Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 January 2013
Bought for my 7-year-old son's birthday party as background music, mainly because it has Gangnam Style on it (yes, yes, I know...)

Apart from the aforementioned Korean monstrosity, which I actually don't mind all that much - probably because I don't know whether the lyrics are a load of old tosh or not as they're in Korean - every single song sounds exactly the same as every other song to me, with the exception of Elbow and (I can't quite believe I'm saying this) Robbie Williams.

Same sounds, same tempo, same four chords, same featured artists, same, same, same, samey samey same.

It was as if Calvin Harris had popped round my house for tea and decided to whack me about the head 130 times a minute for two hours with one of his own keyboards, while Florence Welch and Example took turns singing the word "same" in the key of C major (or A minor, if it's a sad song about splitting up and stuff).

As a result I found myself weeping in the corner, rocking back and forth, sucking my thumb and sticking my fingers in my ears (no mean feat I can tell you) while longing for the days of Now That's What I Call Music 10 which had M/A/R/R/S, Nina Simone, Whitesnake and Level 42 (google them, kids) on the same album, and wondering why all my calendars say 2013 when surely it's only just turned 1988 and I can't be old enough to have a 7-year-old son as I'm only 12 myself...

But I can't blame the compilers of current pop music compilations for including current pop music on current pop music compilations, and I'm sure my kids and their friends will like it, so on balance, 3 stars.

Edit 15/01/13 - having listened to the thing a few times now I quite like Sam and the Womp, it's got an interesting Middle Eastern-sounding melody and reminds me of Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag by Pigbag (google them, kids).
88 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2013
I bought this for my daughter (aged 7) She doesn't really have much idea of modern music, poor child, her Mum is a Radio 2 listener! So I decided to try and inspire her. She LOVES this CD. I told her I used to get these as a child. 'Did they make one a year?' 'erm, no I'm not 83!' It's regularly on her CD player, and she has enjoyed mini discos with her friends!
on 25 February 2013
Bought as a Christmas present for a teenager she was very happy with the present. execellent value and came very quickly
on 14 March 2013
I always buy the Now CDs when they come out - they have a wide range of good chart music and this edition from the end of 2012 is no exception. In fact, I tend to find the ones released in November every year to be the better mixes, so this is up there with the good Now editions. There's always some tracks that you love, some you don't always like but recognise, some hidden gems towards the end of the CDs and some tracks that end up growing on you. If you are into chart music, then Now CDs are always a good buy, and this one has plenty of tracks to suit everyone's tastes.
on 27 May 2013
Oh dear! I used to regularly buy these albums which had a good mixture of genres but now it's gone rather bland. The only stand out track is She Wolf and Psy - the rest are very samey. I think I may be a little too old for these maybe as there are probably geared towards the younger generation.
on 26 November 2012
This Now album is fantastic and is definetly the best winter Now album in a long time, it is much better than last winter's Now 80 and both Now 81 and 82. It has to be the best winter Now since Now 71 (one of my favourite NOW albums) There are heaps of great songs on this one.

Disc 1

Robbie Williams - Candy
Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin - Don't You Worry Child
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting back Together
Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch - Sweet Nothing
Wiley feat. Skepta, JME & Ms D - Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya)
Flo Rida - I Cry
Ne-Yo - Let Me Love You (Until you Learn to Love Yourself)
Owl City feat. Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time
Katy Perry - Wide Awake
P!nk - Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
Relight - Lost in Your Love
Rita Ora - How We Do (Party)
Cheryl - Under the Sun
Wiley feat. Ms D - Heatwave

Disc 2

Labrinth feat. Emeli Sande - Beneath Your Beautiful
The Script feat. will.i.am - Hall of Fame
Florence + the Machine - Spectrum (Say My Name)
David Guetta feat. Sia - She Wolf (Falling to Pieces)
Calvin Harris feat. Example - We'll Be Coming Back
Karmin - Brokenhearted
Simple Plan feat. Sean Paul - Summer Paradise
Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
Elbow - One Day Like This

Then they're are songs that i don't like:-

PSY - Gangnam Style
Sam and the Womp - Bom Bom

I'd say those 2 songs are the only 2 songs i don't like at all. Funnily enough them both being the opening and closing tracks of disc 1 which is always the stronger disc. I still think disc 1 is better of the 2 although disc 2 doesn't have any bad songs, it just has slighty less good ones. All the rest of the songs i haven't mentioned are average at the very least.

Then of course there are the songs that missed out:-

Rihanna - Diamonds - Not a Rihanna fan but i am absolutely astounded this song wasn't included in this album, they always include Rihanna and the fact it reached number 1 makes it even more of a travesty this song wasn't included. I also highly doubt it will be on Now 84 as she will have newer songs out by then.

Adele - Skyfall - Not a fan of Adele either, but this is her only top five single not to be included on a Now album which is very strange. Maybe the fact it's a bond theme is something to do with it :/

Otto Knows - Million Voices - Very suprised this song wasn't on it either, this is a great tune and its the sort of song that would be included. It may have been a different story had it charted slightly higher.

