on 16 September 2017
I hadn't read any of Tom Rob Smith's books before this one so had no expectations. Having started and given up on two or three books lately which I just didn't seem to get into, this one in contrast had me intrigued right from the start. I'm not a fast reader but I devoured The Farm in about 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. A very welcome change from the run-of-the-mill thriller and I've got my reading mojo back!
on 10 January 2018
A very strange book. The premise is great - Mark receives a phone call from his father who lives in Sweden with his mother, claiming that his mum has gone mad and needs to be sectioned. His mother, hours later - turns up in England with her own version of events.

In all honesty, I found most of this extremely confusing and quite slow. I wasn’t gripped nor particularly interested and I found a lot of this simply hard work to get through.
on 12 August 2017
I really struggled to finish this book. Such a weird story and I wouldn't describe it as a thriller but more of a Sunday afternoon mystery. I couldn't identify with the main character Tilde. In fact I didn't like her at all and found her annoying. Disappointed with this book as it had such a good write up.
on 31 August 2017
My only experience of Tom Rob Smith was the original Child 44 and tried this as on offer on the Kindle edition. On the positive side I was intrigued to read to the end to find out what happened, but I felt overall disappointed when I got there. I found the writing style annoying and the dialogue didn't feel unnatural. The premise of the story is convoluted but worst is the unsatisfying ending. Are we supposed to be happy, sador shocked? To be honest it reads like a book that's been rushed out, not a serious attempt at a compelling thriller.
on 2 January 2018
I wasn't sure how much I was enjoying this book at first. I was definitely intrigued, but in a slightly uncomfortable way. But as the story unwound it drew me in more and more and by the time I hit the final act I was totally hooked. Highly recommended. I'll be picking up Child 44 very soon!
on 10 August 2017
Having read Child 44, The Secret Speech and Agent Six I was looking forward to reading this work. I also read a lot of the reviews, but obviously not enough of the one star reviews. If I had maybe I wouldn't have wasted time and money on this. It was a labour to work through this book, but I pressed on because I kept waiting for something, anything, to happen. It didn't. There's a few hours I won't get back.
on 22 August 2017
This was beautifully written, evoking the stark landscape of rural Sweden and echoing it in the behaviour of the characters. A mystery story with at least two major twists, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
on 7 September 2017
Have enjoyed Rob Smith's earlier work but thought this was a very poor and confusing novel. Did not see the point to it at all. Really weak narrative with awfully weak characters. Don't waste your time or money.
on 24 August 2017
I was not familiar with the authors work but wanted to 'try' him out. Though well wrought I found the work convoluted for the sake of mystery, and I couldn't easily identify with the main characters.
on 25 September 2017
I should have stuck at Child 44. But then, so should he. Read the story elsewhere a number of times told much more compellingly.