on 15 September 2017
I bought the third six core AMD processor. My first one was a 6100 which is still working flawless in my desktop @ 4 GHz overclocked for at least five years now. The second is an FX6300 Black Edition in my older son's desktop, and the third one just recently bought to upgrade my old ACER X3300 desktop which I enhanced for my younger boy with a newer case with 400W PSU low profile GTX 750 Ti few more GB of RAM and now with this CPU. I am preferring the 6 core over 8 because of the much lower consumption (95W/125W max.)over not really noticeable less performance. In my machine the stock cooler is able to keep the processor around 50 C even gaming conditions, the older boy got a better cooler (Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo Air CPU Cooler "RR-TX3E-22PK-R1, 3 Heatpipes, 1x 92mm PWM Fan") but at installation we realised the overheating was caused by his dog's hair which blocked the air intake filter...

All in all these processors had never failed me ever and now (as always) they are relatively cheap compared to the performance they produce. I was thinking to upgrade to the new ryzen series but it is not really cost effective compared to the price of the energy I can save. So these processors will serve me for at least a good couple of years more.
on 14 November 2017
I bought this as part of a budget pc re-build where I still need a decent amount of cpu power, and as the old fried motherboard already had 8gb ddr3 installed and a decent Xigmatek AM3 air cooler which i didn't want to waste, I decided to go with this fx6300 cpu to upgrade the old phenom II X4 955 that had served my family so well for over 6 years.

At first I was worried that it may not be a worthy upgrade due to all the hate online for AMD's FX chips, however I have been blown away by the difference, especially in video encoding, where as with my old Phenom it would take me around 1x play speed of a blu-ray film to mp4 encode, the fx6300 literally halves the time!! and amazingly I am still able to work online and perform all daily tasks while this is happening without incurring any performance hit!! Hmm I can see why you would hate a £69 processor that has all that power........? a second hand beet up old i5 costs twice what this does new Plus the best upgrade is the running temp, where as the good old Phenom 955 at 3.2Ghz stock would hit over 50c while encoding full mp4's this FX 6300 at it's 3.5Ghz with 4.1Ghz turbo barley exceeds 35c!! on the exact same 6yr old air cooler...why do the haters say that it runs hot? I suppose if they overclock it within an inch of it's life for an extra 2fps haha.

So in short if you need a dependable workhorse pc, but don't have too much cash to spare, this even in 2017 is a solid choice, ok if you want 240fps in gta 5 and haven't desovered ps4/xbox one then it's probably not for you :) just remeber to sell your car to buy that nice new i7.
on 7 August 2015
Again amd delivers! Intel is better than amd but for the price you can not deny it! The best amd CPU compared to the best Intel has a big price range, Intel is only slightly better and for over £80 more than the amd 8350!

Anyway this CPU is great for the price, upgraded from a fx 4100 and I can see the difference already, everything is smoother, programs start up faster, open world games are better and even rendering videos are better! It is not the best CPU on the market, but for the price and what you get is very good as the amd 8350 is not that much better than this one! Overall happy with the buy and definitley recommend if you are going to build your own rig. Make sure you get a better heat sink than stock if you plan to overclock!
review image
6 people found this helpful
on 3 July 2016
I think that the FX-6300 is an absolutely great CPU, I have owned this for about a year now and I still have no complaints about it to this day, it has great overclocking abilities as I have personally overclocked mine to 4.4GHz from the stock 3.5GHz and it is perfectly stable under load. The one thing i would consider if i were going to buy this again would be wether it is worth buying the FX-8350 for the extra money as everyone knows more cores are better but it also uses more power and costs more!
on 18 September 2017
I bought this processor over 3 years ago for my first ever computer build. It came recommended at the time as a cheap but powerful entry level processor that would handle all but the most trying games and software.

Although I have since built other computers, I can still to this day boot up the computer that this is installed on and enjoy a good gaming session on even modern games. It isn't always churning out 60fps on high settings, and sometimes I've had to battle with config files to get it to do so, but that's not something I'm going to complain about. I've already had more than my moneys worth of use from this product and it remains functional and capable even now.

