on 6 March 2014
This was possibly one of the worst books I've read in a long time. The plot has a promising start, but quickly disappoints. Many of the characters are very two-dimensional much of what happens is extremely predictable. However, the real issue is that the quality of the writing is really quite appallingly bad. It is riddled with so many errors in grammar and punctuation that it was at times really very difficult to read. I was actually quite surprised that it had even been published in that state. If you ever thought that editing was unimportant, read this book and you'll discover that it's vital.
on 23 March 2014
I found Miss Appleby an intriguing character - strong and vulnerable in equal measure.

Misunderstandings by many of the characters, and the choices they made as a result, had sometimes devastating consequences. Elizabeth Gill's portrayal of the Durham area at the beginning of the twentieth century is striking, as is her portrayal of the people. Hard lives were lived by so many and they were often hard on themselves and each other. Did the bleakness of the landscape and challenging weather encourage such harshness?

Miss Appleby's Academy is a story which will stay with you for a while. I'm looking forward to reading more novels by Elizabeth Gill. The first one I read was Far from My Father's House, which I loved.

Jasmine Sparks
Author of the Dolly Series of books
Dolly: Dolly Series: Book 1
on 1 October 2017
Gripping - the reader feels involved in the story so much that as the last page is turned there is a feeling of loss. - More Elizabeth !!! Well done.
on 24 May 2016
Definitely not my usual genre, but, thoroughly enjoyed this refreshing change. Fairly predictable story but well written and a very easy read. Good descriptions and I could feel the cold in those Yorkshire moors.
on 27 November 2013
I loved the characters in this book, especially Emma Appleby. She's an unusual character because of her resourcefulness, strength of character and uncompromising personality. I thought the book grabbed me from beginning to end, from America to Northern England and there were plenty of plot twists to keep the ending far from predictable. Read it!
on 14 April 2017
I did enjoy the stir taking me forwards. I liked the way the history of County Durham was the basis of this. The place of the owners and the workers. The role of the Methodist Church in finding a humanty and value....
on 30 July 2017
Excellent book, very well written.
on 20 August 2017
good book, couldn't put down.
on 14 April 2017
A good read.
on 21 October 2017
Have already bought it for my sister. Very different really super story. Could envisage the schoolroom and feel the cold.