1,259
Format: Blu-ray|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 May 2011
I may be a thirty eight year old but I'm not ashamed to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching this! It well deserves to be Disney's 50th production and harks back to the good old Disney that we know and love.

It's the story of Rapunzel told with the humour and sensitivity that only Disney can provide. The characters are all equally awesome, from the obvious leads of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, to Pascal and Maximus. My favourite scene has got to be when Rapunzel first leaves her tower and is torn between feeling elated and happy to depressed and guilty.

The songs are brilliant, especially 'Mother Knows Best'. The baddies are great and there's some edge of the seat stuff too. If you love Disney like I do, then you're in for a real treat.

All in all, this is a really heartwarming and happy film that will have you smiling like an idiot long after it's finished!
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2011
So you're sat on a plane, looking through the movies, can't find anything to watch, see this on the menu and realise at 29 you're probably a little too old to watch it... But why not!

I'm so glad I did. In all honesty I was expecting your run of the mill straight to dvd kind of Disney movie as I hadn't heard much about this when it was out in the cinema and I was wonderfully surprised. So much so I bought it as soon as I got back from my holiday :)

This a lovingly crafted take on the classic Rapunzel. I don't really want to give away any spoilers about Disney's take on it as one of the things I liked about this was the intro at the beginning that explains how Rupunzel finds herself hidden away from the world trapped in her tower. Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore do a wonderful job on voicing the main characters. As a Chuck fan I got a kick out hearing Zachary Levi as the wonderfully comedic haphazard "hero". Not often the hero's weapon of choice ends up being a cast iron frying pan :)

Overall without giving too much away, it's a wonderful journey through a familiar fairy tale and will make you laugh in all the right places. Lot's for the kids and plenty for the adults to chuckle at.
This is by far one of the best animated films I have seen in a long time, the story is very well written that keeps close to the theme of the old classic tale WHILST changing certain aspects of the story, which in my opinion was actually an improvement.

Tangled gives you a lot of that old Disney's feeling, while bringing something new, it has beautiful music tracks and just like the old Disney classics, it has songs you could sing along too.

Every character has their own unique personality that you will instantly love, be it Flynn with his hilarious flirtatious behaviour, Rapunzel's cute, caring & clumsiness personality, Pascal the chameleon's sweet yet tough attitude or Maximus; the horse who is completely fearless and has a serious vendetta against Flynn which is extremely entertaining.

The voices were perfect, if someone asked me if I could change anyone's voice, who would it be... I just couldn't do it.

Overall in my opinion this is a master piece, visually the film is stunning and you get a real connection with all the characters, it's just one big emotional roller-coaster. This film will definitely be enjoyed no matter who you are; child, teen, adult, male or female, if you haven't seen it yet, then I would recommend you do so.

Top marks from me!
44 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2011
One of the very best Disney movies for decades, possibly ever. When the House of Mouse bought Pixar, I was worried that Pixar's genius and uncompromising dedication to story and character would be diluted by the Disney merchandising machine. But I'm pleased to say the opposite seems to be happening - Pixar seem to be raising the quality of Disney's output. Much respect to everyone involved with making TANGLED, but most particularly to Dan Fogelman for a perfect, perfect screenplay that appeals to boys and girls, young and old. It's got charm, whimsy, action, suspense and real heart. And unlike most Disney fairy tales, the resolution is brilliant, heartfelt, surprising, shocking and genuinely romantic. What more do you want?
44 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 July 2011
In the recent years the Pixar branch of Disney has dominated the market for childrens cinema. I didn't have any expectations for Tangled, but I was absolutley blown away by how fantastic it was. I had almost forgotten that Disney characters used to sing in films, but Tangled reminded me of this within the first 5 minutes of the movie and I knew I was in for a treat. The two leads Rapunzel and Flynn Rider are charasmtic and interesting, particularly Flynn who is hilerious and has some of the best lines, that will make the adults laugh as well as the kids. They're supported by Maximus the horse and Pascal the chameleon who are equally funny and charming. This is a great watch for the whole family and anyone who is a fan of the old Disney format mixed with the new computer animated style of animation.
on 14 February 2011
Went to see this at the cinema yesterday with my five and three year old daughters. They had been playing Rapunzel for weeks after the amount of adverts on the telly. I was ready for disappointment as the build up had been immense, you know, all the best bits were in the adverts ...I shouldn't have been worried. Before the end titles had finished my five year old turned to me and said "I want this film at home. Buy it for me, please." Even found myself crying at the end. Fantastic Disney. So much better than Princess and the Frog.
Immediately, it was obvious to me that it wasn't going to be an exact take on the Rapunzel story as is told in my son Harry's Grimm's Fairy Tales book but luckily he didn't seem to notice. It starts with a sick queen, who needs a special golden flower to heal her, only its being hidden by the evil witch, who later becomes Mother Gothel. Straight away, Harry was drawn in by the story, worrying about the Queen and being pleased when she was healed, and then as the story became more like the Rapuzel he has read about, he was pointing it out such as Rapunzel being locked in the tower, and Mother Gothel shouting "Rapunzel, let down your hair!" when she wants to come into the tower.

The animation is absolutely stunning and exactly what you expect from a Disney movie. It actually reminded me very much of what I call the Disney classics such as Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, films which will always have a special place in my heart and that you can enjoy over and over again. The animation is crystal clear, it has a real magical air to it and Rapunzel is the perfect Disney princess that all little girls will love. Harry was rather taken with her purple dress and her long hair actually, saying she looked beautiful, what a charmer my son is! As with all Disney movies, it is also filled with song, with some great numbers between the characters throughout that really filled the film with happiness!

