Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2013
Can't say whether this is truly "definitive", I only know there are 75 songs sensibly packaged at a very attractive price and I love 'em all! Tone is great all the way through the three discs and I particularly like the fact that each song has a recording date - not "published", not "copyright" but actually sung and recorded; to my mind having a recording date helps to place the artist on the overall musical time line (1946-61) and we can see how they slot into contemporary history. I would have liked details of the various bands too but I can live without it for this price!
on 12 May 2017
The "Divine One" is in my top three female vocalists of all-time, hence bulging collections of her back catalogue even for a song or two that I don't have or never heard .Her rendition of "Tenderly" does it for me anytime,out-of-this-world as vividly remember where and what I was doing at the time-rambling thru an ancient forest.Her trembling beautiful phrasing on this track always send goosebumps all over body and soul.The best ever rendition in my opinion.Majestic
on 8 May 2014
If this is your kind of music this is a terrific collection, well recorded lovely quality. Sarah Vaughan at her best.
on 9 May 2017
Brilliant, I'd only heard a little of her music and with this 3 pack of CDs I suddenly had all I wanted. Can't fault the pack really (I've been enjoying it), so 5 stars, but Lullaby of Birdland should have been somewhere on the track list! Guess that's what youtube is for tho.
on 29 April 2017
Tunes for those in the know
on 6 August 2017
Sarah Vaughan is one of my dad's favourite artist and requested the CD for his birthday which he loves and is well pleased with it.
on 28 May 2017
"T H E" LADY!!!!!
on 2 August 2015
The Definitive Collection – Sarah Vaughan
*****
I first came across Sarah Vaughan when I got into ‘The Great American Songbook.’ I loved her version of ‘Stormy Weather,’ every bit the equal of Billy Holiday’s version, which for me is the best of the lot.
She is always being compared with two other female, iconic, black American singers – Holiday and Fitzgerald – they were all born within 11 years of each other! I have listened to Billy Holiday’s ‘best of’ and those of Ella Fitzgerald too.
On listening to this collection of songs it was clear that she deserves a status as an equal to the above pairing. I took to her voice and style immediately.
There are many great songs on here and she clearly loved Gershwin best of all as his songs figure heavily on these 3 discs, which cover a bumper 75 tracks and 3 hours of easy listening!
I could list my favourites but there’s so many outstanding standards on here that it would be a bit futile to be honest.

As mentioned previously, and I endorse this, the packaging is very nice, with just enough info to keep one satisfied. More importantly the voice and orchestrations are of a very high calibre and so the music sounds superb.
I’m keeping one disc in the car, one in my computer and the other in the music centre in the lounge - and I think that just about says it all!
This Definitive Collection features a wide selection of Sarah Vaughan's most iconic recordings including songs such as 'S'Wonderful', 'Have You Met Miss Jones?', 'Broken-Hearted Melody', 'Summertime', 'Body And Soul' and not forgetting `Passing Strangers' with Billy Eckstine and many more. All 75 tracks have been digitally remastered for optimum listening. The periods covered by these discs are CD1 1954 to 1961; CD2 1947 to 1961 & CD3 1946 to 1961. The running time is an amazing 220 minutes. The sound transfers are excellent throughout and this is a collection that lives up to its title. Interesting liner notes from Joseph Adair. As a run through the popular songbook of the 20th century this 3 CD set demonstrates just how many fine compositions have still got that all important `class' and the combination of Sarah Vaughan and the songbook is a real winner hands down.
on 11 March 2013
This is the best of her compilation cds of which I'm aware. Most of the tracks relate to the '50s and'60s and hence are of a better quality thamn her earlier works

Geof M