1,512

on 17 April 2017
So I've reached the age of 42 without ever reading the book, seeing the film or the series of hitchhikers guide.
Two friends in work were using lines out of it a month back. Lines such as I know where my towel is and the answer to everything is 42. My age coincidentally.
So I asked them what they were on about and they told me. They were as shocked as me that I hadn't ever seen or read it what with me being a Sci fi fan. I don't know how I bypassed it really.
Anyway, so I bought the books that night and I'm glad I did.
I'm only two books in and I have read the reviews on here that say they go downhill after the 2nd but I honestly feel I've already had my moneys worth from the first two.
Whilst it's not laugh out loud funny all the time, I have had moments where I laughed. What I found is it is constantly amusing, a smirk or a chuckle has only ever been a page away.
But by far the best quality to these books is the ideas they present, page after page of a most unique and interesting galaxy where fantastic and credible futuristic visions of how the wider universe could be living as we speak are explained in a humorous and fascinating way.
This coupled with the ridiculous, mind boggling crazy ideas that he throws into the mix had me flicking pages for more time than I should on a night before early work.
Totally recommend the first two in the series and despite the criticisms I am still looking forward to reading the rest.
After reading the book numerous times, after seeing the original TV series first time round and many times since and after watching the film, it seemed all that was left was to listen to the audio book.

I had never purchased or listened to an audio book before and I wasn't disappointed. Stephen Fry is excellent and brings every character to life, the story (as ever) is wonderful and for me was the most pleasing part was that my nine year old daughter also loved it (Bringing a whole new dimension to our school run journeys).

If you love Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy buy this, if you have never experienced Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy but like surreal comedy then buy this, you won't be disappointed.

A word of caution however, be careful listening to this in the car as there are moments when you laugh so much.

P.S My second audio book has just been ordered "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe"
on 16 October 2016
I watched the movie first and loved it so decided to read this. It starts off similar but greatly changes about halfway through. You get a different sense of the characters and what they're like; their relationships with eachother are different too. I am not used to the writing style of Mr Adams so I did reread some passages here and there to get a grasp of what it was trying to say. It is a book that makes you reflect a lot and think "what if" for a lot of situations. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am int he process of reading the next book in the series.
on 2 July 2016
Have just purchased a Kindle paperwhite, my first ever ereader. Had been looking at buying the paperback issues of Hitchhikers Guide's, WANTED TO READ AGAIN, had read them when first published but didn't want to have search amongst hundreds of books in my loft to find them. I also have all the episodes on audio cassette recorded from the Radio Four series and when I'm reading I do so with the voices of the actors in my head especially Peter Jones who is the book...Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I just need to find a cassette player so that I can enjoy listening again.
on 14 February 2014
If you have a penchant for surreal comedy, word play and don't take things like religeon and human perceived wisdom too seriously, these are the books for you.

Adams said he wasn't much for a plot as such and I suppose that shows. A fixed plot, or the feeling that you're getting somewhere and then actually getting there, can be important for some readers more than others. The 'happy ending' (or unhappy ending for that matter) can be the very purpose of reading for some and those readers may well be left feeling a bit empty by the whole thing.

I have one little recommendation (and possibly slightly personal) though, that's probably obvious to most; don't try to read them all at once. By the middle of volume 3, things do feel a little 'samey' which could take the pleasure away and that would be a shame. After all, there were intervals twixt the writing of each volume, so even Adams took a break!
on 6 October 2013
Read all the books as a teenager thought they were wonderful then. However, now realise they are absolute genius. Mr Adams as a writer was able to unite the scienfiction with the satirical. As I am a big fan of both genres his books to me are just fantastic. As a rule I am very careful with the books I re-read however I am so glad I did as I noticed so much more I had either forgotten the first time round or lacked the maturity to understand. Many readers criticise the ending of the final book saying there is no way back. However, with all the twists plots and subplots running through the series of books a way would have been found. Sadly the untimely death of Douglas put pay to that. I am sure as many would agree I could not entertain reading anything by someone trying to emulate his style. RIP Douglas Adams a writing genius taken far too young.
on 3 February 2016
Positive
Its satire at its best. Endless humour and whit great for enticing new readers. The Author has a great take on philosophical and scientific theories without making one bored.

Negative
The cover is ugly and therefore I would recommend getting a hardcover as its a book you'll want to keep forever. So might as well invest in one more aesthetically pleasing. I did not let the look remove any stars as the book is that great.

I've added this book to my list of favorite books. Saving up to buy a first edition.
on 18 July 2013
This took me forever to read which is highly odd for me when it comes to Douglas Adams. I normally get through his books in one sitting and I laugh constantly. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if this book simply isn't as good as the others, but I didn't enjoy it as much and struggled at times to keep reading.

I think my problem is that I didn't find a plot. Adams isn't really known for his obvious plots but there is always some sort of story in the previous Hitchhiker books but this one hurdled around so quick in the first two thirds that I was lost, a tiny bit bored & not laughing at the jokes I would of otherwise found funny. I did find the last third enjoyable and I found myself finally getting into the book as it was just ending, typical really.

I will definitely finish the series and hope that this book isn't an omen for the last two.
on 7 June 2012
I was already familiar with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the radio and TV programmes before I started reading the books, and until buying this set had not read the last two books in the trilogy.

This allowed me to re-live some of the joy I felt initially when hearing the words for the first time. Because, despite the somewhat grumpy and morose outlook of some of the lead characters in the early books, it was a deep joy to hear and then read the playful use of language - the surprising turnabouts when sentences didn't end where you expected, the delight of finding robots and computers with more character than the human and human like life forms around them. I was in love with Marvin (weren't we all). What else can you do when reading a sentence like: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." than smile.

The final two books are different. The last one particularly shows a move towards a more mature style. For me, nothing can match the first book. Book four was the weakest but I was pleasantly surprised by book five. And I'm smiling again. I hope Mr Adams is sat in the bar of the final chapters, listening to the pub singer. Class!
on 17 June 2013
UTTER, UTTER GENIUS.

Have read these novels over and over many times, over the years, over.

They are still as fresh and as funny now as then.

Douglas was bang on with his humour and outlook on life that makes you wonder about the rest of humanity.

It is seriously missing out on something vitally important and unfortunately we shall never discover what that is due to his untimely departure.

The cast of characters may seem a bit OTT but I'm pretty sure that there are still people like that out there right now, and I don't mean on Betelguese.

These stories are a must read for anyone who doesn't take themselves or life too seriously.

The destruction of Earth and one earthmans exposure to the incredible, mindblowing vastness of space and his search for a decent cup of tea, whilst evading Vogons and white mice.