The characters were all perfectly done. Rapunzel was the perfect heroine, she transformed from a quiet and shy young teenager into a confident and fun young woman and that was wonderful to see. It sounds silly but I was so taken with the way the animators handled her hair, there was such a huge amount of it yet it appeared perfectly in every scene and was a real major player, almost as if it deserved a character name of its very own. It was amazing when it took on the magical powers, Harry's chin literally dropped and it did add a special magic to what was already a fantastic movie. She is a very pretty character, as I say a perfect Disney princess and with Mandy Moore's speaking and singing voice, she sounds like one too. Moore does a superb job, sings the songs with real gusto and has that special angelic tone all Disney female characters have when they sing.

Flynn Rider is a great hero. I wasn't too sure about him at first, wondering how his heroic qualities would shine through but they certainly did. He is absolutely hilarious, delivering a lot of the comedic lines as well as his "smouldering" pose which had the audience, in particular us mums in stitches. Some of this humour goes over the little one's heads but even so it is really funny and I loved it. Zachary Levi voices Flynn and I think he does a great job, and lends himself well to Flynn's few musical numbers too. I was really impressed with Donna Murphy who voices Mother Gothel as well, I did expect it to be someone slightly older to be honest but Murphy's voice has a real quality to it which powers through the film, and she delivers the musical numbers of Mother Gothel with such ease, she certainly draws you in and does a great job with her character.

The songs featured are what I would call typical Disney music but they are brilliant. The movie starts almost immediately with a song by Rapunzel entitled 'When Will My life Begin', an uptempo number with Rapunzel trying to see the best in her sheltered life. The musical numbers carry on through the film, some with just Mandy Moore singing, and other ensemble numbers such as "I've Got A Dream". "I See the Light" is the love song of the movie sung between Rapunzel and Fynn towards the end of the movie and is very touching, but I have to say my favourite musical song has to be "Healing Incantation", a short song of only around a minute but it seems to capture the essence and magic of the movie in just that short few seconds, its perfect.

As you can tell, I probably cannot fault this movie at all, and I can't wait until its released on DVD so that Harry and I can enjoy it again. We left the cinema with Harry exclaiming it is new favourite movie (until we're forced to watch Wall-E again for the 1000th time I'm sure!) and he hasn't really stopped talking about it since, from Rapunzel's glowing hair to the evil witch who really captured his attention. I have to say the ending sequences were simply beautiful and there was't a dry eye in the house amongst us mums in the audience for one particular scene at the end, you can't help but shed a tear. There are no words spoken but the musical emotion and that on the animated characters faces speak it all. This film is simply beautiful, from its stunning animation, fun characters, beautiful scenery and wonderful musical numbers to the special message about taking a risk and getting everything you desire at the heart of it. Beautiful, and a must see.
on 10 March 2011
After the abomination that was Hoodwinked I suspected this would be another weak rip off of a well loved fairytale.

Having been dragged to see it I couldn't have been more wrong, it was much, much better than I expected.

Exciting, inventive, beautifully produced, great characters, story, humour and animation. It easily kept me engaged as well as the children.

One of the best releases in this genre for the last couple of years.

Will be well worth buying when it's released as the kids will watch it over and over again.
on 30 January 2011
Yes! If not funnier! Take a look at the picture, sword-fighting horse, girl with ridiculously long hair wielded as a weapon (I laughed every time she walked across the screen and the hair just kept trailing behind her), a chameleon on top of the girl's head, and a roguish guy wielding a frying pan. Hilarious, right? Makes you giggle. Well, no matter how old you are, you are going to love Rapunzel, Maximus (the horse), Pascal (the chameleon), and Flynn. And you will laugh every few minutes for a few minutes. And when you're not laughing, you're sniggering or captivated.

And yes, I was serious when I said all ages, as Disney have certainly kept the parents and older siblings (who would invariably be dragged to watch this) in mind. Some kids sat next to me, enjoyed the movie (don't know how much, but they didn't seem disappointed with it). My Mom, loved the movie. Sixteen year old me, loved the movie with one minor exception that could at most take half a star out of my rate, but that's not an option on Amazon. I walked out of the theatre certain of one thing, I want this movie on DVD.

The songs aren't amazingly awesome, meaning Alan Menken (wrote the songs for Aladdin and many other classic Disney) let us down somewhat. But overall the songs aren't bad, very good, even. The "villain's song" isn't the best, but it has a great, unique feel to it.
on 14 July 2011
Tangled is simply a very well made, entertaining family film. The animation is perfectly realised and while cgi obviously had a hand in its creation it was nice to watch what is ostensibly an 'old-fashioned' Disney flick. The story is predictable, but that's kind of the Disney remit, but perfectly paced and full of comedy and pathos. At times it does get slightly mawkish but, again, that's to be accepted and it does not dtract from the film as a whole. The voice cast are all excellent and the on-screen characters are rendered so near-perfectly that every emotion can be seen on their faces, which at times can be both unsettling and uplifting.

It is a perfect, 'cosy' Disney film to be watched on a rainy afternoon to bring a ray of sunshine. And the happy ending almost makes you feel like crying with happiness. This is one film I'll be revisiting again and again. My only gripe (which is entirely personal) is that Rapunzel's tower, enclaved in stunning mountains and accessible only through a hidden tunnel covered with bushes, in which she was imprisoned is so beautiful and comfortingly hidden away (a bit like the wardrobe in the Narnia series) that it was difficult to see it as her prison and something for her to strive to reject. I for one would have returned like a shot.

A film that can only be described in adjectives that I rarely use and do not particularly like: nice, lovely, warm, heart-felt, adorable, pleasant, delightful and enchanting.