VINE VOICEon 28 November 2012
Tapping into two markets at this time of year Christmas and Baking brings us this little short story by Abby Clements - The Christmas Bake Off.

Rachel just wants to win something and be recognised for her efforts for once. John is perhaps having a go but his skill is putting together flat pack furniture than a cake and then there is Katie who has a reputation to uphold as she bakes for a living and wants to be talent spotted for her baking by the famous TV baker - Joe Carmichael.

Things do not go to plan in fact there are some suspicious ingredients in it. True colours are shown and well you will just have to read to find out what happens.

A quick Christmas read to get you in the mood for some more Christmas themed reading and if not then some baking at least!
on 7 November 2013
What could be better than a book about cake, sabotage, romance and Christmas? Exactly nothing.

The Christmas bake off is short, sweet and utterly festive.
We're met with a mix of different, but lovely characters all with their own reasons to enter and win their villages annual Christmas bake off. Met with sabotage, they're all in shock. Who on earth would do such a thing?

Abby Clements is a magical writer and has you eating out of the palms of her hands with this darling little novella. It really is lovely. I'm guessing the Cinnamon Stars and Vanilla Moons I'll be making from the recipes at the back of book will be lovely too.
on 8 May 2018
This is a very short story which only took around 20 minutes to read. It is perfectly festive and well put together.

The local village bake off has been sabotaged. Who is the culprit? It even includes a festive recipe.
on 8 November 2015
Nice little story but far too short, I felt it could of actually gone somewhere if it was longer. I dont normally do short stories but only got it because i love all of Abby Clements books so far. It was a freebie so cant complain. Didnt really have a chance to connect with the charactors but that was only because it was so short. Ideal little read with a cuppa or on your teabreak at work.
on 23 January 2013
I picked this up for free for my Kindle after the title caught my eye (I loved the British Bake Off show this year!). I thought it would be a good way of trying out Abby Clements before buying any of her books too.

It was a nice enough wee story based around a village baking contest. However the characters weren't particularly engaging as despite the short length of the story and reading it in one sitting I kept getting Katie and Rachel mixed up. I think I was looking for a bit more depth but it all felt rather superficial.

I have to say I was disappointed and it didn't encourage me to read anything else by Abby Clements.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 November 2014
Short but a lovely, heart-warming Christmas story about a village having a bake off style competition. There wasn't a lot to get my teeth into but actually I really enjoyed it. The author managed to give enough information about her characters for me to be really pleased by the ending which is no mean feat in somebody who is not usually into short stories. Really nice and made me put another of this writer's books on my wish list.
on 10 December 2013
Absolutely enchanting very short story by the author of Meet Me under the Mistletoe. I loved every word. It takes place a couple of years before Meet Me under the Mistletoe, but most of the people are in both. I don't know if it is necessary to have read MMutM (sorry, too lazy to type it all out again), but I had actually just finished it yesterday.
Anyway, in view of all the bakery programmes on TV I can definitely recommend this book, even if, like me, you don't watch them.
on 14 February 2014
Any book that involves a Yorkshire village and its characters is bound to catch my interest, and this short story did not disappoint. It was just what I had expected: some real characters, a Christmas bake off at the village hall, a budding romance and a crime (that turns out very harmless and is solved in a most unpretentious manner). Short and sweet, and I wouldn't mind coming across this particular setting again in a longer book.
on 27 November 2012
It is a really, really short story, but it has a promising (sweet -and probably a bit too saccharine if I'm honest) setting, with enjoyable characters. Of course, if the story was longer, I'm not sure I wouldn't get irritated in the end by the triviality of the story, but since it's meant to be read in one quick swoop, you get the warm Christmas-y feeling one loves at this time of year. As a freebie, it's pretty good (and well-written! Oh, how I wish all free books were as well written and spell-checked like this one!)
on 19 November 2017
Short and sweet, and nice for a bedtime story, but felt it lacked depth. Really enjoyed Viviene's Heavenly Icecream Shop, but this one fell short.