Format: Audio CD|Change

I have quite a few of these Classic FM albums and find them to be ideal for when I'm driving in the car are doing things around the house. They are also great CDs to put on the bedroom CD player when you're trying to get to sleep. I suppose you could ask what is the point of buying them when you could just put the radio on, but they're still nice to have and usually add some tracks to my collection which I really want to own. They also make a perfect gift of course.

This CD is definitely at the pop end of the market and features some familiar material from both radio and television (even Downton Abbey gets an airing here!.

Its nice to hear Mylene Klass playing the piano and she makes a good job of Sarabande although its a bit of a jazzed-up version. Hayley Westernra's Benedictus (from The Armed Man by Karl Jenkins) is a more traditional piece of work and the clarity of Hayley's voice shines through this recording.

I could do without André Rieu's rather kitsch treatment of Strauss's Als Flotter Geist, but its well-enough performed. Military Wives' Wherever you Are will be a popular choice of course (deservedly so after their television success) as will Alfie Boe's Bring Him Home.

I love the guitar and orchestra version of Astor Piazolla's Libertango - a classic tango piece which is a delight to listen to. Kark Jenkins Palladio is in a similar genre - very South American sounding but this time closer to home and well played by the Britain's Got Talent electric string quartet Escala.

I could have done without another recording of Nessun Dorma but Pavarotti's version never fails to impress.

Katherine Jenkins is well-represented of course with The Flower Duet, Abide with Me and Time to Say Goodbye.

The second disk offered rather more interest to me with slightly less familiar piano and choral music.

This would make a terrific present for someone who like the Classic FM style of music - more popular than BBC Radio 3 but still a welcome corrective to endless pop music and showing that there are still plenty of younger people who are trying to make classical music relevant to new generations.
on 20 January 2013
Happy New Year to anyone reading this. I bought the album as a Christmas present for my wife, but I will be honest and say it was as much for me. The album is probably this best yet of the annual classical series. The choice of music very well considered with a excellent balance between traditional classic both vocal and orchestral, with the counterpoint of modern classical treatments from Alfie Boe, Aled Jones etc, plus the easy listening of film & television theme adaptations, to the brilliance of Luciano Pavaroti "Nessun Dorma". This one I would happily reccomend.
on 2 January 2014
A gift for my parents, which was well received, apart from the fact my Father wanted to have it in the car for when he drives and my Mother wanted it in the conservatory to relax to. Crisis averted, I have ordered another CD. Worth buying twice.
on 6 November 2013
good choice of songs, and artists, for everybody, easy to listen, as described by the seller, recommended to anybody who likes classical music.
on 17 January 2013
If you wish to keep up to date with the current group singers with a real touch of class this will suit you fine. There are others in the series available. It is a relaxing CD for those quiet evening.
on 26 February 2013
This is the first compilation of this kind that I have purchased and I am delighted with the content. There is a wide repertoire which is suitable for all moods and it includes some of last years hits too. Just one little problem, when I downloaded this on to my tablet, one of the tracks came up with the wrong title - a bit frustrating at first as it was not apparent what the problem was.
on 5 January 2013
This was a present for a friend but I played it over Christmas, excellent. First copy was received damaged but was replaced just in time. Why are C.D. not sealed in cellophane any more, at least you knew you had a brand new copy then?
on 12 April 2013
Bought this for relative who loves it, but with the choice of performers on it, it would be difficult not to like it, wish I had bought it for myself too.
on 14 March 2013
There is lots to enjoy on both discs, some very well known. It is a pleasure to hear operatic voices mixed in with well known singers such as Hayley Westenra and Military wives . There is also work from Vangelis and Mike Oldfield that help to create a really god mix. If uyou have an eclectic taste in music, this should suit you well.
on 25 January 2014
Great album. Originally bought for my Secret Santa present but I was lucky to get the free MP3 download too. This is not normally my type of music, but found it very relaxing. Thanx Amazon for the free downloads otherwise I would never have listed to it.