Top critical review
6 people found this helpful
same old same old
on 16 December 2013
Combination of Twilight (2000 year old bloodsucker) with 50 Shades (controlling rich dude) and a submissive inane heroine lacking intelligence, backbone and basic logic.
Heroine: have you ever read the account of a woman suffering domestic abuse? Well there you go....
Hero: glaring irregularities.
1. I'm not sure if the author has secret Gulf Arab sheikh fantasies but she's played them out here. The heroes (and all K men) appear to be black-haired, bronze skinned, tall and authoritarian. Either that or she's got a fetish for the Taliban.
2. Typical characteristics of a Neanderthal/ Cave man (possessive, believes in female ownership and inequality, and judicial killings) but is meant to be 2k years old from a mature older race... Than surely they'd be enlightened? Using armed warfare would equate to being primitive.
In fact considering their small population (K's are inclined to reproduce less (not as fertile as humans) but live longer) and their use of brain mass (K's are highly evolved intellectually) surely after exceeding a billion years the evolutionary outcome would be a race that would be rendered with telepathic (and Psychokinesis/ telekinesis) aibilitis and minimal animalistic tendencies/inclinations. Basically a low sex drive, non-violent, control over emotions etc.
This is disturbing. I'm not against dominating/ dubious consent stuff. If that's what u like - better to feed your fantasy via text than in reality. However, this author finds the idea of outright rape distasteful hence according to the hero as long as the heroine is enjoying the "forced seduction" then its only borderline rape - so ok. Dude - if you're going to infringe those essential liberties than go all the way rather than tease your audience with a semi-rapist control freak stalker. And don't - JUST DO NOT - justify such behavior. If it's your kink - fine. But don't think it's ok. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE is NOT ok.
However, most disturbing was the references to the heroine resembling a 10 year old. Basically she doesn't have the body that most erotic novel heroines do (i.e. curves otherwise the sex is with a stick. You wouldn't want a hero less endowed hence vice versa).
So when the hero falls for our heroine, it's due primarily because she resembles a frightened 10 year old running from the big bad wolf.
Issues/ Contradictions/ Illogical
1. Mention of Oil Rich Sheikh.
- considering the K's are here to prevent the further destruction of planet earth from immature humans; than one would assume that they'd immediately introduce clean transportation (like using telepods). Surely for an advance race (that's been existence for billions of years)- this would require little to no effort.
2. The humans have signed a treaty with the K leadership. No mention if a global treaty or if the USA is speaking for the whole world (I mean I know our friends across the pond have world domination in mind - but I think the Chinese combined Russian strength has put paid to that ambition with a declining global reserve).
3. Humans are a subspecies whom the K's despise due to their inferiorty, which the K's say is manifested by their selfish, ignorant and emotional state of being. However, Korom isn't exactly in control of his emotiotional state and hardly resembles a sophisticated enlightened being. He resembles the cavemen type - it doesn't make sense.
...loads more btu can't be bothered to go into it.