on 9 October 2013
Very good guidance, every woman could benefit from. As someone brought up never allowed to be assertive, I have struggled with it and confuse it with anger or 'not being nice' at times. But people have been assertive towards me and I value it. I want to feel more comfortable being assertive myself. We all have to deal with situations. This book helps us do it better and maintain our integrity.
on 15 December 2012
This updated version of 'A woman in your own right' Struck so many chords with me from the very first chapter. I have always conceded myself as a confidant and forward person but life could be a battle. Now self-assurance is effortless and confrontation no longer leaves me feeling drained. I feel freed from the power struggles of life. Well written and relevant to today's woman (and man).
on 30 August 2014
I wish I had read this book before choosing a bridesmaid I didn't like because she made me feel guilty for saying no and choosing a name for my baby I don't like because of pressure from others to m air a decision in their time not mine. Looking forward to practising what I've learned here. Thank you.
on 25 April 2014
Learning how to be assertive is a life-saver.

I first read this book some 20 years ago. It quite literally changed my life. I learned how to say what I needed to say at the right time and in the right way. No more misunderstanding, ambiguity, manipulating, martyrdom from myself towards others or them towards me!

I must have bought at least 20 copies since, but I've given them all away during my practice as a volunteer in miscarriage support. Grief and bereavement can cause serious breakdown in clear conversation. Everybody thinks they know what you are going through and how you should act, but they don't as "they" are not you. Being able to tell your truth in a clear, consistent and honest way literally does save relationships at these overwhelming times and allows the right things to be said and understood and for grief to flow fluently.

I have recently purchased a Kindle copy for my own reference - hence the opportunity for this review. I'm delighted to have had the chance to pass this snippet on.
on 18 December 2012
This book has been around years and the new edition takes in new technology such as email and Twitter but the basic message is the same one Anne Dickson has been sharing for decades. We should all learn to express ourselves calmly and confidently and expect to be treated with respect and consideration. I found it very helpful and informative
on 26 February 2014
This book was recommended to me and what I got from it was so helpful I ordered it again for family and friends borrowed my copy I had to fight to get it back. This updated version has all the great information the first offered. If you are looking for a book to help you to assert yourself in non aggressive manner you will not be disappointed.
on 4 May 2013
A brilliant book. Explains very clearly the differences between aggressive/assertive/passive behaviour and language.There are still a lot of mis-understandings about what " assertiveness" actually is i.e. it is NOT about just getting what you want.
on 21 October 2015
This book changed my life and made me the person I am. I read it when it was first published and took on board everything in it : Dickson explains very simply and clearly how to live your life honestly and effectively. Everything makes perfect sense.

This is the only self-help book you will ever need. I have bought any number of copies and given them to students, family, friends - oh, and men and boys too. If you think you may need it, you do - as one friend said 'the only thing that's missing is your name.'
on 25 July 2013
This book is fantastic for anyone who has lost their confidence and has low self esteem. I will keep it beside me all the time and refer to it for support it is like my own personal counsellor
on 28 June 2015
if you're reading these reviews then you have some questions about assertiveness. Buy this book; just buy it.

It's sound advice from a kind voice with a wealth of experience. It's full of simple rules for establishing yourself wholeheartedly in the world, whoever you are.

This book will help you change things for the better.