Olly Murs feat. Flo Rida - Troublemaker - Reached number 1 today, so it will probably be on Now 84 instead had it been released a bit earlier it would have definetly made this album.

Lawson - Standing in the Dark - We get 'Taking Over Me' instead, we might see this song on Now 84 as it has peaked at #6 depending on whether Lawson release another single or not.

Girls Aloud - Something New - They included last year's Children in Need song 'Teardrop' on last winter's album Now 80 so i was expecting to see this song on here, again it only went into the charts today, so we might see this in Now 84.

Leona Lewis feat. Childish Gambino - Trouble - Well the funny fact that Leona Lewis has never appeared on an odd number Now album continues. Strange this song wasn't included as it reached #7 in the charts and her last single with Avicii 'Collide' was on Now 80.

Emeli Sande - Read All About It Part III - She already has a double appearance on this album, so triple appearances would be a big ask, The original version was on Now 80 so maybe it was a bit unessesary to include this song despite the fact it peaked at #3 in the UK singles chart.

Lady Antebellum - Need You Now - Great song, but i don't think Lady Antebellum have ever appeared on a Now album before, so i'm not too suprised this song didn't make it.

Dappy - Good Intentions - peaked at #12 which is pretty low compared to a lot of the songs on this album, his previous singles 'No Regrets' and 'Rockstar' appeared on Now 80 and Now 81 but they peaked a lot higher and stayed in the top 40 a lot longer than this song did.

Tulisa feat. Tyga - Live It Up - They left out Dappy so they'd thought they'd leave Tulisa out as well. This song also didn't hang around the top 40 at all despite peaking at #11, a place higher than Dappy's single.

The Killers - Runaways - It would of been nice to see the Killers on a Now album as they have been absent since 'Human' appeared on Now 72, but it peaked at a mere #18, again may have been included had it had done better in the charts.

Conor Maynard - Vegas Girl - Reached Number #4 in the charts shortly after Now 82 was released. Although it charted higher than 'Turn Around', Turn Around is included instead.

That's about all of the songs that i had included in my traklist predition of the album and there's also the songs i wasn't really expecting :-

Wiley feat. Skepta, JME & Ms D - Can You Hear Me? (Ayayaya) - Thought it would have been saved for Now 84 due to his previous single 'Heatwave' being on here.
Redlight - Lost in Your Love
Nuaghty Boy feat. Emeli Sande - Wonder
Karmin - Brokenhearted
Trey Songz - Simply Amazing
Simple Plan feat. Sean Paul - Summer Paradise - Very old and left the charts months ago and only peaked at #12, however it's actually a very good song :)
Angel - Wonderful
Devlin feat. Ed Sheeran - Watchtower
Elbow - One Day Like This

As you may notice most of the listed songs mentioned above make up the final third of Disc 2, as to when i first looked at the tracklisting i thought it was slightly disapointing and thought they seemed like they were just 'fillers' that i'd never heard of but i was proven wrong when most the those songs were really good which makes this album fantastic. Every song has peaked within the top 20 apart from Stooshe's 'Waterfalls' which peaked at a rather disapointing #21 and has now fallen a jaw dropping 24 places in it's second week of being in the top 40. On the plus side it is higher than the previous album Now 82's lowest charting signle - Ed Sheeran's Small Bump which peaked at #25.

That's all i can say really and i know i've already said this but i will say it again to remind you but i think this is the best Now album of 2012 which is excellent as i always find it's the winter albums that seem to disapoint the most. This is also probably the one of the best Now albums ever and is definetly the best Winter Now album, much better than last winter's Now 80 and winter 2010's Now 77. So if you're into the current chart scene get this album i guarantee you won't be disapointed, Super album!
on 4 December 2012
This is a great album. And I might even consider buying it from Amazon if they sort out their tax position and starting paying their fair share of tax in the UK. Come on Amazon - get your act together.
on 23 November 2012
Brilliant! A well chosen selection of tracks, plenty of number 1s as well as those there or there abouts. A few notable exceptions too, but I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere!

Great value as always with the 'now' albums, and a worthy stocking filler (or more) for Christmas!

I give this album a solid 5 stars.
on 19 November 2012
Amazingly, this has no less than 12 number one hits on it, and 30+ other tracks that hit the charts.

The makers have done a pretty good job with this. The large majority of what you would expect to see, is included on the play list.

So, the issue is this, if you are a fan of the current music scene, this is an absolute must have. As we near to a certain time of the year, this makes a perfect gift for someone else who is into the current chart scene.
on 13 February 2013
This was a Christmas present from the tree/Santa to the whole family. My daughters and myself love this album. Great content and to the minute singles. Love the Now series for providing a mix of music on one disc.

There will inevitable be one or may be two which you aren't sure of but you don't often get an a Now Album where you only like one or two.

Prefer getting these than albums of individual artists.