on 26 November 2012
FOR USE WITH HEADPHONES

GYBE will never be mainstream & many will dismiss without giving this, or any of the previous work a fair listen....this is not background music nor something you could dip in / out of casually, it needs to be absorbed. GYBE scream to be heard via headphones, with no distractions the listener can dissolve into the soundscape & really appreciate whats on offer.
A fine return to form after too long away & an album that keeps on giving with every listen..
on 20 October 2012
this is storming, the opening track is immense. I had to a have a lie down half way thru. I love mogwai, sigur rus, explosions in the sky even sunn o))) this lp really throws down a musical gauntlet that I think all these great bands will struggle to pick up. it's not for the faint hearted and you won't hear it in bookshops or these new fangle coffee bars, but alone, in the dark with the headphones........................
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 8 November 2012
Not really background music either, it needs a proper listen. I have to listen to the tracks individually, for the most part, or it can get too much and shock & awes you. I really like it; intense and with it's own identity. Kinda clears the airways and allows you to start breathing in other more familiar/mainstream music in a different light again. The Fall do this for me too, but in a different way.
on 11 February 2015
As I already owned their previous albums, it was inevitable that I would purchase this album. This is another brilliant piece of work by my favourite band. As a 63 year old, I find it impossible to persuade my friends and family to give them a try. You have to persevere and give it several listens before you realise the sheer beauty of the compositions. Although designated as "post rock", I prefer to call it "symphonic rock", but in essence, it is just wonderful music.
on 14 May 2015
Superb. My favourite band at the moment, and I know I'm late to the party, having only recently discovered GY!BE, but better late than never, bloodfam.
on 26 November 2012
If you like very interesting and challenging listening that requires your engagement with the sounds offered aurally then this is for you! If you like easy access, pop, or are confused by de-constructed music, then give it a miss! Really rewarding. Needs a couple of listens to get to grips with the complex structures. This is never boring or predictable! Not really one for the car! I'll be looking out for more of their recordings from now on.
on 22 October 2015
Bought to replace older formats of the same album in my collection - it was always going to get 5 stars!!
on 24 April 2013
It's a long time coming, and it's worth the wait.

My initial reaction of 'oh great, two drone pieces' was stumped by actually hearing the work. Listen as an album - strong, powerful and somewhat trademark GY!BE pieces bookended perfectly by textural sound. Really, a fantastic listen.
on 8 October 2016
Excellent
on 25 November 2012
I didn't notice that this had appeared for about 3 weeks. I wondered if Godspeed were not coming back. Although SMZ are brill too. Same sort of thing as before, so if you didn't like "Raise Your Skinny Fists" then you won't like this. There are two long tracks, and two shorter ones. My fave is "We drifted like worried fire".