Great compilation this one. Never heard of most of it but it's always to pick up new stuff you've never heard before plus you can always trust Craig to keep you right
on 26 November 2012
I was very excited when I heard this was coming out, and managed to buy a copy at the Manchester album launch party. I'm already familiar with most of the songs from the Club nights, and I've been lucky enough to have caught The Excitements, Federation of the Disco Pimp, The Haggis Horns and Speedometer with Martha High live at these gigs over the last year or so (with other artists, like Smoove & Turrell and Lack of Afro, on my list of those I'm still desperate to see). The other songs I've heard played on the radio show.

I've only been listening to funk and soul music for a few years, so I won't say much about each track, and the clips from the full playlist are available to listen to here. I love the variety on the album, and I was really happy with the track choice for each of the artists. There are some amazing covers of classic funk songs, so it's hard to pick out my best tracks, but 'The Clap Hands Song' is my favourite to (attempt to) dance to, followed closely by 'Rocket Man', which appeals to the Red Dwarf fan in me. And Al Wilson's classic 'The Snake' is one of my all-time favourite songs, which I will never, ever tire of listening to. But there's not a single track on here I'd want to skip over.

Playing the album straight through, as I've done a few times now, really does capture the atmosphere and energy of the Club, and it's correctly advertised as a party album. It's a proper feel good CD, and I know I'll be playing this a lot! Especially in the car on the way to work, as that's when I most need to be reminded of the amazing weekends I've had. Even if you're not into clubbing, it's an excellent compilation of great quality music, so there can't be many people this won't appeal to. I really like the way the CD is presented too. The booklet has a good biography, the usual track info, some lovely photos, and a really sweet acknowledgements bit. I've read that this record is part of a three-album deal for Craig Charles, so I can't wait to see what else he brings out on the next one.
on 29 December 2013
I saw Craig DJ at Glastonbury 2013 and then when home and bought the album. One of the coolest DJ sets i have ever seen!
on 26 November 2012
Craig Charles is one of the biggest advocated of funk and soul music in the UK, so it was surely only a matter of time before he put together a compilation of some of his favourite tracks.

This is an absolute belter, containing tracks from the likes of; Alice Russell, Smoove & Turrell, Lack Of Afro and The Bamboos. 19 tracks of hard hitting funk and soul drenched in breaks and powerful vocal hooks!

If you like funk and soul, you need this.
on 6 October 2013
If you like gutsy, sweaty, dirty, grindy dance sounds. Then you'll love every track on this compilation, it starts like a race gun and doesn't let up.
on 4 December 2013
everything that you would expect from the master of funk and soul. nice one craig - theyre boss tunes! top!
on 1 October 2013
Great Album !!! Great DJ !! Love the album. Got this CD at Christmas and it still gets played loads :D
on 24 December 2012
Some strange funky covers - but a great listen! Insane in the membrane cover - worth a listen, strange at first but AWESOME!
on 29 December 2012
good music from the start! a good mix, I have had in my car for the last 3 weeks and still listening!
on 4 November 2016
I try and listen to Craig's show each week. Unfortunately I didn't find this reflected the show and probably I won't listen to this very often at all.