Format: DVD|Change

on 30 March 2017
It had been many years since I originally watched this amusing meditation on men and relationships. It was even more enjoyable this time around. Those who know Hal Hartleys off-beat style, will no doubt know all about this film, but if you have yet to discover the world of Hal Hartley, this movie is a good place to start. It's a delight from start to finish.
on 28 April 2014
I am a massive fan of Hal Hartley but you don't get to see his films at the cinema (where I live) so was very happy to find his back catalogue giving me the opportunity to start buying my favourites (as well as new releases). This film is worth buying alone just for the cast dancing to Sonic Youth. Still puts a smile on my face. If you like quirky, thought provoking films, try Hal Hartley, you won't regret it.
on 15 March 2000
Concerning the adventures of two brothers in search of their renegade, anarchist terrorist, all-star shortstop dad in Long Island. ("It's not an Island, it's a terminal murain... the land left over when ice recedes," one casually observes.) Features an odd, if entrirely characteristic, dance sequence to Sonic Youth's "Kool Thing" and Martin Donovan's ode to Hot f**cking Tuna. Entirely essential for fans of the director; others may be baffled.
on 31 March 2013
I hadn't seen this film for years. It used to be one of my favourites and watching it again I remember why.
The DVD itself is another matter though. A horrible transfer and they've even managed to get the name of the film wrong in both the packaging and the menus.
on 19 September 2003
My second best Hartley's film. A bit more professional in the making than the Unbelievable Truth, though maybe it lacks the immense freshness of the Hartley's very first film. Hence the 4 stars, not 5.
Anyway, really worth it, nothing to do with his pseudo-sophisticated and boring later films like Amateur.
When does it come out on DVD? (Hint!)
on 15 June 2013
I suspect most people either love or hate Hal Hartley. I find myself somewhere in between. He is entertaining, funny, pretentious, infuriating, clever (sometimes too clever), moving, David Mamet crossed with Oscar Wilde, that ends up being completely original. I just wish he'd acknowledged that the dance scene is a complete homage (to put it politely) to the dance in Godard's Bande a part, even down to the the pretty girl with a gamine fringe.