on 10 March 2017
Buy this book whether you are a trainee or have been teaching thirty years - it will change the way you think and equip you with an amazing toolkit!
on 17 September 2013
I bought this book based on the reviews I have read. I have not been disappointed, the book is full of tips and ideas, which I have found very thought provoking, and have aloud me to examine different ways to inspire and focus my FE students. I bought this book initially on Kindle, but I have had to re-order it in paperback, as the text in some areas are virtually impossible to read on Kindle. Despite this flaw the book is excellent.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2017
I absolutely loved this book. I am going through a phase of 'teacher reading'. I am an experienced teacher and I work hard. I have long since given up on the idea of reaching 'outstanding' because the pupils are much more important that how someone else judges you. This book gave me some food for thought about 'little things' that I am over looking at times and also very clear guidelines of what an 'outstanding teacher' and 'pupil engagement' actually looks like. It has made me re-evaluate as all reflective practitioners should do. I have used some of the ideas in this book already with success and I would recommend t teachers of all stages. I bought it because it was referenced in 'The perfect (OFSTED) Science lesson' by John Beasley (which I would also recommend).
on 17 August 2013
I found this book an excellent read... it has just the right blend of theory and practical tips to make it a really useful. Some books can go into the theory just a bit too much and as a result cannot engage the reader... Engaging learning doesn't! It does exactly was it says in the title!

I am looking forward to putting ideas into action... Thanks MALIT and when is the next book being published?
on 11 March 2017
This book is a life saver!

Currently I am studying for a primary teaching degree at Edge Hill University and I was struggling on my 3000 word foundation subject assignment. I picked up this book one day and it put everything into perceptive. This book was great for understanding what engagement means and how teachers can engage students in their learning. I used this for most of my assignment as it was very useful and I will be rereading it ready for my next placement in a primary school!!

I recommend this to all teachers or trainee teachers.
on 7 April 2015
The good thing about this book is that, although it is wide-ranging, there is a central unifying idea, that of "flow" as popularized by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Flow is the experience of being lost in an activity, focused, energized, and barely aware of the passage of time. The key requirement for flow is that challenge is matched with skill. Boredom will result if the challenge is too low; and frustration if the challenge is beyond skill levels. Applied to the classroom, this simple yet powerful idea provides the direction for the book - creating opportunities for flow through appropriate challenge and raising the skills of learners. The authors note that frequently in lessons there is little opportunity for learners to experience flow. In fact, teachers dominate the classroom to the extent that it is only they who are likely to get into flow, presumably explaining why class time seems to move faster for teachers than students. We have to step back to allow learners to get into flow. Not only will this lead to greater learning, it allows us the chance to see if they are learning. As the authors say "It is essential that ... we create sufficient space and opportunities for independent learning ... so that we can gather real evidence about our students' learning or lack of it."

The authors challenge readers to list activities they use which allow learners to remain absorbed in learning for 20 minutes or more. Reaching a target of 15-20 different activities should ensure that our learners get the chance to work harder than the teacher! There are some great ideas which were new to me which have proven very successful in my classes. Two of my favorites have been "Tarsia" puzzles and learning grids. With Tarsia, learners assemble pieces by matching, for example, questions with answers. Puzzles are easily created using free software. Learning grids, which can be adapted to a variety of purposes are 6 x 6 grids of words, images or ideas. Learners select boxes by rolling dice. In the simplest form of the activity, learners are challenged to make connections between the words they select. The random selection generated by the dice-throwing generally creates a high level of challenge as unanticipated pairs are thrown together.

To sum up: Well worth reading for the combination of a solid theoretical framework, practical wisdom from many hours of classroom observation, successful activities, and a good dose of fun (most evident in the entire chapter devoted to play and playfulness).
on 1 March 2013
this gave me some good ideas and thought for altering my lessons to the more 'engaged' approach. It has good structure and you can dip into the sections you want to focus on
on 14 August 2017
Very good book, with useful ideas, good for any trainee teacher
on 18 May 2016
This book was given as a gift, as a teach first student this is my first year in the classroom and it has provided practical advice, tips and techniques which are all clearly explained, improving my lessons I the classroom.
on 13 October 2012
Picked up the book this morning and I have already too many ideas I would like to use on Monday morning.
As an AST I enjoy reading thought provoking educational books to enhance my own professional development...this is one of the clearest. Really captures the importance of mindset and creativity.
Thank you Andy and Mark.