on 2 April 2013
I've been a faithful Polar user for 10 years, using their top-of-line products. Most people who trained with me used Garmin models, instead, but I insisted that despite not being so popular, they were great sport watches. I even tried a Forerunner 610 for a few weeks, but did not like it. More recently, feeling upset with a few things regarding Polar (e.g. their slow and buggy polarpersonaltrainer.com), I decided to have a go with Garmin 910.

The 910 is really another league. More robust, larger display, special features for triathlon, built-in gps, and a very nice supporting site (Garmin connect... well integrated with training peaks, too). Worth the money.
on 18 October 2013
Having recently made the decision to 'Try Tri', and having really reached the limits of frustration with my Polar HRM (poor connections with HRM strap, older model overtaken by technology so unable to download to computer) and with an overwhelming desire to be able to plan where I wanted to go and know where I had been, I was looking for a GPS/HRM training aid.

The Forerunner 910XT came out top and the Triathlon bundle appeared to fit my needs. It comes with a bike mount (better are available but the supplied one is v simple and suitable), a HRM strap, which is better than the Polar strap (harder sensor points but comfortable to wear, almost instant connection to via the Garmin ANT agent) and a charger. The bundle presented these items as marginally cheaper than buying the individual items.

The unit itself is very easy and intuitive to use. In combination with the Garmin Connect site it is a great piece of kit. unfortunately it tends to suck you into analysis - fine, if like me you like that, but it may offer more than many are interested in. Overall it is a well thought out system with some nice elements of user interface that have been clearly developed by people who understand its use.

The pros are many, and overall I would highly recommend this.

A few cons though:

This is not a cheap piece of kit - it certainly delivers for the money, but may be a stretch for some. I saw it as an investment that would give me no choice but to have to justify the expense.

It is not a compact piece of kit - it sits on the wrist comfortably but is conspicuous and definately cannot be worn casually as a surrogate watch. when used in bike mounted format it stands off of the wrist quite far too which some may find uncomfortable.

The swim mode does not offer as much as the bike and run modes. Clearly there are limits to using HRMs in water, so it makes some estimates based on stroke rate and distance (estimated in a pool, done on distance when outside). Open water swimming mode also struggles to maintain satellites resulting in some amusing but ultimately frustrating readouts of routes swam (apparently I swam down the A385 the other day and managed to gain 170 feet in elevation. Not that important but still annoying.

Overall I am enjoying using this unit - it is just about proving its worth but that is only because I am not pushing it hard enough.
on 9 May 2014
Love it, love it, love it!!!! What more can I say really.

I love every aspect of this watch and the bundle. I have been using it for swimming, running and cycling and the amount of data collected is brilliant, and really help me to track my training as I approach my first Triathlon.

Swimming
I have yet to use this in open water, but in the pool it work very well. Display is very easy to read at a quick glance. As long as you know how the device is tracking lengths and make sure you swim accordingly. You have to ensure that each push off the wall is as strong as possible, this makes sure that the accelerometer within the device registers a new length. I love the fact it will track number of stokes and then translates that into SWOLF and efficiency ratings, really helps to see where you need to improve. Also like the fact you can set certain distances and it will beep and vibrate when you are doing the last length. The one frustration is that it does really track "moving time" very week when you are doing sets unlike with the run and cycle options. However if you get in the habit of hitting the "Lap" and then "stop" at the end of each set this makes it a bit more accurate for the total time.

Running and cycling
I will cover these together as the features are very much the same. I love the fact that you can have different settings if you are running or cycling. The virtual partner feature is very handy for ensuring that you are on pace for the mile/km. One thing I would say is that make sure you have the right units set within both the running and cycling profiles and don't do what I did and try to adjust it during a race!!!!

Heart Rate Monitor
This is brilliant and really adds another level of stats to your training

This is where the warning comes in, with the sheer volume of stats that it captures, the quick and easy sync to Garmin Conect means that your stats are there straight away. Garmin have also made an overhaul to the website which gives even more stats and totals. If you are into stats and totals, then it can very quickly become an addiction it trying to improve and get your totals up. Of course as long as you training within your limits and listen to your body, this isn't a bad thing in my mind.

All in all, if you are looking for a multi sport GPS watch then look no further.
on 30 May 2013
I have been a supporter of Polar for more than 10 years, but now understand the Garmin hype!

A fantastic bit of kit. Easy to understand and get going. Displays data perfectly, both on the watch and within the software.

Used this first for an ultra-marathon. It needs a minute to pick up the satellite signal, but didn't drop it for the entire race, despite serious hills, tree shading and coastal cliffs.

If you are even considering moving across from Polar, do it immediately! This beats it in every respect.
on 31 March 2014
Wanted something to do the job for triathlon as simply as possible. Read other reviews that stated this was market leader. I know why. It does exactly what it say etc etc Not cheap but most of the time the best things are worth paying extra for.
on 29 April 2013
OK, Swimsense is perhaps better for pool swimming, but this has loads of features which are missing from that one, like possibility to use in open water swim.
I bought the tri-bundle, and setting cadence sensors etc. was very simple, and the watch recognized those within few seconds.
I still need to learn how to toggle between the screens and find my favorite.
Only minus is that heartrate belt does not work underwater. Therefore I am still using my Suunto memorybelt....
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 June 2015
Excellent piece of kit so far. Still getting used to the different functions.
on 8 March 2014
Haa, quick release should be named "Snap your fixings and have to just hold onto it"

The quick release on this is a joke, its sooooo stiff, you wish you could get wood like this guys!
Seriously, its a 2 handed, wring its damn neck job to seperate the 910XT from the watch strap or the bike mount due to the way its recessed, which is very different from the Edge bike computers.

Shame too, we could have been such good friends, but Noooo, you just wanted to see other events, not happy with just swimming, you wanted to mount the bike too but couldnt without injury! lol

If they work on the mount/strap and improve it a LOT, then this "could" be great, but for me, naa, sent it back, got an Edge 810 and just count my lengths in the pool instead.. Old school style..
on 12 December 2013
This was a gift for my husband so not yet used it. He do a great deal of reviews on this type of watch and this one came out the best. Quick delivery so very happy.