Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 27 May 2017
Excellent book!!Now read it twice and could read it again right away. So amusing !! great! Recommend !!
on 1 May 2017
prompt delivery, just started to read it. Excellent author
on 25 February 2013
As always with all Helen Forrester books, a fantastic story that keeps you interested to the end, and the disappointment when you actually come to the end, because it leaves you with wanting more.
on 27 February 2015
Not Helen Forrester usual prefer her other books.
on 2 March 2013
I usually read Helen Forrester's books quickly and with great enjoyment but this is very unengaging and difficult to read. I'm glad I bought it when it was on the 12 days of kindle promotion, because full price would have been way too much and as it is I can delete it and pretend it doesn't exist.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 December 2012
A socially adept and enjoyable book.
The Latchkey Kid is set in Canada, in the small town atmosphere of the 1950s. So of course it couldn't happen now, that women prefer to push their men out of town on work, socialise with bitter intent to top every committee, and neglect their children. One such neglected latchkey kid, Hank, who passes the time by writing and chatting to a British woman, writes up a revenge novel and the racy content means it quickly finds a publisher in New York. Then the stage is set for his social-climber mother Olga, daughter of a pig farmer, to find out the hard way who is behind the pseudonym. I enjoyed this more than I'd expected and it was very revealing about the society at that time.
on 12 August 2013
I can't get into this. I much prefer the Liverpool books, probably because I know Liverpool. I can't find anything to relate to in this materialist Canadian society. The author did a good job in showing the unlikeable side of this 50's world, but I couldn't finish the book.
on 9 November 2014
Having read books by this author before, I can only say that this is not the standard of book I expected from her. It is boring to the point the characters almost merge into one. I did take to reading it in bed if I couldn't sleep as I soon got bored and nodded off.
I wouldn't even recommend it to my worse enemy
on 6 September 2001
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this story on my long car journeys. The antics of the society women were a scream (if a little caricatured) and the developing relationship between Hank and Isobel very tenderly done. I did feel however that it was a little incredible that the main characters acquired so much insight into their own motives as time went on! They were so much victims of their various upbringings that it was a little unlikely that they would all develop such objectivity. Nevertheless, I found the storyline quite compelling. I just wish we'd had more of an explanation for Isobel's second marriage which was rather lumped in at the end!
on 5 March 2013
Good read and well written by Helen Forrester. Shame it had such a sudden ending leaving you to draw your own conclusion