This processor is becoming outdated, as they all are, and so at this point in it's life cycle I can't 100% recommend this now. I don't think it will hold up well with the latest releases another 3 years from now. However, my experience with it has definitely been five star worthy!
One person found this helpful
on 4 January 2016
I bought this as an emergency replacement for my previous i3 3220 and it performs vey nicely in terms of gaming, I bought a 750 ti along with it and I am able run cs:go at 160FPS and fallout 4 at 60+. Unlike my old CPU, it does not slow down when I run multiple low end programs like skype, 6+ tabs of chrome, steam, an antivirus(in my case Avast) + a game so no complaints there either!

The stock cooler it comes with is ridiculously mediocre. This was my first time buying from AMD and I have to say I am terribly disappointed with the temps. When I used the max performance settings on their power management software I was at 80 degrees on load. Is this the turbo boost function being too much? I don't know but after I disabled it my temperature is now which is 70 degrees on load which is literally JUST on the precipice of being throttled according to AMD Overdrive so If I want to overclock this bad boy I will be needing to spend even more on an after market cooler.

In comparison my previous CPU which is only slightly worse than this in terms of single thread performance was at 40 degrees on load at 1/4 the overall power consumption. Though that being said, it was only a dual core and would bottlenecked most medium range GPUs or above.

In terms of price efficiency it's definitely a good deal if you're utilising all of the cores it but in hindsight fellow budget gamers like me could have gone with a cheaper x4 965 and gotten the same, if not better, results had I used the money I saved to buy a better GPU and/or an SSD.

To conclude, the 6300 is pretty good for a midrange, 6 core CPU especially if you're ocing but can do better if you're a gamer hellbent on getting the most efficient prices out of everything.
on 8 July 2017
great value for money. a bit old now but still decent. only problem is that you either need a graphics card or a motherboard with on board graphics in order to use the cpu as the cpu does not have integrated graphic built in to the cpu. I don't think there is a better cpu at this price point though.
on 5 April 2015
great cpu for the price when i purchased it in the am3+ socket with enough to play most games at moderate processing levels to support them arma3 plays well battlefield 3 and 4 too just fine it does well with enough to run teamspeak and music or media player also without problems all at the same time. with extra cpu power to spare it will do more also i just dont push it that far. do not think this is graphics card also as it is not an APU i have 3 machines with this in it round the house it just does the job nicely for most uses if your choosing AMD other cpu's do better and worse this is just a bit above the average gaming capable cpu it will overclock but i do not intend to do this. so i will not comment on it. it ramps up to 4.1 easily. i suggest if doing any overclocks you study the subject first and take any advice seriously as damagung the cpu is certainly possible and many videos out there demonstrate this
One person found this helpful
on 23 May 2015
My last Built was 7-8 years ago, at that time i bought the Q9550 Intel cpu that ran great for many many years. So coming up with a new spec for a new built, i was keen on trying the AMD for 2 reasons - improvement over old designs- Amd is cathcing up to intel IMO , and it has vastly improve over the years from when i studied computing ( 10+ years ago) and secondly price, for this price the direct competition would be an entry level i5 although there is much pro's and con's. In the real world you probably wouldn't notice much. I unpacked my CPU's ,disable the quiet and power saving function, overclocked the speed to 4.3GHZ at all times and my computer is pretty much works with everything i thought at it and the best thing was my built only cost me £300 ( not including graphic card).
on 29 June 2016
Bought this on 1st of December 2015!?
Wow, time flies.
Anyway, been using it over half a year. Runs great. Manages to run all the new games without a problem. Haven't overclocked it as i have the stock fan. Might change it later as playing games such as Battlefield 3 increases the temperature to 65 Celsius. Gets quite hot in the room.
On idle, browsing the internet, or watching videos, the temperature is stable at 43 to 45 Celsius.

Easy to install. Comes with pre-applied thermal paste. Took about 5 mins to put it on my motherboard. Ez!