Customer reviews

on 14 October 2012
A cracking read. In-depth characters and wreaks of good research. The story races along at a thumping pace - visceral battle scenes, full of surprises with a really believable hero and a treacherous villain.
More please nick morris!
on 4 July 2017
I cannot praise this book highly enough, it had everything. A tale of riches to rags and back again. Lost love, murder, revenge, grisly descriptions of fighting, both in battle and in the arena. This was a first class story, well recommended.
on 12 February 2013
Engrossing from the first to the last page. Great Story.
Will definately be reading any other books by this author and especially if they continue where this book ended.
on 21 January 2013
Fantastic easy read, I read it straight away from cover to cover. I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the story line an the characters. I look forward to the next chapter.
on 8 May 2013
I wasn't, really, expecting that much from this book and I've never heard of Nick Morris before. So it was pleasantly surprising to find that this book is engaging, well paced, historically authoritative and thoroughly enjoyable. It certainly doesn't feel like someone's first book. As a story, it's like an amalgam of the HBO TV series 'Spartacus: Blood & Sand' and the film 'Gladiator' so there's not too much original stuff here but the fine detail of the historical context is spot on and really transports the reader into the locations.

There was just one jar in the story for me; surprising given Mr Morris's impressive credentials as a martial artist. That was when the hero, having been speared in the chest by a hugely powerful man, grabs the spear shaft with one hand and manages to hold it so still that the beast of an opponent can neither drive the blade home nor pull it out. Hmmm.

Unfortunately, Mr Morris has been very ill served by the keyboard pixies at Kindle who have mangled the job of translating the text into fluent 'Kindle'. I lost count of the number of times 'worst' was used when 'worse' should have been. Mr Morris's fluidity of writing was jarred by the clumsy Kindle rendition. If I was NM I wouldn't bother complaining, I'd just go around there and rip off someone's head; it's a shame to waste all of that special forces experience.

If every author writes his first book about what he knows best, then I can see a history teacher, historical warfare buff and serious martial artist in War Raven. The authority shows. I just hope that Nick Morris can find another book in there somewhere because I would, certainly, buy it.
on 27 February 2013
Plenty of action in this Rome based fictional recreation of the life of a gladiator slave.

Heavily influenced by the movie Gladiator, and the recent Spartacus tv series, if you are looking some immersive violence with the stereotypical gaul vs roman backdrop then this is the book for you
on 16 February 2013
Really enjoyed this book, quite a quick read and definitely worth it, had me hooked almost instantly. Would definitely recommend.
on 13 March 2013
I enjoyed this book enormously,good storyline.plenty of action.Highly recommended to any one who likes this type of book.Buy it now.
on 23 March 2013
Nicholas Morris has created a hero in Guntram who stirs the imagination and is well worth another tale or two. The other main players fit very well into the story too. All in all it was a very good read.
on 20 March 2013
I like this genre and to be fair it started out really well, I liked the time he took and depth of colour as the hero discovered his new environment I felt his amazement at entering Rome the smells, sights and descriptions very good almost novel as I have not seen any other writer do this. The latter part of the book was very hurried, things happened so quickly you were going back to read it again to make sure there wasn't a page missing. It felt like he had got bored and lost interest in his subject matter or maybe he was desperate to go to the toilet I don't know, this was a good story lost, a poor and lazy finale sorry.