on 21 June 2017
Love it, my favourite place in the world, doesn't disappoint
on 26 April 2013
I love the cover of this book. I found it appealing and the artwork is just superb. I was disappointed with the blurb. I felt I was bombarded with an in-your-face-advertisement, but I'm promised 'laughs' from this short novel and judging by the reviews I don't think I'll be disappointed.

The 'look inside' feature hooked me straight away and told me about the character whose journey I was going to share in 53 pages. It was funny, visual and I LIKED Maureen from the start (glad she's fictional, mind!).

The book is a multi-POV which was a little distracting at times, but it was a clean read. Maureen is a wonderful character whose heart is in the right place. She's bossy, clumsy and loud. The story took off at a good pace and carried on in a fun and light-hearted way, which I was enjoying. But then something happened, and it'd spoil the story if I said what, so that's just say it took a sinister turn, which didn't bode well with the 'fun' theme. Hill tried to pull it back, but didn't quite succeed in my opinion. Other's mightn't agree with me (I'm a sensitive soul), but it marred the book a little.

Apart from that, Maureen Goes to Venice has genuine laugh-out-loud and oh-my-god moments, and it shows that Jonathan Hill has a good grasp of people's psyche. The ending was in keeping with the fun theme and Maureen had her revenge if unintended. I found the creation of Maureen to be a charming and eccentric character, and refreshing from the either ditzy twenty-somethings women to the older male `loveable rogues' that are often the focus in comedy fiction.

I feel there's more to Maureen and I want to get to know her better. I shall be reading more of her adventures and have the next book on my Kindle: A Letter for Maureen.
on 20 January 2013
Maureen Goes to Venice is a very funny book and there are some scenes which make you laugh aloud even when at times you feel sorry for poor Maureen. I first met Maureen when she was visiting an Art Exhibition in Jonathan Hill's collection of short stories Eclectic. There she was a rather charming but hapless lady of mature years who was endearing although slightly ridiculous. On her trip to Venice her less endearing characteristics come to the fore and her egotistical behaviour is more developed. The book is peopled with a cast of minor characters who are given personalities by the author's eye for quirky details and succinct comments. I really enjoyed reading it and have already downloaded the next one: A Letter for Maureen.
on 27 January 2013
A funny tale about a single lady on her travels to venice. She surrounds herself with disaster at the delight of the reader. A short story.
on 10 April 2013
Maureen goes to Venice

When Maureen, the overwhelming yet strangely lovable heroine arrives in Venice for a holiday, you know that she will attract trouble with a capital 'T'. She is cursed with a defective suitcase, an unwanted admirer and an inability to say no to wine. You will laugh at her when she gets into a tricky situation on a gondola, sympathise with her when she wonders if she can get away with murder, and admire her taste in literature as she reads an ebook on her kindle.

Thoroughly recommended - a lighthearted and hilarious read.
Maureen, a widow, is going to Venice but first she must buy a suitcase. This episode - where all but the newest shop assistant vanish as soon as Maureen appears sets the scene for a catastrophe prone few days. But Maureen isn't as terrible as you might think. She has a heart of gold and doesn't want to upset people but the trouble is things just seem to go wrong for her. Not that she isn't well able to rescue herself from her predicaments as this story shows.

I enjoyed this amusing story sufficiently to make me want to read the next one about Maureen - `A Letter for Maureen'. I think the author has created a memorable character and his writing is amusing and low key. He clearly has an affection for Maureen and doesn't try to get the laughs by ridiculing her. If you want an entertaining short read then try this.
on 30 May 2013
Maureen is one of a kind! This short story was funny enough to keep me entertained for a couple of hours. Maureen is a kind of 'Mrs Bucket' with a heart of gold. She finds herself in some very unsettling situations, often of her own making, but is always well meaning and manages to sort herself out eventually.
I look forward to reading more 'Maureen' stories.
on 1 April 2013
I think we all know someone who is either very like Maureen or has aspects of Maureen-ness thrust upon her. Jonathan Hill does a good job of not making her into a complete caricature and I suspect that what makes all of us cringe is that there is a little bit of Maureen lurking deep down in our thoughts and habits. This is an assured short story that really makes you feel as if you have toured the canals and alleyways of Venice (and I haven't even been there - it's on my bucket list). Grab a chunk of Maureen (there's plenty to go around), you won't be disappointed.
on 30 August 2013
I'm not quite sure whether I Love or Hate Maureen, she's that kind of character. No mean feat for a writer to produce such a lovably detestable lead character. For some reason, I just kept coming back and reading more about her adventure in Venice and she grew on me. All in all, an enjoyable bit of light reading and worthy of recommendation
on 27 November 2013
Thoroughly engaging from start to finish - I read this in one sitting and couldn't put it down. Hilarious in places with an undercurrent of sadness. Very well written.