on 31 December 2013
I rarely write reviews on products, but I felt that this Brother printer deserved my time, especially given some of the other comments on Amazon. I bought this printer to use whilst working at home with two laptops, two ipads and iphones. I have to say that the wi-fi setup was very simple and straight-forwards, it recognised my wifi network and individual devices straight away and within 30minutes from opening the box the process was completed.

I regularly need to scan files for emailing from my laptop and this works seamlessly in terms of sending a pdf to a folder on the laptop. Printing from ipads is very simple, the colour touchscreen makes it much easier to navigate and setup as well.

Print quality is ideal for office documents with the A3 function being very useful for spreadsheets and other larger documents. I cannot comment on the printers capabilities for photo printing (I have a separate professional quality photo printer) but this printer is typical of many inkjets in that output quality is wholly influenced by paper quality.

In summary, I am very impressed with this all-in-one printer and I would not hesitate to recommend it if you have a mixed demand for a wifi enabled printer/scanner at home.
on 31 October 2013
I struggled with a Lexmark all-in-one for a long time, so decided to buy a new machine. I chose an Epson with excellent reviews but had to contact customer service for setup help, and that was a nightmare! So I sent it back and went for this little machine - which does everything I wanted - copy, print, fax and scan. I had issues in the set up stage but customer service were super efficient and courteous, both qualities I really appreciate! The machine is excellent, does everything very well, and for the last 2 months I had it, behaved impeccably! My only negative comment would be that the trays are a little flimsy and keeping the telephone line connected for the fax, interferes with my phone line but that is because my phone is on a network, not directly plugged into the outside line. Other than that so far it has been good. I am reassured also that if and when it comes to it, customer service is excellent, which for me is a big plus!
on 14 June 2013
I bought this printer as a replacement for my Canon. The Canon was poorly supported as a Mac printer - and worse still, it was completely unusable on Linux. At home, we have a Windows XP Pro desktop, an iMac27, an iPad, 2 linux laptops and a couple of Samsung Galaxy S2s. This printer is connected by gigabit ethernet to the Mac and connects wirelessly to all the other devices. It was astonishingly easy to set up, having checked to make sure the available Mac drivers were updated to the latest version via Brothers website.

I have been extremely pleased overall with the quality, functionality and connectivity of the printer. It makes use of Airprint to connect to the iPad, incidentally. The only reason it did not rate 5 stars for me was that the ultimate print quality falls a little short of Canon, although that would only matter if you were printing photographs... in which case, you'd be spending 4 times as much on a suitable printer. And, whilst accepting that the A3 functionality it offers is really only meant for occasional use, you do need to make sure that you have good access to the rear of the printer and take care when loading a sheet for printing, otherwise it can skew the feed slightly, causing the print to be misaligned.

If you are looking for a very decent and flexible cross-platform budget printer, this may well be all you need.
on 4 April 2013
Nearly bought a Canon printer for my home office before stumbling on some data that showed them to be very costly per page. For my modest company's office, per page cost is a factor. Now I'm a fan of Brother. When I had a minor issue with something and emailed Brother, they were prompt to reply and even called us eventually, and solved it for us. BRILLIANT printer from clearly a BRILLIANT company.
on 23 April 2014
We have used Brother black and white printers for years and have been very impressed with their reliability. So I decided to get a colour one but it is not as predictable. The printer tray is a bit flimsy and when this printer jams, you will spend at least 30minutes trying to unblock it. We have owned this printer for 8 months and just recently had to send it in for repairs following a print 35 error-this is a dirty encoder strip. The colour is also not so crisp. I don't think that I will buy another one
on 27 January 2014
+ clear, brilliant scans
+ good quality prints in different modes (draft, speed, photos)
+ photos come out beautifully
+ prints A3 DOES NOT scan A3 on the flatbed

- makes a weird clunky sound when printing but this sound doesn't appear to be anything to be alarmed about
- paper tray seems a little flimsy but so far no breakage
on 6 August 2013
great all in one printer, low cost printer, can recommend to home users, scan quality also great
wi fi easy connect
on 20 May 2013
The quietest inkjet printer I have owned, in comparison to ealier Brother and Epson printer virtually silent. Print quality is excellent, and the A3 facility will be useful for future poster production, and ink replacement are reasonably priced, though it should be noted that printer comes with 65% ink-cartridges, so heavy users should guarantee an additional set with purchase.

Only comment would be that the casing is not as robust as previous Brother printers, but it does make it exceedingly light and transportable, unlike some Brother heavyweights.
on 24 July 2014
Great value for money. I've never been disappointed with Brother equipment. Easy to setup and instal on our network. Has the ability fax direct from PC wirelessly which is a real bonus and overcomes 1 of 2 slight niggles with it.
1/ We use it as a group based fax/copier/printer/scanner and unfortunately it is situated in a corner away from a anyones in paricular work station. Therefore, to use the keypad to operate the machine you have to bend down to desk height to operate the keypad. A top mounted kepad or kepad at an angle would have been more ergonomically useful.
2/ When using the PC to fax it doesn't seem to pick up the stored numbers on the Brother machine and you have to create your own address/number book. Perhaps there is a teccy way to do this and maybe I need to contact Brother Support. I would've thought this function would be automatic.

However, overall very happy with this purchase and would highly recommend.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2014
I've been using this printer for a year and a bit now. Thought this would be the best time to write a review, It still goes perfectly. No problems, I have even printed a few tech drawings in A3 to preview before plotting and its remarkably accurate. If you print in A3 all the time then this printer isn't for you, and if your writing reviews slating its A3 printing capability then you probably should have read the manufacturers description more carefully. but if you need the occasional A3 print and heavy everyday reliability... Buy it!

as for cost of ink, I am using some multi pack from Amazon £10 odd for 3 sets of 4 cartridges. Works perfectly can't see quality difference and its certainly not clogging her up.

Wireless printing is awesome but if you use a public wifi (like in halls at uni) it wont work as well, a cable connection or personal hotspot on your phone will do the trick though.