on 7 December 2012
This is an excellent laptop by Acer.

We've had a 17" screen Toshiba Equium P200 since 2007, running Vista. We've mainly used it for the net, movies and Microsoft Office type tasks. It's started failing us in the last year, though, including not being able to handle HD movies, so it was time to upgrade. We wanted something which could do all the same tasks, but obviously better, while also being lighter, more compact and of a reasonable price (£600 max).

Having been out of the laptop buying scene for 5 years, we got started in PC World. I'd heard that Windows 8 was designed to work best with touchscreens, but I hadn't heard of a touchscreen laptop until we saw a couple in the store. However, there was only about three different types to look at and they were either too small, too expensive or both. To be honest, I was surprised, with the recent launch of Windows 8 and with the run-up to Christmas upon us, that manufacturers hadn't rushed out a greater range of touchscreen models. Why invest in something running a touch-orientated operating system if it doesn't have the features to take full advantage of it? In fact, I've read in a few places that Windows 8 is only an improvement over Windows 7 if you do have a touchscreen.

So we got on the net and the only machine out there right now with a 15.6" touchscreen, as well as all the other usual features you'd want for home use (i3 or i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD etc), and all at an affordable price, is this Acer. We didn't have any experience of Acer before and I'd always just thought they were a low-end budget brand, so we weren't sure initially whether it would be a wise buy. But we did some research, read other reviews and took the risk.

Well, we've had it a week now and we're not disappointed. In fact, we're delighted with it. It's a nice looking machine in matt silver. Nothing fancy, but nothing to be ashamed of either. Compared with our Toshiba, it's also very slim and light. With battery attached, it weighs in at about 2.4kg, which is about a kilo lighter than the old brick. We also like that the battery is easily detachable from the back. That means you could choose to only attach it when you need to be mobile (which would also increase its lifespan), or you could also buy a second battery to carry with you as a backup; which might be sensible if you're mobile a lot, as the battery only lasts about 3.5 hours. That's fine for our needs, but won't be for everyone.

Booting the thing up is fast, though that's largely due to Windows 8 improvements. It's also been easily capable enough of running everything we've thrown at it so far. A couple of reviews mention about screen resolution and brightness. I can see that the screen could be a bit brighter and more vivid, but I don't find myself wishing that it was. It's a nice screen and works fine. I also think the resolution's fine. Everything's crisp and clear. The backlit keyboard's a really nice touch and seems often only found on more expensive models. You can also turn the backlighting on and off easily.

The laptop has good connectivity, with a USB 3.0 port, HDMI and all the usual suspects. It also has a DVD-RW drive, which is not a given any more, especially with a machine this slim. And the touchpad works fine. Probably not the best out there, but it does everything it's told, once you get used to its sensitivity.

Which finally brings me to the touchscreen. We love it. We don't use it all the time, but we do use it a lot because of the way Windows 8 is set up. And because it's fun! It just makes the machine that much easier to interact with and it's particularly good for multimedia purposes and games. All the apps coming out for Windows 8 are designed for touch interaction and, though you can access most of that functionality through a good touchpad, it's still not the same. I'd be surprised if most laptops are not touchscreen within a year.

And as for tired arms? It's a factor. I find it's easier to use touch interaction when the laptop's on a desk/table, because then the table supports your elbows. When it's on your lap, there's obviously more chance of fatigue. But it also depends on what you're doing. Most tasks with a mouse don't involve constant mouse use and neither do you find you're always touching the screen. For more intensive interactive activities, fatigue might start setting in, but then for that you'd be best being sat at a desk or finding some other way of interacting with it. Once you get used to the feature being there, though, you will use it. Even just after a week, I'm already finding it a bit frustrating to sit back down to the old Toshiba and to not be able to interact with it more directly.

So, if you're looking for a good all-rounder laptop at a very reasonable price, I'd look no further. Well done Acer, you're ahead of the game right now.
on 1 November 2012
Acer V5-571PG

Had the laptop nearly 24hours and have to say extremely impressed by it. Well Done Acer.

Don't be put off by the cheap price tag compared to similar spec models from other manufacturers.

Had a very surprising experience when powering up as the laptop comes with a BACKLIT KEYBOARD which wasn't described on Amazons website.

Seems to have good battery life, not too heavy in hand, and reasonable build quality. Speed and the stay cool feature of the laptop is second to none. Touch screen is an excellent option as most things seem to be going that way these days, just a natural reaction to touch the screen as with phones tablets etc

Windows 8 is new and exciting but takes a little getting used to compared to previous windows versions, but again compliments the touchscreen capabilities. (Would suggest watching youtube videos, tutorials etc first)

No Negatives at present.

HOWEVER I DO HOPE THAT AMAZON.CO.UK GIVES YOU A BETTER EXPERIENCE THAN I ENCOUNTERED WITH DISPATCH AND DELIVERY TIMES. FEEL VERY LET DOWN BY THEM.
88 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
Although I've already made a complaint to Amazon about their courier service, I certainly can't complain about the lovely laptop that was delivered. I had researched the Acer V5 touch online and seen a product demo in John Lewis, and I decided that the features included for the price (£469) made it a good deal. I've also purchased the Windows 8 for Dummies book so I know where I'm at with the new system.
The touch screen takes some getting used to when you're used to Windows 7 point and click, but I find it a good innovation, as it keeps my hands and wrists mobile and stops me getting stuck in one position, as with a touchpad. I like the backlit keyboard and auto-correction option, also as this is a replacement for an HP G70, it's a lot lighter and easier on my knees, and the crystal clear screen gives my eyes a rest - the brightness is easily adjusted from the swipe-in side menu.
As Windows 8 is a lot different to W7, I can't really comment on the OS until I've learned to use it properly!
I would certainly recommend this model to anyone looking to step up to touch-screen tech though.
Acer Aspire V5-571P 15.6-inch Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i3 2365M 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit)
on 4 December 2012
This is my first review ever on a product, so excuse me if it's a tad jumbled or jumps from subject to subject.
This is a pretty nice computer. Touch screen works great... when I use it. Constantly reaching to the screen instead of using a mouse gets tiring after a while.
I love it. Great backlit keyboard, love touchscreen, and I've fallen in love with Windows 8... it's perfect for touch. Overall, I think the V5 is an excellent machine in terms of price, performance, and features.
on 27 December 2012
First touch device I have owned, lovely item very high quality and value for the money. Picked the system up fairly quickly.
on 6 November 2013
laptop as described on web side. Loving backlit keyboard and touch screen option :). USB ports seems to be a bit loose but that's because it's very thin I think, it doesn't bother me really, they are in working order that's important. A bit frustrating for a first 2 days as I have never worked on windows 8 before but as days passing by I start loving it!! I'm pleased I have chosen touch screen and if you can not decide if you gonna use it or not I'm using it very often so go for it you will not regret :D
on 1 April 2013
I bought this for our ladies Section of the golf club & we are delighted with it. The touchscreen alows us to enter our scores easily.
It is simple to use.
on 10 November 2013
I have had it for about a Month now and I have no complaints, satisfied costumer. It arrived quickly and the laptop itself is in great quality. I don't regret a single penny I spent and honestly I didn't even spend that much money.
on 10 April 2013
Was pleasantly surprised by this lap top it looks great It works beautifully and I am happy I chose this one.
on 14 January 2013
As someone who doesn't know a lot about computers I left it to my son to choose a laptop that would suit my needs. I hadn't thought of a touch screen but he convinced me that I would love the idea once I'd tried it. He was right!! It was easy to set up and connect to the internet.It's light and portable and i'm certainly enjoying using it, particularly the built in webcam so that I can Skype.