on 1 June 2014
Koolertron isn't a brand I'm familiar with, having seen it nowhere but Amazon. I'm not a brand snob but I was given pause when I realised the Koolertron name was on a tacky paper label that wasn't even put on straight.

The first bit of detail that lets it down is the degree scale around the base, not white on blue as shown here, but white on what might be brass (it might also be cadmium-plated steel - no way of knowing). What it quite definitely is, is almost illegible, white on brass-colour having insufficient contrast to show up clearly. The rotation is stiff and baulky, too. So stiff that rotating it anti-clockwise will unscrew it from the tripod no matter how tight it is.

For my intended use, that doesn't matter a lot - for anyone wanting to use that feature it could be a deal-breaker.

As for the rest of it, the implementation of the quick-release plate is best described as clunky and not that quick (the knob has to be unscrewed and the plate slid out - on every other q-r head I have the plate pops out when a lever is released).

The ball is smooth and locks up tightly, though I do have to ask why it needs two knobs to accomplish this - most ball heads manage with one, or a lever. Like the q-r plate, this just slows things down.

Note: It turns out that leaving one knob permanently loose works just fine - the other is more than adequate to lock up the ball on its own. Clearly, the second knob is superfluous.

So, OK, it works - but it could work a whole lot better.
on 20 March 2014
Really well made, all metal construction, fits my Manfrotto 681B Monopod perfectly being just slightly smaller diameter than the monopod. One of the biggest worries about any ballhead is being able to handle the weight, well the are no issues with this one. It holds my Nikon D7100 with battery grip and Sigma 50-500mm lens rock steady. Highly recommended.
on 20 October 2014
Arrived in a battered box repaired with a lot of sticky tape (the box that is) and the ballhead was similarly not what I expected, not even wrapped in a bit of bubble stuff. One of the knobs was quite bent, it seemed very stiff to operate, until a bit of broken metal fell out of it, then it was too loose.......the pictures make this look a lot better than it is....I know it is a cheap ballhead, but even so, I would expect it to arrive in a usable state and resemble the product photograph.

Not at all what I expected, poorly packaged by the manufacturer, not very well put together and very quickly returned to Amazon for a full refund.

There are a lot of nearly identical versions of this tripod head under a lot of different names so it must be a bit of a lottery if you get a good one.

Actually replaced this with a far superior Slik head found for a small amount more at a silly discount.....just need to look a bit harder.
on 10 December 2013
For the price it seems to be okay. Doesn't have the same quality-feeling, and the control knobs isn't quite as smooth as an expensive high-quality ball-head - but for the price, you can't complain about it.

Only 'quirk' I've found so far is, that the ball moves slightly when you adjust the tension knob. It's only about half a milimeter, but anyway... my Sirui ballhead ís steady as a rock, and doesn't move at all when adjusting.
on 7 January 2014
A very nice little accessory for and nature/sports photographer, I find the ball movement to be a little scratchy but overall very impressed with it and would recommend it as a cheaper option to the bigger brand names.
on 26 August 2014
Absolutely fantastic piece of kit. Very simple to use but sturdy as hell. I like the knob at the base as it allows you to turn the unit around to any angle without having to change the placement of your tripod etc.
on 3 October 2013
Good steady tripod head with use of big lenses well made good buy good construction recommend this item worth the money
on 4 February 2014
I don't know how I ever managed without this piece of equipment.Exactly engineered with no play even with very heavy weights attached.Well worth the money.
on 24 April 2014
I am very happy I bought this ball head. It works perfectly with my 1.2M camera slider. I would recommend this to anyone.
on 15 July 2014
Good tripod head. Now I have to find a way to mount in on my tripod ^^ or buy new one fit for it for ~£100 :/
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse