Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I first read the original edition of this book when it was published ten years ago. A copy fell off a display at a station book stall in front of me. I picked it up and glanced through it. At the time I was in a work situation which I didn't like and which I really needed to shut up and move on from so the book hit exactly the right note and I bought a copy.

It was a pleasure to renew my acquaintance with the book in this tenth anniversary edition. It has lost none of its freshness over the years. I love the little cartoons which reinforce the messages. This is a quirky self help book which does not assume you can be perfect just by reading it. It includes a lot of the usual things such as changing the messages you give yourself; looking at people and situations from a different perspective trying to be positive. But it also suggests there are times when you actually need to just accept that you're feeling unhappy for whatever reason.

'Hippo Time' is when you need to wallow in your feelings of sadness or anger over something which has happened so that you get them out of your system. You have to be able to accept your feeling in order to move on. The book emphasises that you have to take responsibility for your own life and actions. Even if you can't control events which affect you, you can control your reactions to those events.

As with any self help book, the author's writing style has a big part to play in whether or not this book is of use to you. I found the author's style resonates with me and this book really did help me ten years ago and re-reading it now has reminded me of things I can do to improve my current situation
on 7 November 2014
Paul McGee is excellent - I have seen him present his SUMO concept and this book covers all you need to know in order to get what you want out of every difficult situation and life itself . I love this book and have recommended it dozens of times. A must have for people with open minds who are willing to look at things from different angles.
on 7 July 2017
Love a bit of Hippo Time :-)
on 13 August 2017
Great service and good quality book for price
on 7 November 2016
Bring consiousness into your life and take control. Ultimately we are all responsible for putting ourselves in the drivers set of our lives. Don't wear the victim t-shirt when you can wear the S.U.M.O t-shirt instead.
on 24 October 2011
Did the schools version with work, and thought it was great, so bought the book. It's all about changing your mind set, stop feeling sorry for yourself, think positive and move on - if things aren't working the way you've always done them, then change things! I have read it myself, passed it on to my partner, and there is a que of friends and family waiting to read it! Would definitely recommend this, life-changing!
on 2 December 2016
What a book! There is a reason it is a best seller. SO memorable - the mental pictures Paul paints mean that the wisdom just sticks. So much in here has been shared with others since I discovered it a few years ago - this is a book everybody should read - regularly!
on 7 April 2011
Reading this i instantly recognized aspects which had been amalgamated from other source such as 'how to win friends and influence people, the 7 habits of successful people, getting things done etc. Thus the ideas themselves were not particularly original. What is original is the way they are combined in a lucid/concise text, honed down to the key messages rather than being sprawled across hundreds of pages. Also the insights into the authors own life seem more genuine than in those other books which makes it marginally more absorbing.

At about 200 pages its a quick read and quite entertaining. I think you would be hard pressed not to derive some extra motivational energy or feel good factor from reading this book and I would certainly recommend it.
on 24 April 2017
Interesting and thought provoking book with some clear and simple ideas
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The key premise for this book is that every outcome, to each event, is the sum of that event plus one's response to it: events can be life changing, but the way we are able to meet the trials of events and respond can be life changing also. SUMO, shut up and move on, is not about ignoring, accepting or complaining about the things we face in life, but about not being so burdened as to be completely helpless. It is about having goals and realistic means to achieving those goals, being positive and not negative etc. much like any of a myriad of self-help books, but I personally, found that this book resonates better than most, largely due to an entirely practical approach rather than metaphysical or spiritual - nothing wrong with these approaches, but pragmatism has its benefits. I don't know whether the book could change your life, but it certainly helps to put things into perspective, particularly in the way we look at and meet challenges and define a purpose for our existence and not give up. I enjoyed reading SUMO and have gained some key advice from it: for this reason I think that it deserves 5 stars, being a book upon which you can build and is just about BS free. A good and positive read.