on 24 March 2013
In my younger days I read a fair bit of fantasy, most of it set in worlds drawn from the myths and history of northern Europe. In seeking to dip back into the genre, it was refreshing to have an novel recommended to me that took inspiration from a different source. Ahmed's debut novel fuses pseudo-Muslim beliefs with other myths sourced from the Arabic world, and the dry lands that form the Kingdoms of the Crescent Moon are all the more pleasing for it. Unfortunately that's where the originality ends, and the well thought out backdrop does nothing to combat the over-familiarity of the characters. They're a plot-driven bunch with only enough complexity as is needed to keep the story going, and for all the quirks of the fresh mythos on show their natures echoed Dungeons & Dragons flavoured heroes and heroines I've long been familiar with. It's the same old stuff, in different packaging. That's not to say the book isn't enjoyable - it's a well-paced and smartly written little swashbuckler - but in failing to match content to concept it doesn't live up to the sheer potential of the Big Idea behind it.
on 15 May 2017
a well written romp I guess. Lots of charm and easy to read. My wife loved it too.
on 2 January 2015
This was OK, but I struggled to connect with the main characters and felt the language didn't always flow - not sure if that was the original text or the translations.

Wouldn't rush to pick up another book by this author.
on 2 August 2015
Surprisingly enjoyable book. I like the way it was written. I say surprising because some of the other stories by this author was less interesting. The story itself was interersting and I look forward to a sequel.
on 9 September 2017
Cool story and enjoyed the change of fantasy setting. Not high literature but fun and enjoyable.
on 19 April 2015
Great read,engaging and enjoyable.
on 26 September 2015
Well crafted
on 30 March 2014
Fast paced and engaging. I was hooked pretty quickly, despite the slightly clichéd plot and the rushed ending. The main character was enjoyably grouchy, and it was great to have a fresh environment for the story to play out in.
on 29 December 2015
A really different take on sword and sorcery genre with a move away from euro centricism.
on 1 May 2013
I chose this book because it reminded me of other similar books i have read in the past and i wasn't disappointed.