on 23 May 2017
As someone further along in their career there was not much in here I felt was new or helpful - certainly aimed at new graduates just starting to understand the workings of a professional services firm
on 23 April 2013
The book is an excellent study of the professional services world and the increasingly high demands on partners. Its reach is beyond the practical career roadmap and how-to-do-it guidance which is very helpful. The authors firmly believe that success in business can be achieved without sacrificing the quality of your personal life. It is all about making the right choices and getting all the support along this long journey.
on 6 February 2013
I didn't purchase this book because I have a burning desire to be a corporate partner in a large commercial law firm. That had once been an ambition of mine. The focus of my attention is now in the field of legal practice education and training, and I purchased this book because I see part of my role as being able to help others make it to partner.

The book divides 21 chapters into 5 parts. As well as giving advice and guidance, each chapter is packed with very useful exercises, charts, action points, websites and suggested books for further reading and development.

Part 1 introduces you to you, and what being a partner really means. Reflective practice is something that for many years legal practice education has been lacking. Thankfully, there is now more emphasis placed on learning this skill. There are plenty of practical suggestions in this part of the book to help you develop in this area.

Part 2 focusses on how to become partnership potential. What I really enjoyed about this section was the recognition that partnership potential isn't something to focus on later down your career path. It's something that interviewers are likely to be looking for at the very early stages of your career.

Part 3 is how to survive those early years. This will help you develop an appreciation of the importance of networking within the firm and outside the firm. Networking is absolutely essential if you want to be a partner. If you wait for work to come to you, it will pass you by, and so will partnership.

Part 4 moves into the stage of your career where you need to be thinking about building your own client portfolio and your own team. Professional practice is as much about relationships as it is about practice. In this section you will learn about leadership, motivating others, people management, team skills, and looking after your own heath and well being. If you think becoming partner is stress free, you'll need to think again. This part of the book will help you survive and thrive.

Part 5 takes you to the door of partnership. You'll carry out a skills and risk audit on yourself. You'll need to, because the partner admission process will involve exactly that. This part of the book discusses the admission process, and if you get the green light, the last chapter in the book helps you take those first steps as a parter.

If you are at the beginning of your professional practice career, this book provides you with the map and the route to turn your ambition of becoming a partner into a reality. If you are involved in helping others achieve their goals and ambitions, this book will help you to help them. That's a win-win.
on 21 November 2012
Thanks to Heather Townsend and Jo Larbie for providing the rare insight into how to make partner and still have a life. This book is a must for anyone responsible for career path management in the professional services sector. I wish this book had been available when I started out in legal HR.
on 6 December 2012
I originally bought this book for a friend who was wanting to make partner in his accountancy practice. I nearly didn't give him the book, as it was so practical, readable and actually applicable for anyone looking to get promoted without sacrificing their life in the process.

I particularly liked the chapters on becoming the 'go to expert' and 'growing your own client portfolio', I will be taking on board the advice in these chapters to help me with my business development responsibilities.
on 8 March 2015
This is a really good book and is thought provoking. It certainly helped me with writing my business case for partnership this year and I would recommend it to friends and colleagues. I only gave it a 4 because I think the price is a bit heavy for the paperback version.
on 19 December 2012
I picked this book up because many of my clients come from professional service firms. The first benefit I found for reading the book was I gained a deep understanding of their world, and particularly why technical competence seems to be valued much more than softer skills.

As I read the book, I was struck by the fact it is comprehensive and full of many practical tips. As I run a training and coaching business, I will be putting into practice much of the great advice given.

It's great on how to differentiate yourself, become the go-to-expert and build your own client portfolio in a time effective way.

I'd recommend this book for anyone new into the professions, or who works with the professions, or who is looking to progress their career within a partnership environment.
on 22 June 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed reading How To Make Partner and Still Have A Life. The book is structured in a very logical way and there are quotes throughout which help to really bring the content to life. It's a very practical book and includes many examples and exercises to do to support the learning. It's quite amazing how much the authors have managed to include in this book and, having now finished the book, I've started recommending it to a few friends. A great read, highly recommended to anyone looking to develop their career!
on 20 August 2013
A really incisive and easy to follow guide on reaching partnership and still be a member of the human race. Each chapter contains some great templates to help the user define their goals and strategies.

A must read for any aspiring partner or indeed any professional service firm partner.
on 14 December 2012
The book is a very useful guide covering many areas of professional life and provides practical suggestions to help navigate the path to partnership. As an aspiring Audit Manager in a top 10 accountancy firm, I am sure that this book will be useful over the next few years.