Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 14 April 2013
My old laptop hardly holds its battery level so looked for something else to take on vacation. Only a few days before I went away I found this Notepad and saw it would do everything that I wanted. I ordered it via Amazon and fast delivery and it arrived within 2 days and 2 days before I went away. I managed to load it with all progs I required and was amazed at how easy and useful it turned out to be. All hotels I stayed at, as well as airports, had wifi (so I was I kept occupied waiting!!) and in touch with everything I needed. It was light to carry and have on a plane. I cannot recommend it enough.
on 4 June 2013
This computer is agonisingly slow. It is very slow to boot up, it is very slow to respond to basic commands such as opening a browser. I don’t normally write reviews, and particularly not negative ones, but this computer falls so far below my basic expectations that a warning to others is appropriate. I bought this as a present for someone who just wanted a portable computer to do basic internet browsing quickly while out and about. It is too slow for even this most basic of tasks. Unless you like watching an arrow going around in a circle while waiting for something to happen I would strongly recommend buying something else.
on 11 May 2013
This is a great little Netbook, and I carry mine around in my rucksack, good size and larger screen. This has a higher speck than the 10.1 netbooks, but you can upgrade it more:

First upgrade I did was to get a SSD drive, SATA 2 or 3 is ok, speed is great, you can get one from Amazon, mine is crucial and the user experience is 8.1 now.( I had to install Windows 8 from scratch, had to create a recovery disk to a SD card and boot to it, cloning did not work).

Second is the RAM, it will take 8GB, here are the details:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Currently Installed Memory: 8GB
Total Memory Slots: 1
Available Memory Slots: 0
Part number CT102464BF1339

So this gives me 4.9 graphics

So my Netbook is much better now and I feel as good as a regular laptop, but smaller. After 1 month I am not disappointed.
on 19 June 2013
This is a very nice netbook with a larger than usual HD screen (11.6 inches), good battery life and an excellent keyboard. WiFi, Skype, USB and all the usual connectivity is included. Capacious hard drive (320 GB) and built-in webcam add to its charms. And on that topic, what a pity that it runs Windows 8.0, which slows it down, is totally counter-intuitive and was designed for a touch screen device.

Perhaps, by the time you read this, Microsoft will have updated everyone to version 8.1 - it can't come soon enough.

Until then, this is a good, value-for-money portable PC. Pair it with the Tech air 11.6 inch Lightweight sleeve and you can take it anywhere.
on 1 September 2013
This netbook is a fantastic piece of kit for the money and performance is fine for day to day tasks. You'll be disappointed if you want to do video editing or play the latest games, but I've found that it's got more than enough oomph to play Deus Ex, Morrowind and similarly aged games if you want to kill a few hours.

That being said, there are a few tweaks to make this netbook even better:

If you like linux, ubuntu 13.04 64bit runs perfectly out of the box, and the latest catalyst drivers (13.4) install without a problem so long as you follow the instructions in the unofficial wiki. One I installed the official drivers and tlp (a power management package) I've been able to get a good 5 hours of battery life with middling screen brightness and the wi-fi on.

It really needs 4GBs or more of RAM. 2Gbs just isn't enough if you plan on doing much in the way of multitasking. Thankfully, there is no tamper seal on the inside of the case and upgrading the memory and hard disk is very straightforward. If you want to improve performance and battery life still further, you can add an SSD very easily with this little laptop and that'll give you an extra couple of hours of battery life.

At present, if you do these upgrades, you'll get something that's not far off ultrabook specification for £330, which isn't bad at all.
on 6 November 2013
This netbook is a good buy.
The Pros: lightweight, good battery life (about 3 hours fully charged), reasonable price for the functionality.

Cons: experienced glitches; can be slow when other applications are running in the background.
on 5 August 2013
A lovely netbook but Acer have made a major mistake using windows 8. Windows 8 does not automatically include Tethering so you cannot usb connect it to your Android phone like Windows 7. After much searching I found an answer on XDA developer's that works. Connect your Android device to your Windows 8 netbook. Go to device manager, see a yellow question mark under Android device, highlight it and chose update driver, select let me choose, and scroll to network adapters, scroll down to Microsoft, select Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device. Acknowlede and proceed to install. It works. Thanks to XDA developers. I am well pleased to be able now to tether my phone. Now to learn more about Windows 8. Acer are some of the best laptop netbooks around.
on 19 May 2013
It arrived in January - excellent swift service - and switched on just fine but sadly with 2gb ram it was delivered with Windows 8 and not 7. So slow, slow, slow and I don't know if it is a "friday" model but the wifi range is poor as well. Not a good purchase. I am looking to replace windows 7 with XP, cheaper than uprating memory, and this toy will become a basic notebook for drafting copy to a "real" computer. I have more fun with a cheap android pad! There are obviously better products out there but the day of the netbook could be over if this is cutting edge and curse you Microsoft for releasing such a dumb package!
on 20 March 2013
Sadly it has Windows 8 so very difficult to comprehend what on earth is going on and how to do normal things. Not a kid, so it's not for posing or playing about on, hence the choice of this machine with it's full size keyboard which grown ups with fully grown fingers can use. The problem is really the Microsoft operating system. The majority of people in Computer Mag. surveys condemn it as a nuisance and will go back to 7 or XP rather than use this. Same applies to the Email - Outlook now.

The Machine itself feels good, though rather sluggish, but maybe again, that is down to Windows 8. My wife uses it for herself, with me being called upon to try to find normal things for her, which she cannot find on 8 or which keep disappearing.

Sadly, being a bloke, my slightest touch is too heavy, and everything flies out of the window when I try to use the touch-pad even gently. Hope my wife masters it, otherwise I'll have to remove 8 and buy Windows 7!
on 6 May 2013
I'm now returning the second netbook that has just failed with EXACTLY the same fault as the first one i.e. After displaying the "Acer" logo, the screen blacks out and goes no further with the startup routine.

The first one lasted 28 days (thankfully just within Amazon's time limit for a return) the second one has lasted 12 days before failing with the same error.

This time I'm getting a refund to buy a different make!