on 3 August 2016
I was enjoying this, despite the desperate need of editing, until
I got to the chapter about the Enfield Poltergeist. It was Janet who was the epicentre of the phenomenon and was levitated, etc., not Margaret, as stated here.
When the chapter on Hughie Green opened with a statement declaring he was "Canadian-born" I had to stop.
Two seconds on Google confirmed he was London born and bred, so I had to stop reading; I had no confidence in anything this author wrote.
on 12 May 2013
4 stars for this book although it has some good tales,some of them have appeared in other books,its ok to read on a rainy afternoon.if you like your scary tales a bit serious,this book is a little tongue in cheek.it could have been better.
on 13 August 2013
Badly formatted and full of typos. Atrociously written, especially for someone who has supposedly been writing for over 20 years and full of the author's opinions, dogma and crackpot logic. Thank God I only wasted £2 on it.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2013
A two year old could do better.Worst author I have ever come across .I would recommend reading a children's novel
Instead of wasting time on this trash
on 24 November 2014
A handy little compendium of the weird and wonderful including the much overblown Clapham Wood saga associated with Charles Walker (who seems a little too short of convincing evidence) and Toyne Newton (whose purple conspiracy theory machinations enter the realms of Icke- son-of-god-here wonderland). Folklore experts cracked this old chestnut long ago (something not even alluded to by 'Della Farrant' in her recent podcast).
Talking of Della, David Farrant (who claims to be her husband) is taken to task here, along with his too-long-a-time nemesis Sean Manchester, in a segment on the Highgate Vampire/apparition (!?!) . The naughty boys are accused of childish bickering in need of strict disciplinarian treatment. Go to it young Della !
on 3 April 2013
A nice selection of popular tales and places with a more personal take/opinion on each story. I quite enjoyed this style of writing and this book kept my attention.
A good quantity as well, - I`m so sick and tired of finding what look like interesting titles on Amazon only to find the content is 10 maybe 20 pages long.(rip-offs).
This is not one of those books.
A good Read.
on 3 January 2014
Strange Tales

Fantastic book with really entertaining and funny asides. Will definitely read more by this author.
Looking on Amazon now!
on 22 January 2016
It was ok, quite informative but not a huge fan of the author's writing style.....too many unnecessary exclamation marks and dull anecdotes from her own visits to places.
on 30 June 2016
I have enjoyed this book very much and found many of the stories interesting. Some of the mysteries involved great tales involving haunted locations.
on 6 August 2014
I didn't expect much from this, I read the reviews and expected lightweight bedtime reading. I'm glad I was wrong.

Having read about phenomena for thirty years this book worked on two levels. Firstly it introduced me to strange tales I'd not come across such as the Hungarian wives, the aristocrat torturer of women and the revolting New Orleans tale. Secondly it refreshed me on the well known tales such as Borley and Loch Ness with updates and best of all, the authors witty observations and withering put downs of fakes and idiots drawn to the supernatural e.g. those who turned up at Borley while she was there.

I discovered this via reading about Clapham Wood, having been interested in the place since reading about it in 'The Unexplained' series of magazines 20 years ago. The authors incredulity and analysis mirrored my own.

In short, the backbone of the book is the personal style of the author. I've read hundreds of dry descriptive books on the strange side of life but none where the author gives you witty and dry asides, a good contrast with the earnest style of the usual.

I've ordered the second, please keep them coming.