on 20 August 2016
Ok book. Love Davib Mitchell but book got a bit tedious after startjng well
on 22 December 2014
Very interesting and readable book written from a slightly unusual angle.
on 16 April 2016
Exactly what I expected and wanted from the ever brilliant Mr. Mitchell.
on 18 December 2012
I cannot explain how much I love this book. I travel a lot for work so I bought the audio version to listen to in the car. Mitchell reads it himself which adds another personal layer to the story.

This book is laugh out loud funny, which is more than I expected from the author. But also, unexpectedly, it made me cry (see the penultimate chapter). David is witty, a smart arse and self deprecating. But he is also beautifully human in a way I had not expected.

A perfect ten.
on 21 September 2016
Writes how he speaks. You can really imagine him reading it to you.
on 14 September 2016
Entertaining and quite funny. A good read but not a great one.
on 2 February 2013
i absolutely love david mitchell in pretty much every thing he does
and while the book started off quite well it was meandering+boring for large swathes of it.

in the end what came across most of all about mitchell is that he is rather smug+arrogant,maybe its just me but while obviously he was going to talk about cambridge+all his success one would prefer it was delivered in a more self depricating manner
on 14 January 2013
I am still reading this and I can't quite decide if he is modest and naive, or clever and conceited . Interesting read, and fairly well written, pity about all the swear words and lewd language. Seems like the little boy saying 'Look, I know these words now, I need to tell you how I can use them, and what I have done.' Not very mature really, or perhaps I'm not his target audience. Far too old!!
on 27 March 2013
I was given this as a birthday present (or strictly a token to buy it for my Kindle). I very much enjoyed it. You can hear David Mitchell's voice clearly. It made me laugh out loud (I don't often laugh at "funny" books) in places - though it's not funny all the way. Although I read quite a few biographies I don't usually find them quite such an "unputdownable" read as this.
on 17 March 2013
If you know anything of David and his work, then you'll know what to expect here pretty much, with a bit more sentimentality thrown in. It's set up as a literal and metaphorical trip through London, and it works well as we accompany David through a memorable journey.
I would really like David to write some fiction stories, I think they would work very well.