TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 June 2013
This book is so relentlessly cheerful that it managed to convince me, computer illiterate but familiar with every binary swear word in my own machine's vocabulary, that I could very easily make massive changes to promote myself and my business better through social media. It is a complicated read, especially if you bring almost nothing with you by way of social media savvy, but it is the sort of work that is begging to be read several times, picking out more and more of relevance as you grow in confidence.

I read this a number of times while on a recent cruise. Dave Kerpen has produced a highly informative book, dealing with some very formidable topics, and he has made that book highly enjoyable to read. There is perhaps a little too much 'product placement' amongst the examples for my tastes, and the constant references to Likeable Media do really become quite aggravating by the end (he's CEO of that company. You didn't know that? Oh, you soon will - he only mentions it approximately six million times). But I found myself becoming more and more frustrated that I couldn't just find myself a computer there and then and put Mr Kerpen's '18 strategies' straight into action. Well, I could have found a computer easily enough but, since ship's internet costs precisely one arm and one leg, that was simply never going to be a goer.

Up until sending for this book, I had always been one of those people who very much favoured 'face-to-face' negotiations and a telephone - a 'Dinosaur', I think that's the polite word for us. I do not readily embrace technology and technology seems to embrace me like an iron maiden. I don't even know why I sent for this book - the only logical explanation would be some kind of midlife crisis. This work concentrates very heavily on Facebook and I do have an account. But I don't have one solitary 'Friend' there. Not that I'm that unpopular (at least, I sincerely hope that's not the reason); It's just that I have never really promoted myself over there. That and the fact that everyone I know is even more incompetent when it comes to computers than I am.

But that's all going to change now. Everything from targetted advertising to dealing with disatisfied clients, it's all covered. The author devotes much time to emphasing how even the most caustic of online complaints can be completely turned around in order to give a positive image to the company, provided you handle the reply properly. I'm not entirely convinced that will get me very far with the sort of no-necked bruisers from Basildon that I have to deal with sometimes but I'm willing to give it a go. Not that I'm expecting too many complaints, but I might just look into buying myself a keyboard that can bite its metaphorical tongue, just in case

I don't have the courage yet to follow the suggestions and see who is talking about me online and, more importantly, precisely what they are saying. However, perhaps the most valuable and intriguing idea to actually get maximum effect from your presence on the web is to lurk in places where your professional services may be required (message boards perhaps, or the odd forum), ready to leap out at the right dramatic moment, unfurl your avatar and offer some 'unbiased' advice. I shall be doing that, definitely. And may heaven help you all.

I'm off to 'create an irresistible brand' now, so I can 'be generally amazing on Facebook (and other social networks)'. I'll start with Facebook. Luckily I quite like my own company.
on 25 July 2013
I bought Likeable Social Media alongside The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book and 500 Social Media Marketing Tips, based on the amount of positive reviews on Amazon and a bit of googling. I was looking for direction for our companies social media marketing efforts. I have had the books for a few days now and feel ready to review.

Out of the three, this book is the best. It bridges the gap between the lack of information contained in USBMB, but the good explaination of positive language, and the shorter 500 Tips. It provides more explaination but is easy to dip into now and then. Infact everytime I open it I read a few more pages than I have time to, each time gleaning more precious information from it. The only negative I can think of is that it does lean towards Facebook all too often and sometimes neglects the other networks but really, that is a moot point. Well recommended for those trying to get a step up on the social media ladder.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 March 2015
I have loved this book, really useful and has massively helped me change the way use social media for the Charitable organisation I work for. I find it has helpful and useful advise. It reads really well. It has made me alot more confident with Social media and since taking the advice from this book and putting it in place our Twitter has grown and grown. I have been able to show my 'tech-phobe' colleauges how fantastic Social Media can be when used properly.
For charities and small organisations that don' t have massive million pounds marketing budgets, this is a must buy to help you advance and get yourself out there!
on 24 September 2013
If you're reading this review then I'm sure you've seen the hundreds of others offering social media help. I've read more than I can remember, and plenty offer little more than simple common sense. This book offers plenty of useful tips and is great if you're new to social media or some of the less mainstream or well known social sites.
on 27 August 2014
There are some books which are an essential addition to the Social Media Library of experienced marketer and this is one such. Of great value to beginners also, Dave Kerpen has a particular grasp of how to integrate social media in the entire customer experience. Listen, engage, share, respond, inspire, create a community but above all be honest and transparent. Great guidelines to making social media a likeable and enjoyable practice. No wonder Likeable local is enjoying such growth - it's a great platform. JKA
on 18 May 2014
Likeable Social Media is a great and easy read with useful steps to implement the advice given. You learn about how to successfully interact with existing and potential clients with really good "how to"s and "how not to"s. This book will be helpful to people who are just starting out on their social media journey to get things right from the start all the way to more experienced social media professionals who are willing to learn another thing or two. Well done, Dave Kerpen! :)
on 10 November 2013
Having just launched a new early years education business targeting parents, I knew I needed to understand how to more effectively reach and engage my audience using social media. I stumbled upon this book from an amazon search and decided I had to start somewhere... I was not disappointed! likeable social media is so much more than a quick do or don't guide. It actually talks about principles of business, how and why certain things work and why we should be 'human', transparent and 'likeable'. It is a real easy read and I would seriously recommend it to anyone wanting to do things the right way from the beginning. Thank you Dave!
on 30 June 2013
I am currently in the process of building a brand that is very user friendly. I bought this book with the intention of picking up a few good tips.
I didn't pick up a few....I picked up a lot! This whole book is fantastic for starting out or starting over. It makes the 'jargon' of social media easy to understand and take advantage of.
I started to build my brand 'sporty tourists' from scratch in February and have grown it quicker than I expected on a minimum part time basis!
This book if followed is a recipe for social media success.
100% recommendation!
on 14 January 2018
Awesome! Great book
on 23 December 2016
It is a bit too simplified, but if you are a beginner then I recommend it for reading