Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 9 December 2012
What would you do if your whole world is turned upside? For Sarah discovering that her husband had been having an affair, not with a stranger but with someone who'd known her all her life, it was the ultimate betrayal that forces her to take a look at her life to work out where her future lies. She sets about reliving moments and decisions from her past to see how her life had turned out so differently, working as a lawyer in the suburbs, to what she'd envisaged when she was younger.

Although the synopsis hints at betrayal and divorce, it doesn't give too much away so I was shocked when almost from the start of the book we discover exactly who Tim had been having an affair with and can completely understand Sarah's reaction to both parties concerned.

I have to confess from the cover image that I did think that this would be a nice feel-goody Christmassy book, something it's definitely not, but despite not being what I was expecting it was an easy book to read. The storyline flowed with ease with Sarah re-tracing moments from her college days when she shared a house with her best-friend Brooke to memories of her first love, Alec, to taking the momentous decision as to what she's going to do with her life now.

This was very much a story of picking yourself up from your lowest point and re-building a new life for yourself. I loved Sarah as a character and her final decision as to what she was going to do with her life and hope that someday Megan might write a sequel, or short story follow-up, to see whether her new life has turned out to be everything she was hoping for.

Having never read any of Megan's books before, she's definitely an author who I'll be looking to read more of in the future.
on 21 January 2013
This is the first Megan Crane book I have read but it certainly won't be the last. Her characters came alive and I really wanted to know more about them. This is the kind of book you have to keep on reading until you finish it and then are disappointed when you have. Much more than your usual chick lit.
I absolutely loved this book and I'm fairly sure I would have devoured it in one sitting if I had more free time to actually sit down and read. I had no idea what to expect from this story because the synopsis doesn't really give away too much. I glanced at the cover (which is gorgeous, by the way) and I thought it would be a nice, atmospheric Christmas read. Something light you can curl up with under a warm blanket, a mug of hot chocolate in hand. And it just shows why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Once More With Feeling is a great Christmas read but at the same time, it's so much more than that.

If you're looking for a light, feel-goody Christmas novel that that you can curl up with on Christmas Eve, sipping hot chocolate or mulled wine next to a blazing fire Once More With Feeling might not be your number one choice. It's a great book for those cold and dark winter afternoons but it's definitely not a sappy, feel-goody Christmas story. At all. It's dramatic, sometimes heartbreaking but at the same time very hopeful and optimistic. It will make you feel angry, nostalgic, and quite emotional too. It's the kind of book where, once you get to the end, you feel as if you've been holding your breath all along. And only when it reaches a conclusion, when Sarah figures out what do to with her life are you able to breath normally again.

Sarah is a wonderful character and I loved her from the very beginning. I loved the way she tells her story, the way she lets you take a glimpse into her life, her past and her dreams as a twenty-something girl trying to find her way in the world. And maybe one of the things I loved the most is that she's so real. You know it's all fiction but the fact that she's so real, so much like any of us, makes the book even better, even more easy for us to relate to her and the story she tells.

Reading Once More With Feeling was an emotional roller-coaster ride for me but I enjoyed every minute of it. A great narrative, realistic characters and the beautiful, witty writing are what make this book as fantastic it is. I cried my eyes out over the closing chapter but I couldn't imagine a better ending to the story. (I'm going to be really mysterious here and say to those of you who've already read it: wouldn't it be nice if there was a sequel? I would really like to read about how Sarah's `adventure' goes and what places she ends up in!) It was the first book I've read by Megan Crane but it definitely won't be the last.
This is my first Megan Crane novel and I must say, before reading this, I had heard many wonderful things about her previous releases, so I was very much looking forward to starting this.

The cover is absolutely stunning, with snow, New York and a lot of sparkle. It appears from the cover that this is a light, fluffy, chick-lit read, but don't be fooled, because this book is so much more than that.

Sarah works as a lawyer at a partnership which she owns with her husband Tim. She has a nice house, a husband, and is doing well in her career. Then one day she arrives home early, telling herself that she can now make the yoga class she likes. But as she walks into the bedroom to get changed, she is greeted by the sight of her husband in bed with someone else, and as if that wasn't bad enough, it's with someone who she has known for her whole life. This betrayal causes her life to turn upside down and for chaos to ensue. Desperate to make some sense of things, Sarah starts trying to work out how her life ended up being so different from what her original hopes and dreams were Sarah begins to re-evaluate her life, delving back into the past to reconsider her past choices, and having to face some ghosts from the past along the way...

As I've just mentioned, this book is more than it originally seems. It opens with a dramatic first chapter, and the impact on both the character Sarah and the reader is powerful. Wow. I was completely blown away and after taking a moment to catch my breath, I was gripped to the pages.

Megan Crane has done an exceptional job with the character of Sarah. As the story is written from her perspective, Sarah is instantly likeable. As we discover important parts of the story at the same time as she revisits them, I personally found that I developed a strong bond with Sarah, I felt myself go on a very emotional roller-coaster journey with her. I was so involved and hooked to the story that I felt myself experiencing similar emotions to Sarah, I felt joy when she reconnected with important parts of her past, and I felt sadness in my heart when her life began to fall apart at the beginning of the story. Throughout the book i willed her on to carry on with her journey of self-discovery, and although sometimes she was in the wrong, I desperately wanted her to find the path that was for her.

Megan has also created a brilliant supporting cast, and each character played an essential part on Sarah's journey. For me, I very much liked the character of Brooke, I saw similarities in her friendship with Sarah. The relationship they had with each other reminded me very much of my own relationships with old friends, and so I personally was able to relate to their scenes together. Alec was also a well-written character, he came across as very mysterious, he had me intrigued and I could not tear myself away from his parts in the book!

I loved the idea of this book, the idea of re-evaluating your life, deciding where to go next, and the courage and strength that comes with those decisions. Once More With Feeling is an honest, refreshing book with a difference. From just looking at the cover I was originally expecting a Christmas chick-lit themed book but I got so much more with that. I was given a deeper, gripping and compelling story that stayed with me, and had me thinking about it long after I had closed the book.
on 26 January 2013
What a read! Totally challenged my thoughts on real "love". A thought provoking read from start to finish with beautiful description. Loved it!
on 16 December 2013
I started off really enjoying this book, and wondering why it had been slated a bit by the reviews. However, after getting in to it a bit I realised why.... OMG... this woman had feelings about feelings about what she was feeling, or should be feeling or could be feeling or might....... etc. etc. In a couple of places, someone would ask her a question, and the description of her feelings et al was sooooo long that I had forgotten the original question and had to go back a couple of pages to find out what she was answering...... A predictable ending for a somewhat indulgently written and predictable book.
on 27 October 2013
This book has been sat on my bookshelf for some time, just waiting to be read. I had been waiting for winter to set in, as the cover is so beautifully wintery. The cover is a little deceiving; it makes you feel like it will be a christmassy book. Whilst this book is the ideal book to settle down with in front of the fire on a crisp winter day, it isn't a Christmas eve read. (For that I would recommend the author Scarlett Bailey and her fabulous Christmas books!)

I very much enjoyed this book. It resonated with me, and I found it very easy to relate to Sarah. Not because of the affair, but because of the back story which comes out as Sarah delves into her past to try and discover why she made the choices she did. Did she settle for Tim? Has she really been as happy as she thought all those years? What happened to her dreams? How did she end up being the type of lawyer she always hated?

To answer all those questions, and try to work out how she ended up where she is today, Sarah takes a trip down or two down memory lane. This is the point in the book where I really started to get into it. I saw similarities between Sarah and Brooke's friendship and an old friendship of my own. It made me smile, and I didn't want her to leave Brooke again. But then came along her old flame, Alec.....

Alec....Alec is delicious and sounded like my perfect man! At this point, I wanted to dive into the book and take Sarah's place!

Megan Crane does a fabulous job at making you feel everything Sarah feels: disbelief, anger, frustration at her parents, confusion, love for an old friend, lust for an old flame....! The pace is perfect, and the storyline twists and turns to keep you turning the pages.

You know a book is good when it leaves you wanting more, and this book left me begging Megan Crane to write a sequel (quite literally, I actually tweeted her before I embarked on this review!). It wasn't the predictable ending I expected and it only hints at the future, which I'm dying to know more about.
on 20 January 2013
I chose this book not only for the story but based on the price and the reviews from readers. It was a really easy read, sometimes hard to put the book down.

I loved the way the ending was not rushed like some books and also a surprising ending. There were some underlying messages in the book and I loved the fact the book was not too predictable.

Great read, would thoroughly recommend it.
on 28 January 2013
I thought I would be bored reading this to begin with, but it is a book that has deep feelings that are explored. Interesting journey.
on 28 December 2013
I was expecting chick-lit but this was so much more. I felt like I was reading a diary of a woman that I didn't particularly like although was drawn to, and was sometimes so infuriated with I had to put the book down. Her decisions seemed so bad and so wrong, but also so real that it was impossible not to be pulled into the narrative.
Sarah is an imperfect heroine, she is wonderfully, excruciatingly flawed and having an almost voyeuristic view into her world allows the reader a glimpse into a scenario that felt like an utter kaleidoscope, so desperate was I to turn that tube and make the picture finally appear clear and at the conclusion I found myself not wanting the end I had yearned for through most of the book but wanting a different more full and empowering ending for our protagonist.
I felt challenged as a woman and a feminist by this book and would definitely recommend.