014
if you are a young adult, you'll probably love this book and I suspect all the five star reviews are from teen girls. if you're not, or if you have any appreciation of good literature, then don't bother reading it. First quarter is great, after that absolutely nothing happens until final chapter. Full of American idioms and cultural references yet apparently set in England. Many random subplots which are not explored or developed (Julian, Mia). Two dimensional character and an ending which is just a massive cop out. Would have been much better if the big 'reveal' (not much of one really) had happened a third of the way through so that you could see the characters develop and evolve. However, I wonder if the author stalled until the very last few pages because she didn't have the writing skills to manage more sophisticated character development. Sorry if I'm offending teenage fans, but this book is really insulting your intelligence.
22 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2014
Stayed with the book even though it felt slow. After reading to the end I was thoroughly disappointed. I felt the story was rushed in the last two chapters and the ending came from nowhere and hadn't related to the rest of the book at all!!
on 28 February 2013
I came across Natasha Preston's page on a website called Wattpad, and I read all her books that were on there. Then I realised she had published one, and as soon as I read the dialogue I brought it straight away on this! The story kept me on edge throughout the whole thing, and I didn't have a clue how it was going to end or what was going to happen. This excited me, and I couldn't wait to finish it so I'd know the conclusion, however, I was very dissapointed when the book finally ended. The twist was outstanding, and the emotions were shown well between all the charactors. Overall, it was very realistic and I would recommend to a mature audiance.
on 31 December 2014
Why was Oakley silent? Obviously because she had been abused. Yet no one guessed this!? I kept reading because I thought there would be some depth or some revelations but there were none. I was sure it was set in America because of all the names of characters and the way the kids had so much freedom and visited ice cream parlours but it was England. Cole acted like he was well in his 20s but was only 17.

Why we're Julian and lizzie written about? They added nothing to the story. Why did the book end so abruptly with no warning total rubbish! I can't quite believe the Frank story who the heck is he? What was the relationship with Max? Why would Max let him abuse his daughter. This has got to be some of the worst writing ever. No I don't wish to read more by this author!! Amateur! The typos are plentiful too which is inexcusable! Rubbish!
22 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2014
Truly awful! Can't work out who the book was pitched at, I am 38 and it seemed like a teenage romance that I would have read when I was 13. At times I cringed reading the author's attempt at portraying teenage emotion. Also what British teenager goes to the Mall? Ending very disappointing and rushed and typos throughout. That said I'll probably buy the second one.
on 28 December 2013
The most gripping, heartbreaking and emotional book I've ever read, i read it in 3 days falling in love with it more by every page.
Strongly recommended
on 15 February 2013
All i can say is started to read this book yesterday and spent the whole night reading it, by god it was a good read, well worth not getting any sleep lol, can't wait for Broken Silence book 2 to come out, hope its soon, well done Natasha for a great book, i hope some of coles family stay invoved ???????? my money is on Cole for a happy ending, i can only dream lol xx
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse