Customer reviews

on 16 February 2013
This is, the subtitle claims, a theography. A biography of God, you might say - more specifically, God the Son. This is the story of Jesus Christ, and yet the book does not begin at Bethlehem but way back into the never-begun beginning of the triune heart of God (my phrase, not the authors'!)

This is an absorbing book that takes time to read (and I confess I have not finished it yet!). The authors' trace Jesus through scripture, both Old Testament and New. Some of their interpretations are challenging and may cause disagreement, some are real eye-openers - heart burners, the stories the disciples on the road to Emmaus must have experienced when an incognito Jesus talked them through the Scriptures.

Having studied theology, I'm familiar with the principle of taking things in context. I have, in the past, been challenged to take off my `New Testament' specs while reading the Old Testament. This book challenges me to put them back on - and it's been at times uncomfortable, like going against a habit I've taught myself to practise. But I remind myself - if Jesus is as important as I claim he is, then it is not strange that he should be vibrantly present in the Old Testament. And I'm left gasping at the beauty of the triune God.

A rich and rewarding read; I recommend it.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
on 1 January 2015
If you are interested in truly understanding why Jesus and why christianity this is the book for you. The idea of telling the story of Jesus chronologically is shockingly fresh and new and gives you a better understanding of the reality of Jesus both historically and for believers today.
on 8 June 2013
I have to confess that I am a Frank Viola and NT Wright fan, but this book is tremendous. It opens your eyes to the fullness of Jesus without denying either His humanity or divinity. It is a long read, but well worth it.
on 16 November 2016
Fascinating read that opens new ideas on the life of Jesus. Genuinly read the whole thing in a week and has left me thinking ever since from all i learned. if you want to know more about the man we call jesus... Read it. And have your eyes opened!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 February 2013
it is such a book for bible study not to read once and dropped it is so wonderful having personally. thanks
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse