on 28 July 2016
Jake Bugg came to my attention only recently – not being a radio listener nor much of an early adopter water cooler chatter or equivalent on line etc . That was via a T in the Park concert on the TV where I happened to catch his set and was impressed by his playing, his material, his voice and his downbeat performance charisma in a live gig. So I got all three of his CDs . Certainly his first and second lived up to that impression. Good musicianship from Bugg and his fellow musicians, lyrics that are about something and to the point and a wistfulness at times that is sweet. I like his guitar riffs and he is shaping up to become a great, not just good guitar player, if that is what he wants to do and applies himself to learn from the greats while settling on his own style.

His most recent offering I have not taken to quite so warmly yet and the attempt at a rap is not a success. One also has a sense of him, now he is 22 of trying to find a new voice and position himself musically but not quite getting there yet.

I can see why people have compared him to Dylan, Paul Simon and the Beatles - Donovan also sprang to mind. But most musicians of any quality have influences of one sort or another ,as indeed did all of those mentioned and saying something is derivative is usually a cheap shot. I read that one notable/notorious? 90’s musical “celebrity” was critical of Bugg for writing his material in collaboration with others – oh you mean like Lennon and Mcartney, Jagger and Richards, Elton John and Tom Robinson( among others )– yeah! yeah! yeah! Well he was the future – once – as the saying goes. Jack Bugg still is and has a big one in front of him if he wants to grab it .
on 17 September 2017
Jake Bugg is a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the rubbish been produced these day's . An artist's true value is if they can survive the passing of time . Jake Bugg is such a talent and will be played for many years to come . This is a superb collection of songs with a lot of meaning and diversity . A no brainer buy it you'll love it .
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 January 2013
I've been hearing a lot of this fellow on 6 Music recently. Tracks from this album have had a lot of air play, and deservedly so. To my ears he is definitely one of the more interesting artists to have emerged in the last year or so. Admittedly, when I heard him being interviewed a little while ago he seemed a bit smug, but he's got a lot to be smug about, so it's forgivable.

This is a cracking first album. The songs are written, played and sung with a degree of maturity and depth that you just don't expect when you see his impossibly young looking face on the cover. Hard to pin down a style, there are hints of Americana, blues, folk, rock and others to be heard here. Like a precocious teenager it has mood swings from the upbeat to melancholy. It's a great album, 5 stars.
on 2 August 2015
Some would say this is really derivative and I would agree there is nothing remotely original about it However it is done with such charm and character I can let it slide completely I like the songs and I like the music therefore I can't really fault it. Jake does a good impression of any number of 60's musicians and infact even looks like one if you put a 1963 date stamp on it you would fool everyone but for the photo quality and clothing.
however it is completely unoriginal so I had to knock a star off
on 10 July 2013
You'd be forgiven for thinking this album and singer is so hyped,it'll end up being disappointing,i certainly wasn't disappointed.
Of course there's the Dylan comparison,or a modern day version of,but Jake Bugg does show a lot of talent here for song writing and he has an interesting voice,which helps with the appeal. His lyrics do make him sound wise beyond his years and yet very down to earth,still managing to sound like a young man trying to find himself in a very confusing world.
With maturity like this,he's set for big things indeed. The album has enough balance of slow and faster paced songs to not get predictable and if his second album shows him growing even more as a young talent,this guy could be huge.
on 7 April 2014
I first came across Jake Bugg appearing on the BBC Introducing stage at Glastonbury and was immediately hooked. His voice is so unusual, with a raw purity, and a sensitivity that draws the emotions during some of the slower songs without sounding contrived. He is also a hugely talented guitarist and demonstrates this particularly on his next album, Shangri-La. Bought both albums on CD last year and since bought on vinyl. This young Englishman deserves all his early success and plaudits. A rare and gifted musician, and hopefully grounded enough in his craft to avoid the worst pitfalls of fame and success.
on 10 January 2015
I had this on my wish list for some time! I wish I had bought it sooner! I am 67 years old and i haven't heard a voice like this for a very very long time - this young man is a rare talent in an age of mass produced "pop stars". Where he finds the depth of feeling in his songs at such a young age I have no idea but long may his career continue. I'm a lifelong fan of the likes of Dylan, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen and this lad rates among them in my opinion. If you haven't already got this album BUY IT!
on 11 March 2014
Heard a couple of his records on the radio and thought I'd give his first album a go. Well worth it, the most enjoyable album I've listened to in years. No idea who Iain Archer is but thought the records that he collaborated on were by some way the best ones on it, that's not to say the others were poor, far from it as there are only 2 that I skip off the whole album and I'm struggling to think of another album where I could say that. Think I've heard Jake Bugg compared with Bob Dylan and can see where that's coming from but on a couple of songs he comes across as Val Doonican with an attitude and I really do mean that in the nicest possible way.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone.
on 26 March 2014
Pros: This album will be remembered I am sure for its originality.

Cons: The recording is over-engineered on some tracks. The desire to make certain tracks sound vintage has been pushed too hard to the point that the recording sounds over-worked and pretentious. But on certain tracks the vintage "uncompressed" feel of the recording felt like a fantastic recording too.

All in all I would recommend Jake Bugg. I personally find it entertaining for repeat car listening.
on 5 August 2013
I bought this CD wanting a change to my routine genre tastes. It proved to be very different in style from what I am normally listening to during the day for work and play!. and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed some of the tracks. (1. Lighting bolt 6 country song) Having listened to the album and watched a live performance at Glastonbury - for a young musician playing this kind of music for today's young and appeal of age, genre diversity of music is very bold. Would recommend to fans of Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan for your older groups and younger ones - well he's already played Glastonbury! Buy if you haven't heard.