on 25 December 2012
I have had this two months now - I got it as an Amazon Warehouse deal (advertised as 'used') so cheaper than advertised here. The PC arrived next day and was unmarked. Everything was present, properly wrapped and I could see no reason why it would be different from the "brand new item". Obviously you need your own operating system but - I have Windows 7 - it is only a case of putting the DVD into the PC, booting up and following instructions. Very simple.

This replaced a Dell 530S Inspiron with Intel Core II processor and 4Gb RAM. For day-to day use (surfing the net, using Microsoft Office, etc.) there is no difference. When it comes to video editing (the reason I bought it) I find it very fast indeed. Where the Inspiron used to go to maximum processor speed with the cooling fan screaming at you and nothing appearing to happen for long enough to make a cup of tea, this performs quietly and efficiently. It takes about 2 minutes to create a 5 minute standard definition DVD; the Inspiron took about 10 minutes.

Other areas it excels - file conversion (particularly video file conversion), opening large numbers of files at once, moving large numbers of files from one location to another on the HDD and the big bonus for me, I can use Windows Media Centre. I have a large amount of MP3 files and a few hundred video files. I used to give up with the Inspiron when updating the library and scrolling through files, it took forever. This machine does it almost instantaneously. Brilliant.

Quality - yes a quality item. A nice black case with shiny black front. Cooling fan is not whisper quiet but equally not too loud and the fan doesn't race when working hard. It has worked without hitch since day one and continues to do so. The Intel HD Graphics card is sufficient for my needs but you could upgrade this easily if you wanted. I hope this PC is future-proof for some years to come - it's starting off from a good base line!
33 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2013
The product arrived in good time, as stated for the expected delivery date.
The build of the product itself was lightweight and really well built.
The packaging the PC came in ensured that the product would not shift around during transit and it was secure.
Impressions on powering up the PC for the first time; installing my own OS (this is stated on the description anyways, no OS, but it was no problem) it was fast and easy for the experience of installing the operating software.
Finally, the specifications of the PC for the value was extremely worth it.
I'm just throwing this out there, but Zoostorm, if you feel you would like to send me a second Desktop PC for free, that would be excellent :)
Overall, I would absolutely recommend this product. I would purchase another one in the future. Possibly a second PC dedicated for video and music editing.

Nice job Zoostorm :)
on 28 June 2013
Out of the box and working so thanks for that. I also had no problem putting down Windows and then using the supplied drivers to get all of the peripherals up and running. I then added Virtual Box from Oracle to provide some Virtual Machines such as XP, Ubuntu etc (all of which this PC was able to handle).

The only problem I did have was using the USB ports on the front. The problem was that when I plugged anything into the USB ports the device would stop instantly. I opened it up and found that the pins on the back of the circuit board holding the USB ports would touch back onto the metal of the case when plugging in.

This was simply fixed by taking off the side covers and then the front and then releasing the USB ports using the single screw. Insulation tape was then applied across the pins and then the whole thing reassembled. Hey presto no USB problems.

Overall though I do not feel that this can distract from the value for money.
on 17 February 2013
As an IT professional I wanted a PC powerful enough for database development, but at a reasonable cost. This Zoostorm unit fits the bill well; plenty of memory and a very respectable 4 core i5 processor. However, out of the box it was ridiculously loud - I'm talking fan-heater levels of noise.

I considered changing the processor fan, but on inspection it turned out the PC was already fitted with a semi decent Akasa unit. The problem was that it had been configured to run at full speed regardless of processor temperature. This was quite easily fixed by changing the bios settings; you dont need to load speedfan as other reviewers have suggested. This improved things greatly, but the power supply was still too noisy for my liking, so I swapped in an old Antec unit and now the PC is nearly silent at idle.

I've fitted an SSD for the system drive, and loaded Windows 7 - now the unit is fast, stable and quiet. This a good PC and great value for money, but the problem with the fan (even though fixed at no cost) and the noisy power supply lose it a star.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 January 2013
Bought for my son for Xmas to run music production software which is comprised of very large file sizes. I bought from ebuyer where it was cheaper. Very fast pc but be warned if you buy this, it took us ages to install the operating system as will not load anything less than Windows 7. Our XP and Vista was no use and we had to buy a full copy of Win 7. Once operating system on the pc, this thing flies. Our version had 2 more usb ports than this description so son is doubly happy.
on 1 August 2013
Arrived quick as promised ;)

Server is as one would expect at this price - sturdy enough for requirements
The tech inside is most important part!

I had read many reviews both at Amazon and E****.com that tended to infer noisy fan, bad disk drive, difficult OS install etc

I can only confirm my experience within day of receipt which was :

- No issues with fans! Very quiet as far as I can tell
- No issues with OS install - put disk in drive and follow instructions
- Disk Drive is fine - After 15 years of Pc's Ive had far worse!

So at end of day 1 - Win 7 Ultimate installed fine, all drivers did likewise with CD supplied, no issues at all experienced

I installed Handbrake to quickly see how video converting differs from my old rig (P4 dual core/2 Gig mem)
where it took hours - now we are talking within 20 mins for bog standard mp4

Very happy so far - lets hope it continues!
on 8 March 2013
I have this pc about a week now and I finally have installed all my video and audio software. It really is fast to process and boot up.
Keyboard and mouse are sufficient if somewhat cheap feeling. I upgraded from a dell dimension 9200 to this and Im very happy so far. I just bought a corsair psu to replace the stock one as it's far to noisy for recording audio. I will come back and finish review when i install psu.
All in all this is 3 to 400 euro cheaper than anything i could find anywhere else and with amazon they are brilliant.
I also had to switch the cpu fan cable to a different place on motherboard so i could control it from bios. It's set to 100 percent on and again it's very noisy.Switched it to 50 percent and fan noise is barely audible.

last point.... Only one pci express slot available , no firewire ( there is a small pci 1 available for connection of firewire card , optional)
on 3 December 2013
Downgrading rating to 3 stars. After nine months the psu has died. Hardly surprising as it's only 250 watts (it was advertised as 300 watts).

If you do get this upgrade the psu to 500 watts as a minimums sap (especially if adding extra drives etc). It'll only cost 50gbp for the psu and is essentially if you want to expand the system in any way.

Original review - Excellent value for money. Installed Windows 8 and my own SSD from an old system. System is as quick as any "office" system should have any right to be. No issues at all with the fan, if you're bothered simple change the fan speed in the BIOS settings. Nice clean micro ATX motherboard. At little tight for any significant upgrades but you will be able to add a couple of hard drives and a stand alone graphics card if needed. Very impressed.
on 13 June 2014
Build quality and components used where what I expected for a budget system, however if you do have a problem the customer support from Zoostorm makes you jump through hopes to actually get anything resolved. They have a charging scheme for failed collection and returns, further charges if they don’t find a fault and insist on email verification for their additional costs and charges.
Collections and Delivery are limited and the support team do not actually answer an email without an automated pre-population email response.

When they did finally replace the board, they sent the desktop back damage and passed any blame to the courier even thou the external packaging was undamaged.

An ok system but God helps you if there is ever a problem.....
on 26 March 2013
So far so good.
Although a sight faster than my previous computer it still has a tendency to slow slightly when handling complex files.
For the price very good value and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it for everyday use.