on 22 January 2016
Like the two other reviewers, I loved this performance of La Perichole from the vinyl highlights version I listened to in my childhood in the fifties, and I was surprised and delighted to find that after all these years I could get the full version on CD. I also agree with the others that the sound quality is terrible, but it is worth it just to be able to listen to the late lamented Cyril Ritchard again: What a man! What a voice! I could hardly resist it!
on 3 November 2013
This is a recording of an actual performance and the audio quality is poor. I'm very disappointed because I bought an LP disc of a studio performance of this about sixty years ago which was wonderful. This disc was played so often that the track was almost worn through. I've been hoping for a re-issue for years.
This does have the advantage of being a full recording as opposed to the highlights on the LP, but the audio quality is so poor that it is not worth listening to.
What a pity! There isn't a good DVD version of the opera either.
If any record company has the original master of the LP and can issue it on CD I'd certainly buy it.
on 4 November 2014
The production is as wonderful as I remember from the 50's when I was a child and loved Cyril Ritchard. I have the LP, which shows how much I loved it: terribly worn. I was pleased when I saw this available. I would have given it 5 stars but for the fact that the fidelity is not as good as I would have wished. Still, I am very happy with the CD.