on 12 September 2015
This products is really overrated. The setup is very difficult and quite unreliable (and this is coming from someone who knows a fair bit about networking). The wireless playback is hopeless with constant audio dropouts - even with a router only about 10 meters away - my iPhone plays back fine, so it's not a network issue. Even with a wired connection it's not 100% reliable. In addition Airplay is very slow to respond - hit pause and wait a few seconds for the pause to actually happen - dreadful user interface design. The audio dropout issues alone make it useless as an audiophile device. Then the sound quality itself is lacking in my opinion. The high frequency response is poor; voices lack clarity. The bass is ok, but also sounds slightly muffled. I have an old Pure DAB radio which has far better sound quality. I'm baffled by the positive reviews of this device in the press.
on 18 April 2013
This is a great little product from B&W. I recently bought an iPhone5, which unfortunately made my Klipsch speaker dock redundant, and so i had been on the look out for a new Airplay speaker which would allow me to wirelessly stream my music from my iPhone to the new device. I read a several reviews on the A5, compared the A5 to the A7 in John Lewis (the A7 is too expensive and large for my requirements) and went for the A5. Setting it up was a piece of cake, the instructions that came with the A5 made it all very straight forward and easy. Switching between the sound coming from the device or through the A5 is also very easy to do. The A5 looks fantastic, with a very high quality look and build. The sound does not disappoint. At all. So rich and clear with great bass. It fills my 13 feet by 10 feet kitchen easily with sound, with a quality that does not disappoint. So I'm very happy with my purchase (thought I don't think my neighbour in the flat below would completely agree with this statement :)
on 19 January 2013
Like everyone else states, the sound quality and clarity from this unit is simply superb. Set-up could be easier using airplay but once it connects and talks to your network your frustration is quickly overcome by the complete sound.
The A5 also accepts conventional wired audio-in, we have used this input to create an alternative to a sound bar for the television - it works perfectly and toggles seamlessly between Wi-Fi airplay and TV.
Use the A5 as an outstanding sound dock AND as a sound bar for your TV - then it becomes a real piece of value equipment.
Very highly recommended.
on 28 January 2015
Drops of the wifi.
Modern house and dozens of things hooked to the wifi happily. go to use this and 1 time in 3 you are re-booting.
Sound is average at best.
Most Expensive item in the house for music outside of the HiFi.
If you really want an airplay device look at the apple airport express: it is a wifi booster, but has an audio out. then you can pick your own speakers.
or apple tv and whatever 5.1 variant of the Sony BDVN590 is most recent. Blue Ray, smart TV features. surround sound for your tv and better sound for music than this.

I have sent this back to Bowers and Wilkins to fix the Wifi and an unrelated power issue. both are back.
on 28 October 2012
Hi
Dont normally write reviews but thought i just had to with this B&W A5. I totally agree with the first review written as i too did my homework regarding the numerous types of speaker docks on the market, after listening to the B&W Zepplin, Zepplin Mini, Jawbone, Philips, Sonos, i decided to wait for this bad boy before making my decision. After a week or so waiting for the arrival of the A5, It does not disappoint. Also adding a little about the BT Home hub 3, I bought a home hub 3 as the home hub 2 was dropping the signal between 2 and 30 minutes, the new hub 3 works fantastically with this A5, i was playing music from the ipad, surfing the internet on it too, two mobile phones wirelessly connected, a pc running and a smart tv connected to internet. Not one signal drop in over 6 hours. Fantastic.Bowers & Wilkins A5 Wireless Music System B&W
on 20 June 2013
I was lucky enough to receive the A5 as a 40th Birthday gift. I had been umming and aahing for quite a long time as to which wireless speakers would best suit, to the point I stopped looking (hence the gift I guess!). The sound is amazing - I listen to a wide range of genres and all were flawless...... I wish I could do into a diatribe about bass/treble levels & vocal clarity, but thats not really how I listen to music. In very simple terms this is a great speaker, the sound is crisp, the set-up easy and there is never any connection issues..... Great piece of kit, worth the money - its up to you!
on 29 April 2013
Great looks and fantastic sound. This speaker looks stylish, sounds great and is so easy to set up and use. I had a few initial issues with the set up due to having super fast broadband, but simply resetting the broadband router fixed this quickly.
on 6 May 2015
When it works it works well. But it does not always work and it often loses connection with my router, which is a BT Homehub 5. I would have thought that, given the price of this, a better wifi connection could be made considering that both of my Apple TVs are further away from my router, cost less than 1/4 of this, and never lose wifi signal.
It would not be so bad if the designers had included bluetooth in the box, but they didn't ...
on 26 August 2015
I have had this product for a year now and have managed to put up with the occasional droop off. Now, my iTunes does not recognise it, each time I turn it on. I now have to do a factory reset every time I want to use it. I have looked for information about this on the internet, but am no clearer as to why this happens. I also notice that there are many customers who have similar problems. Fortunately, I have a spare Apple Express, which I plug into the A7. Works fine, but that is not what I paid for.
on 27 September 2014
I'll start by saying that I'm a sound engineer and music producer and have had a lot of experience with sound systems at all kinds of price points. This dock really looks the part and the wireless functionality is great but the sound quality is shocking. I ran an A/B comparison with my Bose dock and a set of studio monitors which were both considerably cheaper and both blew the A5 out of the water. The sound is unbalanced and they have a rather weak low end but the real problem is the harsh and piercing resonances you get at certain frequencies. Not a pleasant listening experience especially for this price range! I will be returning the speaker which is a real shame as it looks the business