on 7 October 2013
Its large size and easy clean (actually it doesn't need cleaning) nature makes it a superb addition to my baking arsenal.

To prepare it for use I just heated it up on top of the AGA and then coated it liberally with olive oil. When baked the loaf just dropped out (when I turned the tin upside down - in case you were wondering) more easily than with any other tin I have owned.

Highly recommended - and don't worry if the loaf doesn't reach the top when it proves - it is still a fantastic loaf.

Later edit : How much dough to put in? Well this works for me as I always use a multiple of a 1 and a half kilo bag which gives about 2,600 gms of dough. I use 880 gms for a 2 lb loaf tin and then put the rest into this tin. i.e. about 1720 gms which gives

A) a loaf which just pokes its head above the top when proved ( a good test as to whether you have let it rise long enough)
B) a loaf weighing 1,672 gms when it has cooled - i.e. double the size of the standard loaf and absolutely fabulous for making sandwiches.
on 2 June 2017
I bought this as my 2lb loaf was going over the top of my smaller tin.
I use olive oil to allow the tin to release the bread and I NEVER wash them. It's an old bakers trick.
Great sandwich sized loaf tin which should last forever if used and stored correctly.
on 16 June 2013
Produces the best bread I've ever made. Worth every penny.
Really strong and feels like it will last a lifetime.
on 6 March 2017
aVERAGE, i WOULDN'T SAY THIS IS HEAVY DUTY, MORE LIGHT TO MEDIUM.
on 17 June 2017
wow its massive this loaf tin. highly recommended
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 October 2014
Great tin well made very strong made in Britain well worth buying
on 12 July 2014
Good and works, not as thick material as the tins lost when I moved house, but does the job
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 April 2013
I've recently rediscovered the joy of home bread baking and found this whopper after a recommendation in another review.

Those big loaves I carried back from the village baker, nibbling at the crust through the white tissue on the way home, need an old time tin to rise securely and evenly.

Little tins have their place but if you want to make a safe sandwich loaf with a lovely even dome then give it room to grow and rise within the proper confines of a professional tin.

No need to wash this one up, just wipe it and stow it, patina will eventually build, a lick around with some butter or olive oil will ensure the perfectly baked loaf will pop out without sticking.

It doesn't matter if you don't use the full 4lb, a reasonable amount of dough will give great results because of the size. No more boiling over or funny ear like shapes flowing over the edges!
on 24 November 2014
This is a good quality, heavy weight tin. I deliberated for ages before ordering as I was worried that it may be far too big for my needs and it was difficult to work out the size of loaf it would be suitable for. Some reviews stated approx weight for a finished baked loaf. I wanted to judge by the amount of flour used in the recipe. For anyone else who would find this useful perhaps the following info may be of some help. I have made loaves which use 450 gms of flour, right up to 600 gms of flour and all of these have turned out beautiful loaves from this tin. The loaf with 450 gms of flour rose sufficiently to give a good shaped loaf and did not look as if it was too wide for its height. Recipes using 500 and 600 gms of flour came to the rim or shoulders of the tin and domed nicely above this as they rose in the oven, resulting in beautifully shaped loaves. No mushroom shaped, overhanging tops that I always got using the same recipies in my heavy duty, 2lb Prestige loaf tins which obviously were not deep enough. I purchased two of these tins at the outset and can make two loaves side by side in my ordinary,
built-in oven which is not very big. If I only need one loaf, I use the CONVECTION SETTING in my preheated, combination microwave oven and bake at 180°C for 40 minutes, but set on a piece of tin foil when the top has browned sufficiently, usually after about 20 minutes and this turns out a perfect loaf every time. NOTE, not every microwave may be tall enough inside to do this. The empty tin placed inside my microwave oven has 3 inches (8 cms) clear between it and the interior roof. If trying this, use a smaller recipe first, eg a recipe using 450-500 gms of flour.
LINING AND GREASING ETC: I greased the inside of the tin and lined with ordinary greaseproof paper as suggested. (Formed the lining by folding paper over the outside of the upturned tin.) Loaves dropped out beautifully. The lining reused 2 more times. Tin did not even need wiped. Removed the lining for next loaf, lightly greased the tin and baked the next loaf without lining. Loaf dropped out easily from the tin, straight from the oven. Tin only required a wipe out with a piece of dampened kitchen roll. I am really pleased with these tins and happy to recommend them.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2013
The pan is huge and made from thick, strong materials that will last a lifetime. I have made my best-ever loaves in it.

Don't be put off by its size because it gives smaller amounts of dough enough space to expand fully. At first I used a basic 450gm of Canadian strong wholemeal flour with quick yeast and got superb bread. 600gm of flour makes a proper large loaf that domes beautifully on top, with none of the 'bunny ears' that result from using small tins.

The instructions are to use a liner at first until a patina builds up inside the tin. I just put a sheet of non-stick baking parchment inside it, folded roughly into the corners. This lasts three or four loaves and lets the tin get the enviable patina inside.
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse