on 27 October 2014
Bought this because i recently bought a new laptop, that does not have a CD drive. I haven't tried burning anything onto disks, as this is not something i would usually do. I have however played the sims 2 and 3 using this drive, and no troubles have been met, yet! this is great value for money, makes very minimal noise (nothing more than you'd expect from a drive within a desktop computer) and is very compact, no bigger than the disk itself.

The drive comes with two cables, as my laptop has 4 USB slots i have no trouble using both cables. Im not totally sure why there is two, the instructions that come with the drive do not make much sense, if you are buying an external hard-drive i guess we should just assume you know what you need to do with it!
on 7 September 2014
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 and the internal CD drive finally gave up. Not unreasonable I guess- the laptop is 5 years old and I've uploaded in excess of 500 CDs onto iTunes since I've had it.

Anyway, I ummed and ahhed about buying this- the reviews posted here are varied but seemed good on the whole and the £14 asking price here would have been cheaper than getting the drive replaced on the laptop, so I took the plunge. It has a 12 month guarantee so if it stops working I'm sure Amazon will honour a replacement.

So, I plugged the drive in, it was immediately recognised and all seems fine. The first CD I put in was uploaded quicker than with the standard CD drive and I'm very pleased.

I've yet to burn an actual CD, play a DVD or tried using with just one of the leads, but will post another update to this review once I've tried that.

So, it works for me. Seems like a bit of a bargain- so far!
on 5 November 2013
I gave this five stars because it is a great piece of kit. I have played cd's, dvd's, cd ROM's and burnt cd's as well and it hasn't let me down once. I would definately recommend this drive, and for the price, you can't go wrong.
on 7 May 2014
As my DVD CD R/RW broke down in my computer itself. I purchased this item to keep me using the same computer that I have ( a touch screen ) This Drive is ideal for the use, your old one gave you, if not better, Highly Recommended. 5 Stars
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2014
I had just purchased a small 10" notebook (which is great but it has no disc drive). I know you can download many programs these days but I do prefer to use the disc wherever possible as when I download things from the web I always seem to get lots of add on etc. or pick up a malware.
When I saw this for the price I just had to have it - I am sure it has already saved me it's price already, as I have a TP Link USB wireless adapter which I used in my big laptop (before it decided to die & I got this smaller & cheaper one which is perfect for caravanning), but it comes with a disc which Ineeded to use .
I am sure it will be used much more too over the next year or so.
I ordered it on the Friday and it was delivered on Monday.
on 18 October 2014
Absolutely amazing... I has previously brought some other DVD player external USB devise claiming to do everything this one does but it completely failed to i had to return it... So as anyone would, i felt anxious to buy another so i did a little research and i though this was the correct one for me... i have both a Windows 7 and 8.1 laptop and it works for both...

If you have a Windows 8 laptop you will need to get some sort of software to watch DVD's i recommend VCL media player to watch with this you must...
1) open up VCL media player
2) press 'media'
3)go down and select 'open disc'
4)it should say the disc in the drive then press 'play' at the bottom

It comes with 2 leads you will probably only need one so it will only take up 1 USB port

it works in iTunes and everything like that as well.. i does every thing it says it does

HOWEVER: IT IS NOT WHITE! if you look at some of the other pictures it is black and that is the colour you will get!

Delivery: was super quick came in 2 days much faster than expected (8 days)
I really recommend buying
on 16 February 2014
After the original order being lost by royal mail, finally received the dvd cd r/rw. Does exactly as it says on the box. Very pleased. Extremely impressed with ATekCity, the company that supplied the item. Even though R.Mail lost it, ATekCity supplied a replacement as soon as it was confirmed lost. Very proffessional and helpful.
on 8 May 2014
Cheap and cheerful but surprisingly sturdy at that price range. Works straight out of the box. No need for the supplied power cable in my case. USB cable is a little short if used with a PC but perfect for a laptop/notebook. I burned many hundreds of photos onto discs for a friend and no failed discs when burning.
on 22 July 2015
For a unit so cheap there has to be a catch - and there are several. The door is very fragile. It has no independent power supply and needs TWO of your computer's USB sockets - one just for power. It only burns CDs not DVDs (though it can read them). Finally I found it didn't work with my NTI burner software! All that said, for the price it's okay and it works. There's plenty of downloadable freeware that WILL work it, I can get round the USB problem with other ports or using the finger pad instead of the mouse. I only wanted it specifically to burn CD's anyway. Treat the door gently and that too won't be a problem. It does what I wanted it to do for an excellent value price, so I will live with its shortcomings.
on 30 March 2016
1) Product Failed to work.
2) Driver minidisk Info in Chinese
3) Driver minidisk loaded lots of unwanted adware -difficult to remove
4) Suspect its a factory reject
5) Vendor should be investigated and product taken off market
6) Vendor should be banned from Amazon.