Customer reviews

The Top Rank Story 1960
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 November 2012
I always thought that the short lived Top Rank label was worthy of greater reverence. Now we see the results of thoughtful track selection in this new 'Story' release. Traversing the three years of this ambitious label before it was squeezed out of business by the big boys, we can see that its stature was not far off the legendary London American gold standard. This series concentrates mainly on the US tracks licenced over here. I'd guess that the sales figures for the 45s on initial release would have been dismal, but thank goodness the compiler has not taken the easy root of putting the most obvious tracks on this series. Some of the smartest US labels tried to interest the UK public in their streets ahead productions - Harold Dorman's 'Mountain Of Love' and the Crests 'Step By Step' are just two such gems. UK artists aren't ignored - Gary Mills - 'Top Teen Baby' is a standout. Nice touch to see the original Top Rank release number against each track. A follow up CD for 1960 might be difficult - this one has the best of the releases.
8 people found this helpful
on 25 August 2012
My generation was brought up on Jack Jackson (Decca and London, mainly) and Kent Walton (exclusively) bringing us good sounds through Radio Luxemburg. Here is a CD right up my own street, and if I have a regret it is that there are one or two 60s classics not there. But instead the CD includes several very hard to get tracks which I own in vinyl from the USA but which are impossible to find on the UK Top Rank label. My favourite pop single of all time is there, the beautifully crafted What In The World's Come Over You, by Jack Scott, and despite the odd Garry Mills single and one or two cover versions of other labels' hits this is a splendid investment.
19 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2018
ok
on 15 November 2017
I bought for the songs. I haven't got, a good disc.
on 22 February 2013
I have one or two tracks on this and the sister albums covering the years of 1959 & 1961 respectively but there are so many that I missed and, of course, its quite handy having them all packaged together on two Cds.
on 18 January 2016
MANY FAIRLY OBSCURE TRACKS HERE-THE BRITISH COVER VERSIONS ARE INVARIABLY INFERIOR TO THE U.S. ORIGINALS
on 24 December 2012
The Top Rank record label was short lived,but brought some great artistes to the British record buyers attention. Also,it helped Joe Meek to cut his teeth,recording wise.
on 16 April 2013
This is a great series of classic tracks from this great record label. The series is well produced and includes so many well known and slighlty less well known titles. Shall look out for other labels in this series
on 17 July 2014
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.
on 9 June 2013
I bought this product for my father, he seems very satisfied with itt and thats the most I can say about it.