on 28 March 2015
Everything has pretty much already been said about this device so I'll just add my main brief comments-

Good bits:
*Fantastic bit of tech, high quality HD picture
*Very easy to set-up and use
*Programme recording made so simple even a poorly-trained chimp could do it

Not so good bits:
*Sluggish boot-up (switch-on) (~45 seconds)
*Menu can occasionally lock-up on boot from time to time, necessitating unplugging from the mains
*Doesn't look or feel very upmarket (unlike my Sony it replaces)
*When scrolling through the menu, programme details aren't displayed...you have to press an info button to what the programme is about
*Good remote but could be better ergonomically
***UPDATE 11/8/15***
I have reduced my star rating from 4 to 3 because of the machine's tendency to suddenly decide to stop recording a series. I also find navigating through the recordings menu irritating and cumbersome
on 8 March 2017
Plugged the HUMAX in yesterday. This model has the most lumbering Operating System, it has the habit of freezing up after if you navigate via the menu to internet services. The only remedy when this happens is to turn it on and off again. I feel like I am a character in 'The IT Crowd'. Tried to update it (via the internet)...apparently my unit has the most up to date OS! Not good.
on 21 May 2017
Finally kicked Sky into touch and bought this. Its a perfect replacement for the Sky + box with plenty of added extras. I've had a Freesat box before and was very disappointed by the performance especially the sluggish program guide. Humax have improved things by introducing the Freetime interface which looks and feels very user friendly The only minor criticism is the noisy clicky remote hence the 4 stars. I swapped it for a universal one. All in all I've no hesitation in recommending the Humax
on 22 April 2017
Does very thing that a sky box does but better. OK you don't get all those premium channels but the cost saving is well worth it.
on 11 April 2017
Good product, we found it very easy to use, it does take a few minutes to boot up, but once you are used to this it is fine.
on 25 May 2017
AAA+++
on 15 April 2017
Purchased after cancelling Sky subscription to replace Sky + functions, very pleased with it, should have done it years ago
on 7 May 2014
Really pleased saves on sky packages and does alot more. It does freeze if you press buttons too quickly so have to turn off then on. I love how it shows the recordings and only shows what you can watch so there is no confusion.
on 9 April 2014
18 months ago I dumped Sky+HD and moved to a Freesat Echostar twin tuner 500gb recorder. I got it in Maplins for £150 at a time when this Humax recorder was £299 with software issues.

18 months down the line I got fed up with the horrible remote and front end on the Echostar. It has not missed a beat and recorded faultlessly but it was time to change now software glitches seem to have been dealt with on the Humax and the price had dropped to £225. The Echostar saved me £400 vs Sky after you remove the cost of the unit so has done well !!

Having bought this unit with the experience of another Freesat unit which I enjoyed all I can say is wow ! It is better looking as a unit than the Echostar (not difficult) but the remote is in a different league. Some complain it clicks and feels cheap. Well, many remotes feel cheap but I don't feel this is one. Buttons are clear and the remote is a decent size and well laid out.
The picture from this Humax recorder seems of a far better quality than the Echostar and that wasn't bad at all !
It seems generally to produce better SD images than Sky did and definitely better than the Echostar.
Startup time is good despite what some have said. The Echostar on eco mode takes about 30 seconds to boot up - this takes in the region of 10-15 so I rate that good.
The EPG / front end is brilliant and just as good as Sky+
I would thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone wanting to junk Sky ! We have been Sky free for 18 months and don't miss it at all. You lose some channels like Sky1 and Sky Atlantic but if, like us, you aren't into Sky Sports then the cost saving vs how much I really watched those channels made it a no brainer to get rid of Sky.
I can't fault the unit or what it gives. Save money and get rid of Sky - in a few months the unit will have paid for itself !!
on 8 December 2016
I bought this in March 2014 and initially I thought it was a great piece of kit. However, as time and 2 years has rolled on, the recording facility only started to work when the machine rather than I wanted it to work. It was a lottery to see whether a recording had been successful and more often than not it had failed. I tried everything from the various web discussion pages such as allowing more time for a recording to register on the system rather than 'last minute' additions and also downloading the latest software which it does not seem able to do as it cannot find a software update fix released in August 2016 as an apparent fix. I have also done the factory reset 3 times but all to no avail. My Humax now will not record anything at all so from a £229 recorder it is now relegated to an expensive basic Humax box which you can buy for £90.00.
For how long are these machines built to last? I don't think that for this price 33 months of very occasional usage is acceptable.